One for the seething Britnats

Confidemus

No, no, I get that, even if I'd dispute some of it.

It's your insitence that every Yes voter is a nationalist regardless whilst completely eschewing such warped logic towards No voters and the undoubtedly nationalistic British state that has me truly baffled?

It's surely possible for people to have voted yes without also being fervent nationalists.

On the other hand, it's probably not possible to - as an abstract example - wander around the internet posting lots of comments about how you voted yes and how people who voted no are thick, and how awesome a Scottish nation would be, constantly repeating the party-approved talking points of the SNP ad infinitum, without also being a bit nationalistic.

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have open borders for Europeans and EU immigrants are the biggest contributors to our economy out of all the immigrants that make it here.

Immigrants are a NET contributor to the economy. WE NEED THEM.

Not for long if Cameron and UKIP get their way.

Scotland will have an immigration policy that is the exact opposite of what we require.

Thanks for that, No voters.

Scotland will have an immigration policy that is the exact opposite of what we require.

Actually I'd like a referendum on open borders immigration. The electorate were never asked and Cameron loves the EU and the associated benefits of immigration to the uber rich so your point about him being in cahoots with UKIP is utter BS.

It's surely possible for people to have voted yes without also being fervent nationalists.

On the other hand, it's probably not possible to - as an abstract example - wander around the internet posting lots of comments about how you voted yes and how people who voted no are thick, and how awesome a Scottish nation would be, constantly repeating the party-approved talking points of the SNP ad infinitum, without also being a bit nationalistic.

Sorry either I've got you wrong or you're backtracking slightly, but I took from your earlier posts on this thread that you regarded all Yes voters as nationalists irrespective?

Whilst making no such judgments on No voters and their desire to remain part of a profoundly nationalistic and worryingly xenophobic state.

It's fantastic isn't it. The UK government know they need them but are unwilling to admit it. Why, I don't know. Maybe they think there is a large enough number of racists in their SE constituencies that they feel they the need to appease them somehow. Who knows.....

Sorry either I've got you wrong or you're backtracking slightly, but I took from your earlier posts on this thread that you regarded all Yes voters as nationalists irrespective?

Whilst making no such judgments on No voters and their desire to remain part of a profoundly nationalistic and worryingly xenophobic state.

That's what he was saying. To sum it up...

All people who voted yes for whatever reason are nationalists.

All people who vote to get of the EU are British nationalists.

No, I think it's quite possible for folk to have voted yes and not be raging nationalists. Like I say though, it's probably not possible for folk to bang on and on about Scottish independence to anyone and everyone who will listen, while not also being raging nationalists.

We have open borders for Europeans and EU immigrants are the biggest contributors to our economy out of all the immigrants that make it here.

Immigrants are a NET contributor to the economy. WE NEED THEM.

Ah, so you don't actually mean open borders then.

More crucially, the data is not as clear cut on the benefits. There's a decent study from Oxford university.

http://migrationobservatory.ox.ac.uk/briefings/fiscal-impact-immigration-uk

Are migrants still needed? Of course.

More crucially, the data is not as clear cut on the benefits. There's a decent study from Oxford university.

I've been trying to tell him that but he doesn't seem to think we need controls or to bother if an entire country's population moved here.

No, I think it's quite possible for folk to have voted yes and not be raging nationalists. Like I say though, it's probably not possible for folk to bang on and on about Scottish independence to anyone and everyone who will listen, while not also being raging nationalists.

People who voted No read the White Paper and made a rational judgement based on realistic outcomes while Yes voters seemed to have been in love with the idea of independence. In short they had a warm glow from the fire of dried sh**e that is nationalism

People who voted No read the White Paper and made a rational judgement based on realistic outcomes while Yes voters seemed to have been in love with the idea of independence. In short they had a warm glow from the fire of dried sh**e that is nationalism

Of the people on this thread, I'd say that you're the one whose "rational judgement" I'd trust the least.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2013/nov/05/migration-target-useless-experts

There a hundreds of links showing that immigrants are positive segment of our economy.

EEA immigrants provided 34% more in taxes than they received in benefits.

Other immigrants provided 2% more than received.

Immigrants are 45% less likely than Brits to be receiving benefits and tax credits.

They are a net contributer. There is no strain. That was my point. The same point that the Clarkston fella totally missed.

Ok so do you want to clarify your statement?

No bother - if there's one thing I like less than nationalism, it's folk who barge into conversations that aren't about immigration and start banging on and on about immigration in increasingly strident and angry tones until everyone else loses the will to live.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2013/nov/05/migration-target-useless-experts

There a hundreds of links showing that immigrants are positive segment of our economy.

EEA immigrants provided 34% more in taxes than they received in benefits.

Other immigrants provided 2% more than received.

Immigrants are 45% less likely than Brits to be receiving benefits and tax credits.

They are a net contributer. There is no strain. That was my point. The same point that the Clarkston fella totally missed.

No I said OPEN BORDERS immigration needs to be controlled. Imagine if controls ensured that we didn't get unemployed and criminal elements to add to our internal parties who provide us with a strain on resources. I believe in ensuring our country is a good place to live for selected immigrants and our inhabitants

No bother - if there's one thing I like less than nationalism, it's folk who barge into conversations that aren't about immigration and start banging on and on about immigration in increasingly strident and angry tones until everyone else loses the will to live.

We were discussing nationalism and then the subject of EU membership came up. I take your point that it wasn't directly related but one of the traits of "nationalism" that people accuse people of is the desire to control immigration.

I don't see that as nationalism, I see it as common sense. As for "losing the will to live" the fact I had to explain that to you is frustrating and tedious but maybe you do need it explained to you?

We were discussing nationalism and then the subject of EU membership came up. I take your point that it wasn't directly related but one of the traits of "nationalism" that people accuse people of is the desire to control immigration.

I don't see that as nationalism, I see it as common sense. As for "losing the will to live" the fact I had to explain that to you is frustrating and tedious but maybe you do need it explained to you?

Translation: I did barge into a conversation that wasn't about immigration and bang on endlessly about immigration, and I'm not embarrassed at all for doing so.

Archived