All things Dundee FC

14 minutes ago, Crawford said:

No I made it a big deal as I got it in memory of my son and another one for the rest of us.

The email I sent long before the planning day reveal and the response was "should the club decide to leave Dens Park in the future the 'in with the bricks' shall be relocated to the new site".

Nelms pretty much said the same thing but with a cheesy American "the bricks are important to the fans so they are important to me" or some nonsense. Fairly safe to say it will cost a bob but so will the whole project.

Sorry to hear the reason you got yours - ours are for older family in the 'High stand' ourselves so I hated the thought of them getting demolished.

I hope Nelms is true to his word on it, as it would be a nice touch to preserve them along with some of the other historic parts of Dens.

Wha happened to the old clock that used to be in the corner of the main stand and the shankly?

Seem to remember it fell down during a storm during the 1st Division day’s...probably around 2009...no idea what happened to it though.

1 hour ago, derrybiy said:

Wha happened to the old clock that used to be in the corner of the main stand and the shankly?

One of the first things I think about when I think of dens. When I was a bairn if my dad forgot to put his watch on he would tell me to keep an eye on the time when we kicked off 

6 hours ago, Crawford said:

No I made it a big deal as I got it in memory of my son and another one for the rest of us.

The email I sent long before the planning day reveal and the response was "should the club decide to leave Dens Park in the future the 'in with the bricks' shall be relocated to the new site".

Nelms pretty much said the same thing but with a cheesy American "the bricks are important to the fans so they are important to me" or some nonsense. Fairly safe to say it will cost a bob but so will the whole project.

Sorry to hear about the circumstances Crawford, and I feel the same way.  We got my Gramps a brick as a surprise and he enjoyed that greatly, but sadly he went off to the high stand just a few year ago at the age of 85. He attended his first game as a 5 year old in the 30's, and witnessed the ultimate highs and the depths of disaster following the Dee.

Even though my family on all sides are Dees he was the main force for instilling it in me, and it would be a real kick in the plums if they didn't try to have those as part of a new stadium design or even worse just brought out the sledgehammers. And before anyone says that'll never happen -Dundee (the city) has a pretty notorious reputation for just destroying old landmarks willy nilly for various reasons - £££'s - without a second thought to historic value. I'll stop there as to not go on a major rant about that!

Edited by CanadianDee

6 hours ago, stu2910 said:

Seem to remember it fell down during a storm during the 1st Division day’s...probably around 2009...no idea what happened to it though.

It's an absolute travesty that's not been repaired. I'd love that at the new stadium. That clock means more to me than any scoreboard ever will. Memories.

With regard to the bricks it would probably be easier to get them remade than to salvage them. I’ve got several - I’ve never seen any of them in situ, so that would probably suit me. Somewhere like in the foyer of the new main stand.

I see the Viking Stadion has rail links right outside it. Is there plans for transport links from the city to the ground? With the location of the new ground - this is surely a must? Bring back the tram I say! Dundee tram from city centre to the ground along the Waterfront would be absolutely class.

New stadium design has to be as close to the pitch as possible otherwise you face the danger of becoming a McDiarmid Park with the corners filled in...

1 hour ago, jamamafegan said:

I see the Viking Stadion has rail links right outside it. Is there plans for transport links from the city to the ground? With the location of the new ground - this is surely a must? Bring back the tram I say! Dundee tram from city centre to the ground along the Waterfront would be absolutely class.

New stadium design has to be as close to the pitch as possible otherwise you face the danger of becoming a McDiarmid Park with the corners filled in...

The transport links are going to be questionable.

At the moment it's a 28 that will get you off at Liff road then walk through the subway but I believe that route is getting changed next year so no idea what the plan is there. I doubt stagecoach or Xplore want us "hooligans" on their services so don't see them putting one on either.

As for the stadium it's 3-4 shallow ascending rows at pitch side and then 4-9 steep rows behind if I remember the drawings correctly. 

It will be smart. Unlike the airport terminal of a mainstand hearts just built.

The transport links are going to be questionable.
At the moment it's a 28 that will get you off at Liff road then walk through the subway but I believe that route is getting changed next year so no idea what the plan is there. I doubt stagecoach or Xplore want us "hooligans" on their services so don't see them putting one on either.
As for the stadium it's 3-4 shallow ascending rows at pitch side and then 4-9 steep rows behind if I remember the drawings correctly. 
It will be smart. Unlike the airport terminal of a mainstand hearts just built.

I like the sound of the rows, bit more unique.

However this stadium should never have been given the go ahead until transport is sorted. What do they expect fans to do? Get a taxi from town? Walk from Invergowrie station? If there’s any sense, a buses will be designated on match days to take people from town - people will quickly stop going to games if there’s no simple way of getting there.

46 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

However this stadium should never have been given the go ahead until transport is sorted. What do they expect fans to do? Get a taxi from town? Walk from Invergowrie station? If there’s any sense, a buses will be designated on match days to take people from town - people will quickly stop going to games if there’s no simple way of getting there.

......ah I see, so that's what happened when McDiarmid was developed

There's the existing bus links to the camperdown leisure park too - not sure what number of bus it is but they're fairly regular.

I'd imagine that's been part of any discussion with the council over the last couple of years tho as they won't want to miss out on the cash thousands of fans will bring to the city centre pubs/restaurants.

Apparently the formal application is away to be submitted so I guess there will be access statements amongst all the detailed information and drawings...

There is a bus stop planned for the stadium itself with the idea that extra bus services will be on. I don't think it's the sort of thing that can be pre-negotiated in full detail, can only have the council give a nod and say that they will be open to it.

For what it's worth, the existing 28 is pretty regular and gets you off at what would be a good point for access. I wouldn't imagine it'd be dramatically changed and even if it was, they could maybe do another stop on match day etc. I wouldn't imagine sorting the busses would be too difficult.

It's not an ideal situation and we are admittingly losing a bit but I think we can sort a lot of these things.

2 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

What if Dundee lay on a mini bus when St Johnstone visit?  That should take care of the away support.

The out of town situation of McDiarmid Park certainly is a contributing factor in our support. At Muirton it was a short walk from the centre of town and station even. Aberdeen will also be affected when they move out of the city.

11 minutes ago, ReturnOfTheMack said:

Personally, I think we should lay on pies laced with rat poison when those c***s come into town.

I heard one of the compelling arguments we put forward was that the location of the new stadium will mean that the Saints fans won't need to come too far into our fine city and frighten the locals too much