The Silent Have Spoken

DeeTillEhDeh

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's take a wee step back and look at what we've got.

No won. No doubts about that and many of their supporters will be happy about that.

Fair enough.

However.

At 55% the result may be conclusive but it's hardly an overwhelming statement.

They really only scraped through.

Just under half the country is feeling like shit this morning and will do so for some considerable time.

The Lex's of this world winding them up won't help. It'll provoke more anger than there already is.

The 2 million who voted No are not all happy clapper Brits.

By all accounts the vast majority of them voted No because they were afraid of the consequences of voting Yes.

So, that'll explain the lack of street parties and general happiness this morning.

Half the country thinks the other half of the country are effectively traitors and cowards.

Many of the other half are living with part relief, part shame, part guilt and part concern that they'll be outed.

This is not a happy country right now outside of a handful of genuinely passionate pro-Brits.

That is in itself a concern but the problems don't stop there.

England is livid. Absolutely livid that we'd even consider "rejecting them" and now want their pound of flesh.

Wales and NI are not exactly feeling warm towards Scotland either.

So for anyone to be feeling smug this morning is just blatantly bloody stupid.

Independence may be over for perhaps 25 years or whatever but the union is totally fucked.

Make no mistake about that.

It has only just been sellotaped together by fear and that's always a crappy unsatisfactory outcome.

The only thing which can prevent the total breakup of the union will be a federal UK. It beggars belief this wasn't sorted out years ago but that's where we are now heading.

So if you're a passionate Brit, then enjoy your moment because the union you thought you were voting to protect is irreparably damaged.

All IMO of course :)

I'd be absolutely delighted with a federal UK.

I might accept it as well depending on the terms.

It would require complete financial independence for all 4 nations with each getting a 25% say on all joint activities for me to agree to it with each nation allowed to opt out.

More of a co-operative of nations rather than a legal binding federation I suppose but I'd probably be happy to vote for that.

Can't imagine voting for anything less than that but feel free to fire away with how you'd envision it.

I think there might also be more desire for devolving of power in England as well. It's not just Scotland that feels remote from Westminster.

Folk need to get it out their heads that No won. Devo max won without even being on the ballot paper. Scotland has overwhelmingly voted for change and when the people get a little taste of power, a little bit won't be enough. The genie is out of the bottle and it won't ever be put back. Full independence will happen in my lifetime.

Folk need to get it out their heads that No won. Devo max won without even being on the ballot paper. Scotland has overwhelmingly voted for change and when the people get a little taste of power, a little bit won't be enough. The genie is out of the bottle and it won't ever be put back. Full independence will happen in my lifetime.

You short but sweet words slightly inspire me at this dark time.

Guest vierterstern

It´s a joke tbh and you will probably and hopefully never ever be regarded as a unique, pride and brave(-heart) nation again. I have been travelling to Scotland since I am 16 years old "wee" boy (even adapted parts of your language at times), being a huge Scotland fan and loved your country, culture, people and history to bits. No more. You don´t deserve to be called a Nation nor do you deserve to be called "proud" You are spine less and a disgrace to other independence movements around the world in the history of mankind.

What a sorry excuse of a country you are. Stop pretending to be anything else than northern english lapdogs.

Other nations would give all they got to have a referendum and the smug cowards blew it all away. Yesterday was the end of Scotland , the end of your incredible reputation world wide (I can speak for Germany, France, Holland etc.).

People will be appalled by your slavish subservience.

Oh an yes, please delete my account and throw me off your message board. I know the pattern of discussion on here and I know that at best my comment will be ignored. But deep down inside you know you´re not the same Scotland anymore. No respect for you anmyore. ...feeling better now after my rant.

Shame on you!

It´s a joke tbh and you will probably and hopefully never ever be regarded as a unique, pride and brave(-heart) nation again. I have been travelling to Scotland since I am 16 years old "wee" boy (even adapted parts of your language at times), being a huge Scotland fan and loved your country, culture, people and history to bits. No more. You don´t deserve to be called a Nation nor do you deserve to be called "proud" You are spine less and a disgrace to other independence movements around the world in the history of mankind.

What a sorry excuse of a country you are. Stop pretending to be anything else than northern english lapdogs.

Other nations would give all they got to have a referendum and the smug cowards blew it all away. Yesterday was the end of Scotland , the end of your incredible reputation world wide (I can speak for Germany, France, Holland etc.).

Oh an yes, please delete my account and throw me off your message board. I know the pattern of discussion on here and I know that at best my comment will be ignored. But deep down inside you know you´re not the same Scotland anymore. No respect for you anmyore. ...feeling better now after my rant.

Shame on you!

Hard to disagree with any of that.

We're a region of northern Britain now, not a country.

I finally agree with H_B.

Shame on you!

We've essentially voted to continue being a region of England, but with some Scottish sports teams to keep people happy. What can you do?

Shame on you!

alan-partridge-smug-owl-o.gif

Let's tell it like it is, DTID - The elderly, landowners, the English, Tories, the easily cowed, the selfish and Rangers fans have spoken.

Confi, I gave you a green dot for that for the passion you have shown throughout this campaign not because this is an accurate statement.

The fact is the YES campaign failed to convince tens of thousands of folk who fall into none of the above categories. We can talk about the reasons for this, and I'm sure we will, but there are many, many folk who would benefited from Independence who were not convinced. I am incredibly disappointed in people’s lack of self believe but I wouldn’t use terms like ‘cowed ‘.

However my main disappointment is with myself, rather than posting on a football forum I should have been out knocking on doors and trying to convince the unconvinced rather than preaching to the converted and arguing with the WUMs. If we are given this opportunity again in my lifetime I will, if able, not make that mistake again.

Confi, I gave you a green dot for that for the passion you have shown throughout this campaign not because this is an accurate statement.

The fact is the YES campaign failed to convince tens of thousands of folk who fall into none of the above categories. We can talk about the reasons for this, and I'm sure we will, but there are many, many folk who would benefited from Independence who were not convinced. I am incredibly disappointed in people’s lack of self believe but I wouldn’t use terms like ‘cowed ‘.

However my main disappointment is with myself, rather than posting on a football forum I should have been out knocking on doors and trying to convince the unconvinced rather than preaching to the converted and arguing with the WUMs. If we are given this opportunity again in my lifetime I will, if able, not make that mistake again.

I don't think it's so much a case of the Yes campaign failing to convince people. With the selfish vote, I don't think anything could have convinced them of the benefits of an iScotland.

They wanted to protect their interests at all costs and point blank refused to engage or investigate any facts.

And yes, that's democracy and yes it's entirely their prerogative to look after their own interests, but I'm incredibly saddened that a large swathe of our population don't care about the society we live in or Scotland's betterment.

Archived