General Election 2015

Ludo*1

Why did they want rid of Bercow anyway?

I think he's always been a very moderate Conservative and there were rumours about him defecting to Labour in the past, so never been all that popular with the Tory party. Think he's been quite good at championing backbenchers during his time as Speaker, which may have saved him.

Probably not all that well thought out by the government to lose a high profile vote on the very last day of parliament.

• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why did they want rid of Bercow anyway?

Been a bit of a thorn in the side of the government. I think there is bitterness over his shift towards the left prior to his election as speaker and there seems to be an element of frustration that he got the position through Labour votes rather than Tory ones.

All pretty petty, I think he's a good speaker. Watching some of the right- wing bloggers and commentators cry about the result on twitter is funny.

A biased but informative assessment of Bercow from the New Statesman: http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2015/03/mps-plot-unseat-speaker-john-bercow-has-transformed-parliament-better

One thing to bare in mind is how unworkable the Smith commission is in reality. I doubt much of it will find its way to the statute books - particularly the big ticket income tax item.

So that is going to cause huge ructions and either a more useful and far reaching devolution act will be found, which will only accelerate the path to indy via slowly picking off each institution in turn, or the whole thing will collapse leaving Scots very aware of what a promise from WE is worth, further entrenching indy as a viable outcome.

This is true, but I think what's more important is perception. And managing the message is important for that. I don't think we will get a wider reaching programme of devolution, or barely if anything, they will just say whatever we get is that in order to deflate the nationalist balloon.

I think you are doing what a lot of yes voters do and overestimating the level of political engagement and knowledge of your average person. Fine we will see it for the shite it will be, but that doesn't matter. If most people believe them when they say its the greatest thing since sliced bread that's enough. And they will.

We will get shite, they will say its caviar, if enough people believe its caviar caviar it is.

What a stupid thing for the Tories to do on the last day of Parliament. Most commentators agree that Cameron had the upper hand at yesterday's PMQs, so why try and force this through? It's incredibly underhanded and it didn't even get through FFS :lol: Mental behaviour.

What a stupid thing for the Tories to do on the last day of Parliament. Most commentators agree that Cameron had the upper hand at yesterday's PMQs, so why try and force this through? It's incredibly underhanded and it didn't even get through FFS :lol: Mental behaviour.

Some of the pro-Tory journalists on twitter are saying things like 'nobody outside the Westminster bubble will notice this anyway.' Even if that is true (and I can't imagine it will be) they were the ones, only yesterday, going on about how momentum is everything in the run up to such a tight election. They managed to gain momentum, and have already relinquished it.

Apparent David Cameron was overheard saying 'I wouldn't miss this for the world' prior to the division.

Twat.

Also not really sure why the Lib Dems were apparently backing this. Don't see what they had to gain.

Yes, the fact there was a coalition during WWII is clearly a precedent for a coalition in 2015. Entirely similar situations, obviously.

Purely looking at their respective policies it's easy to see grounds for compromise - it wouldn't take many - and a Grand Coalition being formed, but that ignores the political cost to both of them in the aftermath. While you'd have floating voters happy with it, the core support of both parties would vanish. It'd be suicidal. I hope they're both stupid enough to do it, but I doubt either of them are.

They fought together hand in glove during the referendum campaign - especially towards the end of that campaign! It's surely not beyond the bounds of possibility that they will combine once again to fight this latest threat to civilisation as they have come to know it . The very thought of this new common enemy - aka, the SNP, having any say in the working of a Westminster government of any colour is just unthinkable - even by the electorate south of the border.

The thought of the core support of both parties being damaged in the event of a Con/Lab coalition is not something that will worry them unduly - mainly for reasons of pure selfishness.

They fought together hand in glove during the referendum campaign - especially towards the end of that campaign! It's surely not beyond the bounds of possibility that they will combine once again to fight this latest threat to civilisation as they have come to know it . The very thought of this new common enemy - aka, the SNP, having any say in the working of a Westminster government of any colour is just unthinkable - even by the electorate south of the border.

The thought of the core support of both parties being damaged in the event of a Con/Lab coalition is not something that will worry them unduly - mainly for reasons of pure selfishness.

That would effectively turn it into a Scotland vs Rest of UK battle. A grand coalition is the least likely thing to happen IMO, even more so than a SNP-Tory one.

No such meetings take place inside the schools. Pupils were targeted at lunchtime etc during the referendum but off school premises. EK's schools are 70%+ SNP

Archived