The Maureens v Steelmen 6 pointer 20/12/14

Half time 0-0.

Woof, controversial.

Game sailing along just nicely, then the ref got involved.

On first viewing i thought it was a fifty fifty challenge with both players going in hard. And that if anyone was going to penalised, it would be The Well lad O'Brien.

Decision; Well free kick and straight red for Thompson. Our official twitter immediately implied an appeal was in the offing. We shall see.

Since then we've actually played better than we were prior. Well were the better side up to the red card, we were the better side after it.

That won't last though. Playing with 10 men will gradually take it's toll and Well will dominate the second half.

A point would be a fantastic result for us from here. Well should win now. Should.

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really strange red card.

Looked like Well's 15, having already got away with a few crunching tackles on Thommo (surely part of the game plan) decided to try another.

I also thought it was going to be a foul for Saints but thought the straight red was a bit harsh.

Was as bemused as Thommo seemed to be when the red was for us.

I can only imagine Thommo must have intentionally studded the guy in a nasty vengeful way and the ref spotted it.

Think we've actually been the better of the two teams but the 10 men will surely tell before long.

Feel very sorry for Teale. First game, away to Celtic. Second game, loses our best player after 10 minutes, and presumably for the next 2-3 games too for violent conduct?

Thought Thompson maybe caught O'Brien but it would be our free-kick. Thommo's lack of reaction to the red card is either because he was stunned by what had happened or couldn't argue. The booing of O'Brien has been rather amusing - if we can succeed in getting him to burst into tears then I'm taking that as a win regardless of the result.

McLean no worse as a lone striker than most of the "strikers" we've used this season.

Guy next to me reckons Thommo has stamped down intentionally on the guy for going in recklessly on him yet again and thinks it was deserved, but O Brien should have also received punishment for the initial reckless challenge.

We shall see.

Full time 0-1

One of those today. As anyone who's had the misfortune of paying attention to my posts in the last few years will know, I'm not one to criticise officials on a regular basis.

Today, we were shafted. It happens to every team at some point I guess, it happened to us today.

A dodgy red card given against us first half. A perfectly good goal chopped off in the second. I hope video evidence proves those two decisions to have been correct, would ease the pain. Would be surprised though.

To add to that, we also had a soft penalty appeal not given and a tight offside goal ruled out. Wouldn't have moaned about the latter two normally, as they were both knife edge decisions. The fact we'd been shafted twice earlier and still got neither of them though...yep, seething.

We were the better team today, and I'd hope the reasonable Well fans who were there would agree with me. But yeah, one of those games.

The one guy I really feel sorry for is Teale. I said prematch if we lost today his chance of the gig was gone. We have lost, and i guess his chance has gone. So harsh though, I hope he gets another game. We played well today. To get Celitc away and then get shafted by the officials... Yeah he should get another game.

Next year's SPL champions wasting time against a team at the bottom of the league and without a win all season... oh and who were down to 10 men for 70 minutes.

That's us outplayed Well twice this season but the sad fact is that we've 0 points from those games and Well have 6.

Really glad the team got applauded off at the end. Spirit and effort miles ahead of the stuff we've been seeing in the last couple of months.

Archived