Debate Tonight

SuperCaleyGoBallistic

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cringe worthy stuff from GG. Even when he mentioned Ian Wood, he concealed the fact he's a life long Tory. So of course he's going to be in favour of the union, because it would not have a direct negative impact on him one way or the other. It's ironic that a borderline Marxist would say "fantasy economics" on multiple occasions when confronting the Yes campaign.

Cringe worthy stuff from GG. Even when he mentioned Ian Wood, he concealed the fact he's a life long Tory. So of course he's going to be in favour of the union, because it would not have a direct negative impact on him one way or the other. It's ironic that a borderline Marxist would say "fantasy economics" on multiple occasions when confronting the Yes campaign.

It also made me cringe when he emphasised 'Sir' Ian Wood. Now he's a supporter of the honours system?

Maybe he's looking for a place in the lords; lord George of Whiskas.

Harvie spoke the most sense unsurprisingly, but the Tory chick was most impressive from a pure debating point of view.

Sturgeon did well for the most part and better than I'd imagined she would, but let herself get caught into shouting over others far too often. Of all the panelists, her transitions into rhetoric were the most obvious, certainly at points where the more uncomfortable questions/rebuttals were put her/their way.

Strangely be-hatted #agentgalloway was all over the place and him coming across as talking down to people makes him a terrible choice up against an audience of horny, opinionated 16-18 year olds. The Hitler card was tragic.

My old ears could've done without the piercing whooping and squealing from the audiences.

All-in-all not particularly engaging stuff. 1-1 draw with the Tory making up for a verge-of-red-card George's laxness on the ball.

My sons pal came out with a good tweet about tonight's programme.

That mad fucker with the hat looks like he just walked in from the pub, battered the real MP and everyone's too scared to go near him.

Galloway is a creepy fuckwit who has backtracked on all the ideals that built his political career. f**k him.

:lol:

My old ears could've done without the piercing whooping and squealing from the audiences.

All-in-all not particularly engaging stuff. 1-1 draw with the Tory making up for a verge-of-red-card George's laxness on the ball.

To be fair these are "young adults", so in many ways it was surprisingly lacking in screaming.

As for the 1-1, I think you need to apply as a job for an OF referee. Sturgeon and Davidson sort of cancelled themselves out imo. While Harvie stood head and shoulders above the rest of them. Galloway was like a man who had just walked out of dementia ward.

I would give it a score of 3-1, but only because Galloway was scoring an own goal. If you pop onto social media you'll see that most people agree on that assumption.

To be fair these are "young adults", so in many ways it was surprisingly lacking in screaming.

As for the 1-1, I think you need to apply as a job for an OF referee. Sturgeon and Davidson sort of cancelled themselves out imo. While Harvie stood head and shoulders above the rest of them. Galloway was like a man who had just walked out of dementia ward.

I would give it a score of 3-1, but only because Galloway was scoring an own goal. If you pop onto social media you'll see that most people agree on that assumption.

I think you're doing the Tory a disservice. She was well prepared, had her lines and rebuttals in order, had her sources word-for-word, never got flustered and for all intents and purposes was fighting a 2v1, or a 3v1 if we're going to be particularly hard on Gorgeous George. That's an excellent debating performance and she certainly came out on top of a Sturgeon who wasn't bad but was outbossed and too often rattled.

The Old Firm referee comment is wildly misappropriated given I'm one of the most neutral people on here regarding this whole shebang - you might want to look at yourself and the other hardline Yes/No voters first. To expand on the football analogy, I had it as a 1-1 with most of the loose balls picked up by Harvildinho who created lots of space to showboat down the wings in part due to verge-of-red-card George Galloway having his boots on the wrong foot and being caught out of position most of the time, the slack being taken up by Yaya Tory who managed to harass a frustrated Nicola Van Sturgeon out of her attacking threat for much of the game and consistently launch direct counter-attacks through the middle.

Forgot to mention previously as it was early on in the debate and I'd forgotten about it until now, Harvie really let himself down with the wholly irrelevant rape stuff. A personal attack on another panel member who obviously wasn't going to be given time to respond properly by any moderator given the irrelevance and subject.

I think you're doing the Tory a disservice. She was well prepared, had her lines and rebuttals in order, had her sources word-for-word, never got flustered and for all intents and purposes was fighting a 2v1, or a 3v1 if we're going to be particularly hard on Gorgeous George. That's an excellent debating performance and she certainly came out on top of a Sturgeon who wasn't bad but was outbossed and too often rattled.

The Old Firm referee comment is wildly misappropriated given I'm one of the most neutral people on here regarding this whole shebang - you might want to look at yourself and the other hardline Yes/No voters first. To expand on the football analogy, I had it as a 1-1 with most of the loose balls picked up by Harvildinho who created lots of space to showboat down the wings in part due to verge-of-red-card George Galloway having his boots on the wrong foot and being caught out of position most of the time, the slack being taken up by Yaya Tory who managed to harass a frustrated Nicola Van Sturgeon out of her attacking threat for much of the game and consistently launch direct counter-attacks through the middle.

Forgot to mention previously as it was early on in the debate and I'd forgotten about it until now, Harvie really let himself down with the wholly irrelevant rape stuff. A personal attack on another panel member who obviously wasn't going to be given time to respond properly by any moderator given the irrelevance and subject.

She did lie, however, several times and from her very first comment. She clearly did not understand the contingency plans the banks had put forward yesterday and assumed the audience were as baffled as her.

I thought Sturgeon was very good but agree with the shouting comment to an extent. Agree on the other two as well.

Some entertainment all round.

up against an audience of horny, opinionated 16-18 year olds.

I may think you're a bit of a dick (and still do), but kudos for the above, made me roffle..

Also, I noticed on Twitter last night, one of the "young adults" referred to Davidson as "that Tory with the short back and sides"

Personally felt the tory got pulled too much into traditional finger pointing whataboutery too often. People want to hear what her vision of a future Scotland is in this particular campaign, not who proposed whatever policy in the last term of the Scottish Parliament and who is technically to blame for x, y and z.

My burd is at my most optimistic a soft no and I could visibly see her swithering last night, partly because of Galloway (WTF Labour) but also partly because of the style of response from Davidson. Say what you want from Sturgeon, but at least she is offering a vision of what the country could be like, rather than falling back on comfortable finger pointing politics.

On the subject of Labour, another fucking nightmare for them last night. The last TV debate before the referendum(?), and they couldn't find one non-liability to put forward. Surely to f**k it's over for those c***s no matter what the result is next Thursday,

She did lie, however, several times and from her very first comment. She clearly did not understand the contingency plans the banks had put forward yesterday and assumed the audience were as baffled as her.

Agree that the mischievous bank stuff was her weakest moment. She certainly came out with some bullshit, but didn't waver when pressed, had her points and counter-points well lined up, and looked better prepared for a rumble. On the other hand, Sturgeon's brand of bullshit when it came was rhetoric.

Anyway. Are there are more formal debates to look forward to before next Thursday?

I was starting to think Galloway's presence and rhetoric of "I'll be gone but you'll all still be here, it'll be your mess to deal with", "I'm old Labour" and "fought Hitler together" etc, was more aimed at the no doubt thousands of Grandparents watching because the grandweans were there. If you're going to lose the youngsters vote, keep the core vote on side and all that.

Archived