Will you still go and watch future Scotland games ?

lemmy

Taking a child into an environment where they are exposed to bigoted songs = bad parenting

Bigot is an interesting word.

a person who strongly and unfairly dislikes other people, ideas, etc. : a bigoted person; especially : a person who hates or refuses to accept the members of a particular group (such as a racial or religious group)

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bigot

So someone who dislikes No votes is a bigot.

Someone who hates Hibs fans is a bigot.

Outside your little world of self congratulatory, a priori assumptions, things a touch more complex than you are capable of understanding.

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bigot is an interesting word.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bigot

So someone who dislikes No votes is a bigot.

Someone who hates Hibs fans is a bigot.

Outside your little world of self congratulatory, a priori assumptions, things a touch more complex than you are capable of understanding.

I used bigoted as a catch all term for a variety of songs sung. I should have probably just said 'killing Catholics'.

Tell me again what your Erin Go Bragh and Up the RA p*sh has anything to do with an Independent Scotland? :rolleyes:

Nothing whatsoever. Thanks for playing.

Oh and btw, the up the ra thing was so obviously not serious. Again, thanks for playing.

I used bigoted as a catch all term for a variety of songs sung. I should have probably just said 'killing Catholics'.

So you think songs about killing Catholics is where bigotry begins and ends? Songs celebrating violent nationalist organisations that killed children in Britain are not bigoted?

How about songs celebrating battles where lots of English were killed?

You seem to have confused the definition for "bigotry" with "something I dislike".

This is just utter nonsense, I take my kids to Ibrox often, why? because they enjoy going to a football game with their dad, are you seriously suggesting that I am a shite parent and should be locked up for this?

I really do despair at some of the bullshit that gets written on this forum.

What do you say to them when people sing songs about Irish politics? Are they old enough to understand and if not, how will you explain it when they ask what relevance it has? Maybe they'll consider the connotations of the words "we are the people" and ask you what it means, or maybe not as perhaps like many grown men who support Rangers you haven't yourself and neither will they when they grow up.

What a world we live in.

Nothing whatsoever. Thanks for playing.

Oh and btw, the up the ra thing was so obviously not serious. Again, thanks for playing.

Aye fair enough, you can hide behind your posts, a bit like Casual Bystander, but its easy to recognise 'who you are and what you are', lets just leave it at that.

You do know this song is about a Bridgeton street gang ran by a thug called Billy Fullerton in the 1930s? It's a mark of the ignorance of the Loyalists that they believe they are paying homage to William of Orange when in fact it's a street hoodlum. Imagine the Green Brigade singing a song about Tam McGraw!

Of course, the battlefield at The Boyne (on Republic of Ireland soil) is now a housing estate and those old walls in Derry City are well looked after by the council, what's left of them anyway. But let's not cloud over 300 years of hatred with contemporary fact.

Couldn't see the GB singing about McGraw, considering he was a bluenose. As for the B Boys most Rangers fans, especially the older ones, know full well the origins of the song.

We just voted to not be a nation, so how can we have a "national" team?

How can we sing O Flower of Scotland with a straight face?

We had to chance to prove that we were a nation and bottled it.

I will never consider myself British, but it seems the country I thought I belonged to doesn't exist.

Since the war England has grown bigger and bigger while Scotland has only grown slightly. The population of England has increased by 15 million people since the war, that's the equivalent of 3 Scotlands.

What sort of 'union' is it when you have one huge country that dominates 3 small countries (sorry regions)?

Still gutted...

Scotland is still a nation within a union of nations, or did you miss all that. As for Flower of Scotland it was only adopted as the Scottish National Anthem fairly recently through sport, the true Scottish National Anthem is and should always be Scotland The Brave.

Scotland is still a nation within a union of nations, or did you miss all that. As for Flower of Scotland it was only adopted as the Scottish National Anthem fairly recently through sport, the true Scottish National Anthem is and should always be Scotland The Brave.

Yeah singing that now would definitely not be cringeworthy in the slightest.

Of course not.

But carry on with your whatabouttery and deflection, the staple of bigots and their apologists. Why did you stop signing sectarian and bigoted songs, because you thought it was wrong or becuase you were told it wasn't allowed?

I know there are decent bears, I know a few, but no idea how decent people can associate with so many vile individuals just in the name of sport. Taking your children to rangers games should be a crime imo.

Taking them to watch St. Mirren should be a bigger crime. :P

Aye, unlike doe-a deer, now that's a song that gets the Scotland team inspired isn't it.

Nope, that's equally cringeworthy, but for completely different reasons.

It's one of those jokes that just gets taken too far.

Aye fair enough, you can hide behind your posts, a bit like Casual Bystander, but its easy to recognise 'who you are and what you are', lets just leave it at that.

Having the username Erin Go Bragh shows "who you are and what you are" aye? What's that then, a wee ***** I suppose? Cool tolerance bro.

It's clear from the hatred in your post that ma boi Fudge was right, your dad obviously failed you by taking to Ibrox from a young age. #hatebreedshate

One is 9 and the other 14, they have never mentioned Irish politics, god only knows why you think I would need to discuss such things with them, the oldest was very interested in the recent referendum though, I did discuss this with her, hope you approve.

I would've thought they'll need to know what all this stuff is about soon enough as Rangers fans. I wouldn't have thought a place where hatred based on religion and political allegiance is so accepted is a great place to spend time with your kids, but hey maybe they'll continue to somehow not notice it all their lives and everyone's laughing.

Aye well done mate, where in Ireland is Glasgow again?

Wait, what's this meant to mean? Have you just dropped the thin veil of pretending not to be a bigot now?

How was George Square mate? Are you that guy in the video shouting "nationalist scum" whilst wrapped in a flag? Probs teebs.

You really think this? you are a bit warped my friend.

As I said, not once have I felt the need to discuss such matters with them, unbelievably they tend to ask things about the players and the game, sorry if this does not fit in to your stereotypical view of things.

Tbh I don't have kids cos I'm too busy as a 24 year old being dece as f**k, but there's certain Hibs fixtures I can't help but think I'd never take any future kids to, and Hibs don't have 10% of the arsehole element Rangers do. Hopefully your kids grow up to be bigotry free and don't fall into the identity of the club, but it seems like a needless risk.

Archived