The Storms & Severe Weather Thread

CityDave

Just now, highlandmac said:

Aye it was quite something today,continuous for a couple of hours though saw no lightening,just heard thunder

A 2 o clock kickoff again. There was the one large slow moving storm that was over Culloden Moor which continued to rumble constantly for over an hour, gave of a lot of bolts. The others started popping up along the Great Glen but moved off north west direction, so the West Highlands got it today. Imagine all these hillwalkers who would have started off in bright sunshine running off the hills in blind panic!!!.

The stroms didn't last as long as they did yesterday around Inverness, but there was more rain. Funny the thunder and lightning stopped at the precise time VT dropped that post about Dodds and Gardiner. I did take a look at the weather radar for giggles to see if any storms had suddenly appeared around the Clyde riviera.

FWIW, I met a caver who was hit by lightning on a hill in Assynt, giving him a nice trip to Raigmore.  That said, he was carrying up a big bit of metal scaffolding at the time tbf.

Whilst it could be argued that he never helped himself, his second hit by lightning occurred several hundred metres underground in a cave in the Alps. Whilst on an emergency telephone that was setup to allow cavers to contact the surface in the events of flooding, the phone setup got hit by lightning at the surface, which carried on down the wire to deliver a direct hit to his face.

Neither incident killed him. The fags did though.

On 12/06/2023 at 15:55, jamamafegan said:

Just been driving to Inverness and witnessed some crazy shit on the A9. At the Tomatin Distillery junction a bolt of lightning came down from the about 80m away and struck a field in the absolute pissing rain. As I drove past I could actually see the smoke rising from where the lightning hit. The drama of it all had me whooping in awe

I imagine the cow wasn't. 

3 hours ago, approximately dave said:

The stroms didn't last as long as they did yesterday around Inverness, but there was more rain. Funny the thunder and lightning stopped at the precise time VT dropped that post about Dodds and Gardiner. I did take a look at the weather radar for giggles to see if any storms had suddenly appeared around the Clyde riviera.

A swing and a miss as the wee afternoon shower just dumped all over North Ayrshire again (good) to preserve another glorious day on the tropical Clyde Riviera.

IMG_20230613_213130.thumb.jpg.1d1b1d9ebfe5becd4802d2f92ae14cb6.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...