The club that vanished- The story of Gretna

Wilky1878

I remember they had a striker Gary Cohen - who was a cheating diving c**t. We gave him it stinking for being a cheat and he went to the paper claiming racial abuse. 'We're not racist you're a cheat' was the tag line that followed that.

Of course the Airdrie fans who had similar issues delt with it in their own way...

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They saw the edge of the cliff approaching fast, yet they kept their collective foot on the gas. F***ing cretinous fraudulent b**tards.

http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/sport/football/gretna-make-1-9m-loss-1.295518

GRETNA MAKE £1.9M LOSS

Published at 00:00, Thursday, 16 November 2006

GRETNA Football Club lost nearly £2 million in the last financial year, according to the latest figures.

The ambitious Borderers – currently top of the Scottish First Division – are being bankrolled by Carlisle-based millionaire Brooks Mileson as they “live the dream” of reaching the Scottish Premier League.

And the club’s chief executive Graeme Muir told News & Star Sport there were no concerns about the £1.9 million loss for the financial year ending May 2005.

He said: “We have always said we are not in this to make a profit. That (£2 million) is the amount of investment that has gone into the club thanks to the generosity of our owner (Mileson).

“We have done some restructuring to at the club to look at how it runs in the future.

“But if you are involved in football, that is the reality. We have been to the Scottish Cup final, played in Europe and are on the verge of the SPL,” said Muir.

“That is the type of investment Brooks has put in. It is down to the generosity of the guy.

“You don’t come into football to make a profit.

“The only thing he has got back is a heck of a lot of personal enjoyment.

“Rangers are £72m in debt – that is the level we are going into.”

Gretna, who used to play in the UniBond League, are seeking a third successive championship which would give them promotion to the SPL.

Mileson has introduced £1.9 million to assist replayment of the club’s liabilities.

Wow. Such arrogance.

Especially in retrospect the use of Rangers as an example to give context and to justify the whole sorry affair is absolutely priceless :lol:

I remember they had a striker Gary Cohen - who was a cheating diving c**t. We gave him it stinking for being a cheat and he went to the paper claiming racial abuse. 'We're not racist you're a cheat' was the tag line that followed that.

Of course the Airdrie fans who had similar issues delt with it in their own way...

Catchy

I have no memory of Gretna. They were a nonentity of a club who died long before anybody really cared about them, leaving a lot of people in a financial mess in the process. Irons attitude where he didn't seem to care about the businesses they put out of business didn't surprise. What a horrendously unlikeable man.

My Mum works with James Grady's wife and I gave him my 2004 SPL sticker album (when he played with Thistle) a wee while back. That's my only real connection with the club.

That's because the people at Gretna 2008 went out of their way to emphasise that they are a different club. They didn't want direct association with the way Mileson's lot ended. If Gretna wanted to claim the history and continuation of the old club they could. It's their approach which is fairly unique. Not Rangers. Rangers are not the first reformed club to claim a previous incarnation's history, they won't be the last (though they are undeniably the most previous about it).

Well, yes and no.

Gretna' s mature realism is not unique. The re-born Airdrie had a new badge and new name for goodness' sake. Middlesbrough's new badge had '1986' on it for several years.

I've no desire to get into a bigger New club argument, but it's more complicated than your 'Walks like a duck' test.

Do people think Mileson pulled the plug because..

1 Health

2 Ran outta money

3 Realised getting too expensive

4 lost interest

All of the above

Ok...see above...let me try it another way (im in England and saw this on sky and am genuinely fascinated by the tale)....did Mileson have money in the first place ?

What and when was the tipping point ?

Was fallout with the manager over money ?

Why was Mick Wadsworth brought in ? ( he has never achieved much )

When it was going wrong Mileson just seemed to vanish from what i have read ?

I've always felt there's a bit of hypocrisy regarding Gretna- had Mileson come in and spent money at say, Albion Rovers, would there have been the level of seethe generated?

Gretna were elected into the League before Mileson came in, beating Gala Fairydean, Preston Athletic, Cove Rangers, Huntly and Edinburgh City to a league place. They also beat Airdrie United, perhaps some seethe comes from that fact too.

Interesting comments by the Queens fans as local rivals- when we used to play Annan in the East of Scotland League their crowds were affected by Gretna's success and they used to moan about it.

I've always felt there's a bit of hypocrisy regarding Gretna- had Mileson come in and spent money at say, Albion Rovers, would there have been the level of seethe generated?

Probably yes. Their supporters might have got a bit more sympathy in the end as oppose to the ones that jumped on the bandwaggon with Gretna.

I remember being absolutely SEETHING after they beat us 0-2 at the Rock in a midweek game the season we were relegated. Can't really remember why I was SEETHING mind, possibly because Dumbarton were shite under Paul Martin and were relegated a month later.

f**k Gretna!

Even reading this thread has got me absolutely raging. They epitomised everything I despise about football, and made a mockery of the whole Scottish footballing setup in the process. Yet the media lapped it up in truly pathetic fashion.

It was clear for anyone with eyes and a brain cell how it was going to end which was the only crumb of comfort for me when the whole circus was taking place (it also explains how Rowan "the gaffa" Alexander was clueless to it all)

That would be TV gold. Remember that BBC documentary which was really boke inducing stuff which really had the rose tinted specs on. What ever happened to the guy who was general manager or what ever he didn't come across too well in that programme.

That would be Graeme Muir who is quoted in an earlier post. He would give Davie Irons a run for his money in the smug p***k stakes. Odious little creature.

I was at the 2006 Scottish Cup final. Got a ticket for the Gretna end and I remember not caring who won but hoping someone did in normal time so I could get back up the road to go to a birds house.

Archived