All things Dundee FC

Here’s a thought.

Once we are in the new ground we will be looking to sell Dens, assuming we have bought it back like Nelms said.

Chances are the most profitable choice would be to sell it for housing. But what if the biggest offer comes from across the road? Would we be happy to see them use it as they please? Could be a fantastic facility for them whether they use it as a charged car park or training facilities or whatever. Could we bear that for the right price?

11 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

McDiarmid has hosted a couple of relatively big gigs: Elton John and Lionel Ritchie, so Dens with a new stand could surely do the same.

Not unless they knock down a swathe of nearby houses for a car park, they won't. For all its flaws McDiarmid has a huge parking area and is a couple of minutes from two major roundabouts to all ends of the country. That's why its held so many events that have nothing to do with Saints. 

Dundee need to leave Dens if they want a similar income stream. It comes at a non-monetary cost, though. 

are you sure mate? im sure it came out when the initial plans were submitted that it was listed and would therefore limit any development. i may be wrong or that may have been a dream!
The council website shows all the listed buildings in the city and it appears that the Main Stand isn't one of them. It's a dying breed of Archibald Leitch stands and it will be a crying shame when it is flattened.

For all the ridicule Dens gets from opposition fans it's a popular away day. Whenever I am working down south the one thing that people mention when I say I'm a Dundee fan is the closeness of the two grounds in the city.

It's clear that the old ground is holding the club back however. Hopefully in the future when I'm down south people will be asking about our latest trophy win rather than just how close we play to our rivals[emoji6].

15 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

If I won the EuroMillions, how much do you think it'd take to buyout the Americans and renovate Dens? Asking for a dream I'll be having tonight.

I'd be more inclined to buy Utd - and then shut the fuckers down overnight!

4 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Not unless they knock down a swathe of nearby houses for a car park, they won't. For all its flaws McDiarmid has a huge parking area and is a couple of minutes from two major roundabouts to all ends of the country. That's why its held so many events that have nothing to do with Saints. 

Dundee need to leave Dens if they want a similar income stream. It comes at a non-monetary cost, though. 

I was thinking about the parking issue when I mentioned concerts, then thought well it's the same parking facilities for a crowd of up to 11,000 football fans, so what difference?  

They've held concerts right in the city centre (was it Little Mix or something?) at Mary Slessor Square or whatever it's called, with practically no parking, so I'm not sure if that would be a big enough issue to prevent a concert at Dens?

Agree about McDiarmid's situation, thats the one advantage its got, the fact that it's easy to get to by road for people from out of town.  But on the flip side, for folk going to a concert by train, or staying at a city centre hotel for the night, it's not that great.

The council website shows all the listed buildings in the city and it appears that the Main Stand isn't one of them. It's a dying breed of Archibald Leitch stands and it will be a crying shame when it is flattened.

For all the ridicule Dens gets from opposition fans it's a popular away day. Whenever I am working down south the one thing that people mention when I say I'm a Dundee fan is the closeness of the two grounds in the city.

It's clear that the old ground is holding the club back however. Hopefully in the future when I'm down south people will be asking about our latest trophy win rather than just how close we play to our rivals[emoji6].
happy to stand corrected. there must be few A Leitch stands left? especially with both ourselves and everton planning on moving

2 hours ago, ah-dee said:
7 hours ago, kristov said:

It's clear that the old ground is holding the club back however. Hopefully in the future when I'm down south people will be asking about our latest trophy win rather than just how close we play to our rivalsemoji6.png.

happy to stand corrected. there must be few A Leitch stands left? especially with both ourselves and everton planning on moving

AJ Leitch-Smith > A Leitch

Edited by ReturnOfTheMack

9 hours ago, ah-dee said:
14 hours ago, kristov said:

It's clear that the old ground is holding the club back however. Hopefully in the future when I'm down south people will be asking about our latest trophy win rather than just how close we play to our rivalsemoji6.png.

Isn't the Main Stand at Ibrox a Leitch design (obviously excluding the top tier and newer roof).

The most important thing right is not the stadium but having a Premiership team in that stadium.

Certainly true as far as the new place is concerned.

Although , one of the things that keeps me going up despite the utter pish on show now is that deep down I just love going to Dens.

If you’re driving through Dundee and you have a choice of route between one that goes past Dens and a slightly shorter one that doesn’t which one will you choose?

Season ticket or not I’m not sure I could drag myself out to a crematorium waiting room to watch the shite that’s on show at the moment.

The most important thing right is not the stadium but having a Premiership team in that stadium.

Exactly. Imagine the kind of absolute minter if this stadium opened with us in the Chumpionship.

🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

I think, deep down, the board know this too. They seem to be treading a fine line between showing the manager loyalty and ensuring our top flight status- I hope they don't f**k it up.

Sub-posting here a bit but absolutely massive shout out to the boy on TDB who's suggesting that "Folk probably said that about the Guildford Four" in response to someone saying there's no smoke without fire when commenting about the number of players McCann's supposedly fallen out with.

Fucking.Hell.

That entire thread is some laugh tbh.

giphy.gif

Edited by capt_oats