General Election 2015

Ludo*1

Was having a debate with a tory on why I was voting SNP but I kinda feel I lost honestly. He mention the rise of tax allowance, tax breaks for oil, falling unemployment and cut of unnecessary benefits. I responded with the fact the NHS is being privatized, the rich getting richer and the trident ridiculous cost.

Anyone willing to help me by adding more facts to my arsenal for the travel home?

• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was having a debate with a tory on why I was voting SNP but I kinda feel I lost honestly. He mention the rise of tax allowance, tax breaks for oil, falling unemployment and cut of unnecessary benefits. I responded with the fact the NHS is being privatized, the rich getting richer and the trident ridiculous cost.

Anyone willing to help me by adding more facts to my arsenal for the travel home?

Regarding the tax allowance rising (and the boy's a tory, aye,) i'd remind him that was actually pushed by the Libbys in the coalition. Also remind him that although clearly a good thing, Cameron raised VAT to 20% in his 2011 "emergency budget", which is where it remains. We've shelling out an extra 2.5pence in every £ on almost everything we buy for four years now.

On the oil thing again a bit of smoke and mirrors. I'd argue he's offering breaks now AFTER raising taxes on the North Sea at the beginning of this parliament.

Through a curveball in the Longannet thing. Ask him if he thinks that after the whole threat of the "lights going out" a couple of years ago he considers a Scottish plant paying up to £40 million to put its energy on the grid compared to a £4 million subsidy for one in Kent is fair. And now it seems to be closing.

2z8na06.jpg

tumblr_ls4n1bG1Ev1qaid3h.giftumblr_ls4n1bG1Ev1qaid3h.giftumblr_ls4n1bG1Ev1qaid3h.gif

I'm probably in the minority here, but I think Nicola Sturgeon taking over has been fantastic for the SNP. Whilst I disagree with her politics, I like her and think she comes across well. I also think she is far less divisive than Salmond. Salmond was someone who was loved by his supporters but despised by the others, Sturgeon manages to be liked even by those who don't support her. She may not be hugely charismatic in the same way, but she's less arrogant and I think comes across as a good statesman. Although she occasionally falls into the SNP trap of saying 'Scotland' when she is referring to the Scottish government, I feel she represents the whole country as FM, not just those who voted SNP.

I couldn't imagine Nicola unfurling a Scotland flag behind Cameron at Wimbledon for example, and I think that is to her credit.

Daily Mash take on Salmond's Westminster plans: http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/politics/politics-headlines/salmond-says-snp-will-win-300-seats-in-england-2015032596668

I'm probably in the minority here, but I think Nicola Sturgeon taking over has been fantastic for the SNP. Whilst I disagree with her politics, I like her and think she comes across well. I also think she is far less divisive than Salmond. Salmond was someone who was loved by his supporters but despised by the others, Sturgeon manages to be liked even by those who don't support her. She may not be hugely charismatic in the same way, but she's less arrogant and I think comes across as a good statesman. Although she occasionally falls into the SNP trap of saying 'Scotland' when she is referring to the Scottish government, I feel she represents the whole country as FM, not just those who voted SNP.

I couldn't imagine Nicola unfurling a Scotland flag behind Cameron at Wimbledon for example, and I think that is to her credit.

Daily Mash take on Salmond's Westminster plans: http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/politics/politics-headlines/salmond-says-snp-will-win-300-seats-in-england-2015032596668

I actually completely agree with you here. At the same time, it will still be nice to have Big Eck throwing a spanner in the works down at Westminster again.

I don't think you're in the minority at all. I for one 100% agree and have said as much since the day Salmond resigned and the Unionist goons were on here giddily predicting how much of a failure Sturgeon would be.

Salmond will be looked back on a hugely significant figure in Scottish and British politics. Only he could've taken the SNP and cause for Scottish Independence to where it is now. Sturgeon is the right person to take it from here though.

Salmond will act in a near maverick way at Westminster. It will be measured not to cause embarrassment or harm to Sturgeon as he is clever enough not to do that.

He will more than ruffle a few feathers and is already doing so much to the harm to Labour. I personally think he's playing a blinder.

Sturgeon has taken over at the right time, and I say that as a Salmond fan. She is hovering up the women's vote that Salmond had difficulty attracting.

Appearances on Lorraine, Women's Hour and Good Morning Britain have been fantastic.

The old partnership with Salmond is still there albeit in a different way as to what it was.

I'm a massive Salmond fanboy and I agree, only he could have taken the SNP to the position they're in at the moment. But I think Sturgeon will be the better leader for the years ahead. Much less divisive and I think she's even surprised a lot of SNP supporters by how well she's done since taking over.

I'm a massive Salmond fanboy and I agree, only he could have taken the SNP to the position they're in at the moment. But I think Sturgeon will be the better leader for the years ahead. Much less divisive and I think she's even surprised a lot of SNP supporters by how well she's done since taking over.

Agree with this. She's really improved over the course of the last year or so. I remember an STV debate, probably about a year ago, between Sturgeon and Lamont where they basically just screamed at each other for 90 minutes. I can't imagine Sturgeon getting drawn into that kind of session now.

The good cop, bad cop routine absolutely isn't an accident imo.

Being hyped up in the media works in politics for a number of reasons. It provides a huge platform to sell your party, it reinforces the message that everyone else is failing and it wins you the votes of the glory hunting bandwagon jumpers who vote to be right. Salmond clearly understands this, as he actually complained about it happening to UKIP in the Euro elections.

Sturgeon seems to be doing a great job of using the exposure to gain admirers and sell an SNP that she's taken in a slightly different direction from Salmond. If Samond's final boss level trolling helps sustain that exposure, nae harm done 8)

SNP and Tories still helping each other out. Cameron has given up on Scotland it seems, happy to let the SNP tackle Labour in Scotland (and giving the SNP ammunition by fostering animosity towards Scotland/the SNP which they know the SNP will love) whilst acting as though the SNP are big bad scary wolves down here in England that will put Ed into number 10.

Archived