General Election 2015

Ludo*1

Men are more likely to control businesses than women. They are more qualified to be MP's then?

I try pretty hard to avoid resorting to insults tbh. But this post really shows you up as the arsehole that you are.

Of course there are morons and incompetents who are old and experienced but if anyone thinks that's an argument against life experience then I worry about your ability to argue coherently.

And comparing young people with bme or gay people or women is also pretty weak. Young people get older and (usually) wiser. The same does not apply to any of the above (women do not become men etc.).

• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1320Lichtie, on 05 May 2015 - 22:12, said:

So what areas does Ad Lib need experience in to be a better candidate than he is just now?

I'd be interested to see what the answer to this particular question is.

As a married homeowner in his thirties, I'm already past my best for making real change in the world. There are plenty of places in society that are run in their entirety by people not out of their twenties. What's more, Mhairi Black is handily winning one of the toughest Labour seats in the entire country, held by one of Labour's most experience politicians (who is more than twice her age), and she is doing so in a large part because she's working her absolute arse off for it.

The oaksofts of this world (and there are a great many bitter auld b*****ds that never tried out there) have always derided the young for their lack of experience, their lack of wisdom, their lack of deference to their betters. Such people should be treated with contempt.

aah ffs stupid parafin powered ancient phone! the point I was trying to make was She.'s about to (hopefully) trounce one of SLAB's senior members so I guess the constituents don't give one iota of a f**k about her age or experience

As a married homeowner in his thirties, I'm already past my best for making real change in the world. There are plenty of places in society that are run in their entirety by people not out of their twenties. What's more, Mhairi Black is handily winning one of the toughest Labour seats in the entire country, held by one of Labour's most experience politicians (who is more than twice her age), and she is doing so in a large part because she's working her absolute arse off for it.

The oaksofts of this world (and there are a great many bitter auld b*****ds that never tried out there) have always derided the young for their lack of experience, their lack of wisdom, their lack of deference to their betters. Such people should be treated with contempt.

I agree with you but if we're going to respect the rights and recognise the abilities of young people maybe we should stop assuming all old people are bitter and b*****ds. Some of us are neither.

She joined the SNP because she believed in the cause, she's principled and passionate. Career politician to me is someone that will go where the tide is in order to get a seat. I really don't know when I've ever asked for someone with life experience to stand for parliament. I know plenty people with plenty life experience that I wouldn't trust to keep an eye on my cheese on toast for me, never mind run the country.

I thought a career politician was someone who went straight from university into political life, then on to be a councillor, then member of parliament. That sort of thing.

I've already posted that I've been v impressed with mhairi black but the main reason she's on course to win that seat has nothing to do with her personal input (no matter how commited or hard working she is).

She's one of dozens who are going to be swept into power on a tidal wave of snp support. I'm not saying that to dismiss her (not in the slightest) - but this landslide is not happening because their individual candidates are better or more commited.

The old adage about a monkey in a red rosette could probably be used right now. This added piece of irony arguably makes Thursday's result even sweeter.

Life experience is obviously a factor for some people, but not all. I think the issue with oaksoft is that he believes that the latter is actually the case when it's not, and is being blatantly bigoted against young people as a result.

I would agree, but when you are using it with negative connotations then that's an unfair way to describe it. Plenty of people have undertaken that route in to politics, are passionate about it and don't just see it as a job. I think the idea of changing your values to enhance your career is an important part of careerism in politics.

Personally, I would like politicians to have lived in the town/area they are representing for at least 5-10 years, and I would like them to have had a job outside of politics. I'd also like to see more scientists and engineers in parliament, but that's just my personal bias.

Scary Bear, on 05 May 2015 - 22:59, said:

Personally, I would like politicians to have lived in the town/area they are representing for at least 5-10 years, and I would like them to have had a job outside of politics. I'd also like to see more scientists and engineers in parliament, but that's just my personal bias.

Are you dismissive of someone because of their youth to the point where you blatantly say they don't deserve to be there?

Are you dismissive of someone because of their youth to the point where you blatantly say they don't deserve to be there?

No. I've already said on another of the threads on this forum that a parliament should be made up of a good mix of both sexes and of people of all ages.

Actually, although I'm writing this, I think I have been dismissive of a younger candidate in the past. There was a Tory candidate who was about 18 and at St Andrews Uni. Apart from him standing for the Tories, there was just something about voting for an 18 year old that I wasn't okay with.

I'm not sure what I'd do if the SNP had a 20 year old candidate here.

Definitely an SNP voter

Definitely

I said I was an SNP voter, dummy.

Don't criticise or say anything negative, or you're not 'one of us'. Is that they mindset you're going for? If it is then you're a fucking idiot.

The problem with the SNP is that they've attracted the 'lads' who drink beer, go to football, shout at women in the street, listen to Oasis and wear retro Adidas. This crowd now think they're all cultured because they've added politics to their repertoire.

I said I was an SNP voter, dummy.

Don't criticise or say anything negative, or you're not 'one of us'. Is that they mindset you're going for? If it is then you're a fucking idiot.

The problem with the SNP is that they've attracted the 'lads' who drink beer, go to football, shout at women in the street, listen to Oasis and wear retro Adidas. This crowd now think they're all cultured because they've added politics to their repertoire.

I'll be honest. You don't come across as an SNP supporter. You're characterisation is pretty far off too and certainly not representative of the folk on here who claim to be SNP members/voters.

The problem with the SNP is that they've attracted the 'lads' who... go to football

I hate to tell you this, but.... ach, never mind.

The SNP have attracted ex-Labour voters. This is already known, and it's not a problem.

Oh yes, and I missed this one:

If Oaksoft's views on young people were his views on women or blacks the man would be vilified.

They are his views on women and blacks. (For anyone else not up-to-key of precisely which PnBers are keen Aryans on their days off, have a look at the Sol Campbell thread.)

What a load of shite. Proof please

Archived