Stupid Names For Kids

Romeo

My daughter has a Japanese first name and Western middle name that we'll swap round if there's any issues for her growing up. Can't see it though considering some of the names on this thread!

2 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

This has probably been mentioned in this thread already but the Stenhousemuir manager Brown Ferguson.  Who on Earth would call their child Brown?!

Didn't Clyde legend, Tommy Ring name his son Brown?

I can mind one time I was walking my dog and some wee scheme goblin was leaning out her window bellowing for her kids to come in.  When I heard the name I just lost it.  Not a wee chuckle to myself, full on howls of uncontrollable laughter.

CHARDONNAY!  Mon get yer chicken nuggets.

6 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

This has probably been mentioned in this thread already but the Stenhousemuir manager Brown Ferguson.  Who on Earth would call their child Brown?!

Mr & Mrs Ferguson?

It used to be (fairly) common for the mother's maiden named to be shoehorned into one of the sons' names, usually the eldest, and usually, but not always, as a middle name. Maybe it still is. Of course, this would very much depend on what your mother's maiden name was - Sutherland, fine; McGinty*, maybe not so much.

* Although as a middle name it's probably allright, not as a first name.

Edited by Jacksgranda

14 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

I remember reading an article on him in one of the papers a few years ago and it is a family tradition to name the 1st born son in the family Brown.  There was also Brown McMaster the ex Partick Thistle chairman.

Having seen some of the names that scheme goblins seem to give their brats these days Brown dosn't seen that bad.

17 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

My grandfather claims, when he was in the army, that there was  a guy called Sergeant Major or Major Sergeant or something like that (can't quite remember!).  And before anyone says, no that wasn't the guy's position - it was his real name!

It's possible your grandfather was one of the soldiers in 'Catch 22'. That featured a character called Major Major, who before finishing his basic training, was promoted to Major. Major Major Major.

9 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

It used to be (fairly) common for the mother's maiden named to be shoehorned into one of the sons' names, usually the eldest, and usually, but not always, as a middle name.

<Raises hand> That would be my fate in life. I'm fine with it now but as a child, it was a fucking torment. When we sat our annual exams at primary school, we had to write our names out in full. For weeks afterwards, the headmaster would take a malicious delight in calling my middle name out across the playground, the dining hall, the classroom. Fortunately, like most children, my classmates were very kind and didn't tease me about it at all.

4 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

<Raises hand> That would be my fate in life. I'm fine with it now but as a child, it was a fucking torment. When we sat our annual exams at primary school, we had to write our names out in full. For weeks afterwards, the headmaster would take a malicious delight in calling my middle name out across the playground, the dining hall, the classroom. Fortunately, like most children, my classmates were very kind and didn't tease me about it at all.

Come on then.....

3 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

It's possible your grandfather was one of the soldiers in 'Catch 22'. That featured a character called Major Major, who before finishing his basic training, was promoted to Major. Major Major Major.

My Dad inherited his Mum's surname Dallas. He got really bored of people whistling the signature tune of the TV show when introduced.

1 hour ago, Shotgun said:

My memory is that, somehow, he was Major Major Major Major (possibly distinguishing him from Major Major Major Minor.) But don't worry about it, Tracy.