General Election 2015

Ludo*1

Jeesus.... Is your memory so far gone that you can't remember Tony Blair and "New Labour" virtually cleaning up in what was once regarded as Tory heartland?

Labour and Conservative are now virtually interchangeable.

It has nothing to do with working class areas of England and Wales, or anywhere else. Are you stuck in some kind of time warp?

Do you actually think before you post?

You may think there is little difference between the two, I may agree with you to a degree. However there are plenty of MPs, party activists, funders and voters on both sides who would vehemently disagree. It would be suicide for both parties, particularly Labour.

• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you actually think before you post? You may think there is little difference between the two, I may agree with you to a degree. However there are plenty of MPs, party activists, funders and voters on both sides who would vehemently disagree. It would be suicide for both parties, particularly Labour.

I think it's the case that Labour hate the Tories so much that they have become like them in order to gain power.

SNP and Tories still helping each other out. Cameron has given up on Scotland it seems, happy to let the SNP tackle Labour in Scotland (and giving the SNP ammunition by fostering animosity towards Scotland/the SNP which they know the SNP will love) whilst acting as though the SNP are big bad scary wolves down here in England that will put Ed into number 10.

Spot on

I don't think we in Scotland are in a position to be mocking anyone else's constitutional arrangements or the success or otherwise of their state/let.

We just voted to be a region of England, we are literally the lowest of the low now. Everybody else can laugh at us we can't really laugh at anyone.

Going back to what people were saying comparing Salmond to Sturgeon. Salmond is easily the better politician and will go down as the best politician I have ever seen in my lifetime but the time is right for Sturgeon, she's easily more likeable (Which always helps) and is probably the current second best in Britain right now. It's been a seem less shift between her and Salmond. Both have had major parts to play.

I had similar - albeit less hysterically worded - feelings re Scotland for about five minutes. It's daft though - Scotland didn't get its Independence last year but it will. Being all miserable about it is so self defeating, especially when there's plenty to be optimistic about. Eyes forward Fuzzy!

Hardcore Northern Irish unionists and Scottish Rangers types are a whole different thing. Imagine proudly singing that German bombers song and changing the words from "RAF of England" to "Britain" so you can appropriate it to yourself :lol: :lol: :lol: Miserable trash.

I don't think we in Scotland are in a position to be mocking anyone else's constitutional arrangements or the success or otherwise of their state/let.

We just voted to be a region of England, we are literally the lowest of the low now. Everybody else can laugh at us we can't really laugh at anyone.

No-one can laugh at Yes City. Rest of Scotland is full of shitebags admittedly.

I had similar - albeit less hysterically worded - feelings re Scotland for about five minutes. It's daft though - Scotland didn't get its Independence last year but it will. Being all miserable about it is so self defeating, especially when there's plenty to be optimistic about. Eyes forward Fuzzy!

Hardcore Northern Irish unionists and Scottish Rangers types are a whole different thing. Imagine proudly singing that German bombers song and changing the words from "RAF of England" to "Britain" so you can appropriate it to yourself :lol: :lol: :lol: Miserable trash.

Like it or not we're no better than them now. Our country is full of people like that and we just turned down self-determination. We should be utterly ashamed of ourselves, and I don't share your optimism sadly.

We saw how much it means to the UK to keep us and the lengths they will go to, I definitely don't think it's a given we will be independent eventually. Some days I think it will happen other days I think never. I don't know what will happen and don't think anybody does.

No-one can laugh at Yes City. Rest of Scotland is full of shitebags admittedly.

This is true, Glasgow and even more so Dundee can hold their heads high, everywhere else is shitebag central.

Like it or not we're no better than them now. Our country is full of people like that and we just turned down self-determination. We should be utterly ashamed of ourselves, and I don't share your optimism sadly.

We saw how much it means to the UK to keep us and the lengths they will go to, I definitely don't think it's a given we will be independent eventually. Some days I think it will happen other days I think never. I don't know what will happen and don't think anybody does.

This is true, Glasgow and even more so Dundee can hold their heads high, everywhere else is shitebag central.

What's the plan? Wallow in misery for the rest of your life because 55% of the country didn't vote the same way as us?

Get over it already. It was a shanner at the time but what's emerged is a demonstrably more politically engaged and energised country. The bottom of the ethical barrel was scraped to try and stop devolution but it happened eventually anyway.

The same thing will happen here. It won't be too long until threatening Sunday Post reading grannies won't be an effective campaigning strategy. Your bitterness helps nobody, not least yourself.

I hate that attitude tbh. That was the most devastated I've ever been in my life. If I am still upset about it six months later I think I'm entitled and I don't think its your place to be telling me how I should feel.

If I'm still like that in twenty years I think you'd have a point, but in political terms the referendum was literally yesterday so its still very raw for an awful lot of people.

You can talk all you want about more energised and engaged people but in reality most people have forgot about it, got back into their wee box and got on with their lives. They only get their news from the MSM and continue to believe the shite they are fed.

The people you are talking about are yes voters, and they were in the minority anyway. The only reason they will now have a significant impact is their vote isn't divided between three parties and no voters are.

I also think it's a huge leap to make to say this happened with devolution so will happen here too. Scottish independence is literally the very worst nightmare of the British establishment. There's nothing they fear more. They will pull out all the stops and already be working feverishly in the background to make sure it never happens.

We face a hell of a fight and they've got all the big guns, control all the levers of power and all the sources of information. A narrative is already being built, I've already had no voting colleagues harangue me about 'look at the oil price, look at the latest GERS figures', they really do believe we had a lucky escape.

Though I appreciate your sentiment and would put you down as one of the good guys, I don't completely agree with all you say.

I hate that attitude tbh. That was the most devastated I've ever been in my life. If I am still upset about it six months later I think I'm entitled and I don't think its your place to be telling me how I should feel.

If I'm still like that in twenty years I think you'd have a point, but in political terms the referendum was literally yesterday so its still very raw for an awful lot of people.

You can talk all you want about more energised and engaged people but in reality most people have forgot about it, got back into their wee box and got on with their lives. They only get their news from the MSM and continue to believe the shite they are fed.

The people you are talking about are yes voters, and they were in the minority anyway. The only reason they will now have a significant impact is their vote isn't divided between three parties and no voters are.

I also think it's a huge leap to make to say this happened with devolution so will happen here too. Scottish independence is literally the very worst nightmare of the British establishment. There's nothing they fear more. They will pull out all the stops and already be working feverishly in the background to make sure it never happens.

We face a hell of a fight and they've got all the big guns, control all the levers of power and all the sources of information. A narrative is already being built, I've already had no voting colleagues harangue me about 'look at the oil price, look at the latest GERS figures', they really do believe we had a lucky escape.

Though I appreciate your sentiment and would put you down as one of the good guys, I don't completely agree with all you say.

45% split one way is much larger than 55% split 3. The Tory vote in Scotland won't back Labour, same the other way.

I get why you're upset, but I don't think you'll achieve anything by letting it affect you so much. I know it's probably still quite raw, but think of the end game. Help the SNP return a huge raft of MPs in May and we'll either see them form some kind of agreement with Labour and will have real sway in the direction of the UK as a whole or a Tory led Government which we didn't vote for, which will inevitably further our case for Independence. It's the classic win-win.

Yes it is, but that is why the SNP is going to have an impact, nothing to do with a more energised and engaged electorate. Its simple arithmetic.

I do see this election as a win-win, either we get more concessions out of Labour government or a Tory one gets in and EVEL happens, which also helps our cause.

But I don't think anyone should kid themselves on that independence is a matter of time now. We had a Tory government that got less than 2% of the seats in Scotland in the midst of a crippling austerity programme for the referendum and still voted no.

The mindset that needs to be overcome is very deeply entrenched in many people. I'm sure you all saw it yourselves, complete refusal to even consider the issues or engage with debate at all.

This election is going to be the best UK one ever for us, and it will be great to take revenge on Labour for betraying Scotland. But its really like getting a hand-job from Sonya off Eastenders when you were just about to shag Jessica Alba, a very, very small consolation.

Archived