General Election 2015

Ludo*1

Erm they did. You might notice I wasn't asking a question. And was told that by a History lecturer at university.

Our resident non-nationalist has a new avatar I notice.

William Kenefick tell you that?

• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure about tanks in George Square don't know anything about that. But they did have troops on the border from Northumberland ready to come in and quell the Red Clydesiders in 1916, as they didn't believe Scottish troops would fire on Scottish people in defence of the crown.

City of Glasgow Police had been ordered to stand down, as did Scottish military personal in case they had sympathies for the protesters and decided to join them.

William Kenefick tell you that?

Never heard of him

City of Glasgow Police had been ordered to stand down, as did Scottish military personal in case they had sympathies for the protesters and decided to join them.

This chimes with what I heard

Yeah I know just hadn't heard of tanks in George Square in 1919.

Hardly a surprise considering it's not something they'd teach in history class up here.

Hardly a surprise considering it's not something they'd teach in history class up here.

No, I wouldn't imagine it is.

Neither is how Scotland joined the UK in the first place. A twenty year campaign of economic warfare by the UK against Scotland to bring us to the negotiating table, then those who voted bribed while troops were stationed on the border, off the coast and in N Ireland ready to enforce union if the vote went the wrong way.

Rioting in the streets when it was announced. Two previous failed attempts at union. Don't remember hearing any of that at school.

No, I wouldn't imagine it is.

Neither is how Scotland joined the UK in the first place. A twenty year campaign of economic warfare by the UK against Scotland to bring us to the negotiating table, then those who voted bribed while troops were stationed on the border, off the coast and in N Ireland ready to enforce union if the vote went the wrong way.

Rioting in the streets when it was announced. Two previous failed attempts at union. Don't remember hearing any of that at school.

Aye, it's ridiculous how little history is taught about Scotland/UK outside of WW2

May I suggest that the normal repository for this pile of dross is The Big Thread?

I'm not sure about tanks in George Square don't know anything about that. But they did have troops on the border from Northumberland ready to come in and quell the Red Clydesiders in 1916, as they didn't believe Scottish troops would fire on Scottish people in defence of the crown.

They were trying to get the rangers players out the shipyards.

Archived