All things Dundee FC

I could go on about the horse shit decisions made by the officials tonight but I won't.

It is glaringly obvious what we need, a playmaker and a centre half that commands his defence.

That is 2 games in a row where the forward balls have been really poor, it is like we have no idea going forward on the pitch.

We can't defend a set piece or carry out a set piece.

Gowser should have started tonight, he thrives on this type of game.

Forster is too much of a bomb scare at the back and can't head a ball if we win a corner. He is shite.

Edited by johnnydun

3 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Lads unless you sign some half decent players there is not a hope in hell you're coming back up. Yes you were unlucky in parts of the game and with some of the decisions but you were utterly woeful in others. Difficult times ahead.

I think most realistic Dees are aware that this is a two year thing in all honesty. Playoffs this season, build again next summer, then finish a good 10 points clear of your lot on the way to the Championship title 2020/21:)

Still of the belief that we are not far away from having a truly good team. Ness was piss poor tonight. He's got the ability to be our Kevin Thomson, but tonight (Well, yesterday now, he was the worst player on the park and should've been swapped for Finlay fairly early on IMO). And Forster - Well, we know Meekings ain't the CH he once was... but if he were? We'd only need a CM. I really like McGhee despite his size at CH.

We have till Monday to bring in Speroni, Dorrans and some brilliant CH I've not heard of will win us the league.

Still of the belief that we are not far away from having a truly good team. Ness was piss poor tonight. He's got the ability to be our Kevin Thomson, but tonight (Well, yesterday now, he was the worst player on the park and should've been swapped for Finlay fairly early on IMO). And Forster - Well, we know Meekings ain't the CH he once was... but if he were? We'd only need a CM. I really like McGhee despite his size at CH.
We have till Monday to bring in Speroni, Dorrans and some brilliant CH I've not heard of will win us the league.
You guys looked dangerous going forward, but with that defence, you'll need to score 3 or 4 to win a game. Not one of them looked comfortable, but Forster is already looking like the donkey signing of the season.

Just now, Jock Tamson said:
4 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

You guys looked dangerous going forward, but with that defence, you'll need to score 3 or 4 to win a game. Not one of them looked comfortable, but Forster is already looking like the donkey signing of the season.

I've said in other threads, Forster is the type of defender that'll keep Shankland quiet all night, but allow half the rest of the team in time and time again.

Hopefully McPake see's that. Forster has his uses but purely against target men or as in the 'battler' of a 3 CH system. The other problem is that Meekings and McGhee (classy as they can be at times) are on the wee and ball playing side - which naturally leads to bomb scare moments. And that's before mentioning Meeking's career ending style injuries.

In summary? You've got a point.

I've said in other threads, Forster is the type of defender that'll keep Shankland quiet all night, but allow half the rest of the team in time and time again.
Hopefully McPake see's that. Forster has his uses but purely against target men or as in the 'battler' of a 3 CH system. The other problem is that Meekings and McGhee (classy as they can be at times) are on the wee and ball playing side - which naturally leads to bomb scare moments. And that's before mentioning Meeking's career ending style injuries.
In summary? You've got a point.
I'm not sure Forster was the reason that Shankland was quiet tonight but I get your point.

Not going to dress anything up here....from what I've seen so far of some players (some longer than others) suggests that we will be lucky to get the play offs this year unless there's a quick, dramatic change in results and performances.

Yes, we may have had SOME decent results, but they've mostly been against lower league teams we are expected to beat. Having said that, we did draw with Cove and Peterhead. I'm willing to give the new team some time before major criticism is handed out, but we should be beating these teams. In the league so far we have drawn with Dunfermline and ICT. Not too bad but considering those teams are expected to be up there, but then again the style of play is just so pedestrian, especially in the midfield which is just too slow, sideways and backwards in their movement and passing.

Struggled to break down Ayr and looked nervy at the back in that game aswell as the ICT game. Fortunate to get back into the Pars game with the refereeing.

Tonight was a major reality check for McPake and the fans.

We need to be realistic in our expectations here.

We have a rookie manager, with a new coaching staff and lots of new players.

We will be lucky to get the play offs this year.

Hamilton isn't good enough. Forster just isn't good enough. Neither is Ness, (too slow and gives it away alot) and neither is Byrne. Forster loves giving away stupid fouls all the time. Did it against Aberdeen and did so again last night. Less said about Hamilton the better

Have some great options up top with the strikers and wide players, but there's no service to them at all. Defence lacks leadership, aggression and power. Midfield lacks pace, directness and creativity.

Rant over, cba tbh

Bottom line is there are no excuses losing 6 goals in a game, especially a derby.  Extremely poor performance.  Real lack of leadership on the pitch.

What gives me confidence is that I genuinely think McPake knows what the issues needing addressed are.  Would I have confidence in McCann or McIntyre spotting the issues and sorting them out if they were still here?  Absolutely not.  Only time will tell if McPake can find the players we clearly need.

Finally, he may have only played for us a handful of times but I thought we  missed the composure and intelligence Finlay Robertson brings to the team.  That’s more of a compliment to Robertson than a criticism of the team.

5 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Still of the belief that we are not far away from having a truly good team.

Ludo, you say this literally every year.

Just my opinion, but Hamilton, Forster/Meekings/McGhee, Marshall, McDaid, Todd are all second tier players.

Kerr could still go either way but hasnt played well for years now. Byrne is quality in the right system, but him and Ness are too opposite to play well together, while Johnson is someone you'll all hate by Christmas. I cant comment on the likes of Robertson as I've never seen him play.

To me, you're a goalkeeper, back four, two wingers and a playmaker away from a "truly good team", and just now you're looking at a fight for second at best. Genuinely cant believe Dundee have, once again, been lulled into a false belief about their team as they spent the majority of a game passing the ball about in midfield, creating nothing, then being caught on the counter.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Ludo, you say this literally every year.

Just my opinion, but Hamilton, Forster/Meekings/McGhee, Marshall, McDaid, Todd are all second tier players.

Kerr could still go either way but hasnt played well for years now. Byrne is quality in the right system, but him and Ness are too opposite to play well together, while Johnson is someone you'll all hate by Christmas. I cant comment on the likes of Robertson as I've never seen him play.

To me, you're a goalkeeper, back four, two wingers and a playmaker away from a "truly good team", and just now you're looking at a fight for second at best. Genuinely cant believe Dundee have, once again, been lulled into a false belief about their team as they spent the majority of a game passing the ball about in midfield, creating nothing, then being caught on the counter.

Well that's handy, what with us playing in the second tier and all that. 

2 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

Well that's handy, what with us playing in the second tier and all that. 

Aye but I meant average second tier players. None of those would look out of place at a perennial second tier side like QOS or Morton.