Smith commission (look what you could've won)

renton

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

https://www.smith-commission.scot/news/lord-smith-kelvins-letter-five-political-parties-26-september-2014/

So the parties have to submit their ideas on more powers by October 10th, prior to cross party talks.

Interestingly he's asked for input from civic Scotland, seems like National Collective were asked to take part, I'd hope Common Weal were as well.

https://www.smith-commission.scot/about/

And for the avoidance of doubt, we'll have a decent idea of how badly we are going to be shafted by the end of October.

So.... that's about 3 weeks from the parties submitting their proposals to the command paper, and another month before his Lordship decides how much devolution we should be gifted.

Hardly seems like a thorough process.

The scottish Greens have published their submission to the Smith commission:

http://www.scottishgreens.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/downloads/2014/10/SGP-submission-to-Smith-Commission.pdf

Some interesting highlights:

* all franchise and electoral law for Scotland, which would allow 16-18 year-olds to vote in the 2016 election, allow Scotland to use a fairer electoral system, and ensure that those convicted of serious criminal acts, as in the recent Walker case, can be removed from office

* wide economic powers including borrowing as well as taxation

* the bulk of the welfare system

* energy powers relating to industrial emissions standards, community renewables, public energy companies and investment in energy efficiency currently delivered through power companies

* transport policy, such as the barriers to publicly owned railways, and road speed limits

* responsibility for employment law and employment rights, including industrial relations, plus health and safety

* human rights and equalities law, which would allow more radical equal pay legislation to be pursued, and protect Scotland from the threatened scrapping of the Human Rights Act

Other than that, a couple of things I noted - firstly, they don't seem bothered so much about corporation tax, but are interested in having the ability to set new taxes as they see fit - to design a scottish tax system to meet local needs. They also want to give Scotland substantial borrowing powers.

Another interesting thing they want is formal representation for Scotland on the board of the MPC/BoE. as well as formal representation on UK delegations abroad.

They also want to be able to vary the voting system in Scotlnad and even to have the power to change the way MPs as well as MSPs are elected in Scotland.

We will get eff all or near as damn it harken to the words of Farage,s deputy" When the Scots BOTTLE it and they WILL" TIME FOR England to re-assert it,s control,Do all of you NO voting "PROUD to be Scottish proud to be British" not get it they are telling you to get back into your fcuking box and let the real leaders get on with shafting you,what a shower of pillocks.

The scottish Greens have published their submission to the Smith commission:

* wide economic powers including borrowing as well as taxation

They also want to give Scotland substantial borrowing powers.

Mmmm... I can see a problem here.

Who are they going to borrow from and who will stand guarantor for them?

For a chap who told someone to use google earlier, you ask an awful lot of questions.

Really not having a good day today are you?

Scotland already has borrowing powers from this coming financial year courtesy of the Scotland Act 2012.

Well; looks like Labour are simply submitting their old devo-nano proposals as their Smith commission input.

If we get much more than them I'll be shocked, we'll get just enough to weaken our parliament and the SNP.

The argument against it is that the people of Scotland were not voting on devo-max and a large number of Scots probably don't want anything too radical transferred north at all.

Then on the other side you've a huge % of Yes voters who couldn't give a shit what we get out of it either.

It's all a mess of Westministers own creation, had they offered nothing pre-indyref then I doubt the vote would've been swayed to Yes.

Banterous I understand the economics of GB being 1.4trillion in debt most of it under the leadership of Fat arse Broon/Darling,yet they were glorified by the NO campaign ffs??

No they were called upon by Dave & Gideon to do their best for the Union because they two c**** could not fight their way oot a wet paper bag then Gonnae gees a shot Broon and Eyebrows Darling duly rose to the challenge and adopted morphology then changed into a couple of Tories.

The argument against it is that the people of Scotland were not voting on devo-max and a large number of Scots probably don't want anything too radical transferred north at all.

Then on the other side you've a huge % of Yes voters who couldn't give a shit what we get out of it either.

It's all a mess of Westministers own creation, had they offered nothing pre-indyref then I doubt the vote would've been swayed to Yes.

I reckon at least 200000( the amount of swing needed for yes to win) would have been swayed by the vow. Devo Max is what the majority of Scottish people want hence why Westminster kidded on that's what was on offer.

So pretty much "Devo Max"

Can't see an argument against this

The SNP are just there to make up the numbers and be the subject of ridicule. They are there after they held their own referendum, with their own question, at their own appointed time, with their own franchise and on their own constitutional preference and they lost heavily.

They will be there to make the tea.

The SNP are just there to make up the numbers and be the subject of ridicule. They are there after they held their own referendum, with their own question, at their own appointed time, with their own franchise and on their own constitutional preference and they lost heavily.

They will be there to make the tea.

I counted 9 mistakes in the above post. Is this a new P&B record?

Archived