The Maureens v Steelmen 6 pointer 20/12/14

I'll join the collective heads gone and say that the officials were awful today and that Saints were the better team. I hope Handsome John feels suitably guilty.

With regards to the red card, it looked to me as if Thompson reacted badly after he had been fouled a few times without winning a free kick and attempted a stamp on O'Brien. I think the highlights will show that decision was correct. If so, that's utter stupidity from Thompson and he has a lot of explaining to do.

McLean's goal was well over the line though, disgraceful decision. Not sure how the referee and linesman got it wrong between them. A couple of Motherwell defenders even stopped playing and started shouting at each other. I was even more gutted when Jim curled a 25 yarder just past the post in the aftermath. :(

I think Tesselaar was just onside when he rushed through and scored that lovely chip too. A couple of bad fouls on McLean were completely ignored and there was a shove from Lasley (I think) in the build-up to the Well goal as well. The penalty call was desperation though. At least the typical utter seethe at St Mirren Park was mostly justified today. I enjoyed someone telling the linesman they hoped he had a shite Christmas "COS YIVE RUINED OORS!!1!!!"

In terms of performance, it was great to see a bit of fight and passion for the first time in months. Naismith and McLean were excellent and McLear and Mallan both had good games too, they look far better options than the likes of Wylde and Reilly so hopefully they get a run in the team. I think McGinn had yet another poor game though, he seems really low on confidence at the moment and keeps making the wrong decisions. Hopefully we can take the spirit and positives from today's performance and get something at Dens Park on Saturday.

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The red card to our lone striker didn't really affect the match! #knowsfukawaboutfitba

Indeed :D

Bobby seems a wee bit upset.

Actually, if we have to lose, I can't think of a less bad way for it to happen:

Outplay the opposition.

Have some awful refereeing decisions go against us which cost us the match.

Team and fans showing some spirit.

Consolation bet (which I upped for this match) comes in.

Would far rather have got a point or three, but far from upset - god, we could have played terribly, been beaten by a poor Well team, and have showed the same lack of fight we have done for the last 2-3 months.

Can't comment on the red as I missed it at the time but these things happen. Penalty shout was right on front of me and I thought it was but, again, sometimes you don't get them.

Tesselar was offside and he put the ball in the net after the 'well players had stopped. Its a push to say it was a 'goal' that was chalked off.

All of these happen in every game and you've got to take the good with the bad.

However the decision not to award the goal to McLean was unbelievable. Unbelievable. After the ball bounced it actually hit the underside of the roof of the net, if you know what I mean. Still can't believe it wasn't given. We get that, we dig in and try and hold on - which I believe we would have done as Motherwell were not very good today.

The red card, the penalty and the Tess decision I can live with, more than payback for the McManus penalty last year, but the McLean goal not being given will cost us our premier league status as we won't make up 6 points on Motherwell.

Seething, verge of tears etc etc.

Alan Muir was fucking atrocious but I can't comment on the 'goal' or the sending off. It was a bad challenge by Thompson but I was surprised when the referee came out with a straight red, so as someone said previously you have to suspect the referee saw something. And to be fair Thompson didn't seem to protest too much.

At the far end of the pitch I can't say whether the header went over the line or not either. Again my first impression was that it was a goal but based on a view from 100 yards away.

Overall both teams were poor I felt though at least St. Mirren had the excuse that they only had 10 men for most of the match. However, with all due respect to St. Mirren, I think we have a significantly better players in our side, even if they aren't performing at the moment, and it was exactly because of that with basically one really well executed triangle move in the match we were able to take all three points.

Probably a draw would have been the fair result.

Alan Muir was fucking atrocious but I can't comment on the 'goal' or the sending off. It was a bad challenge by Thompson but I was surprised when the referee came out with a straight red, so as someone said previously you have to suspect the referee saw something. And to be fair Thompson didn't seem to protest too much.

At the far end of the pitch I can't say whether the header went over the line or not either. Again my first impression was that it was a goal but based on a view from 100 yards away.

Overall both teams were poor I felt though at least St. Mirren had the excuse that they only had 10 men for most of the match. However, with all due respect to St. Mirren, I think we have a significantly better players in our side, even if they aren't performing at the moment, and it was exactly because of that with basically one really well executed triangle move in the match we were able to take all three points.

Probably a draw would have been the fair result.

I've seen Well twice against us this season, and both times they were really poor.

Today especially against 10 men for 70 minutes.

I think you've got 14 points? 6 of them from us? 4 from Ross County?

Hardly what you'd expect from a team with a bunch of good players.

I've seen Well twice against us this season, and both times they were really poor.

Today especially against 10 men for 70 minutes.

I think you've got 14 points? 6 of them from us? 4 from Ross County?

Hardly what you'd expect from a team with a bunch of good players.

How many 2nd and 3rd place finishes have St. Mirren had recently? Those players have done it over long league seasons. This season we have been poor but I think we have players that would walk into a St. Mirren no problem - Ainsworth, Ojamaa, Vigurs, Sutton, Lasley etc.

I agree that we have been poor in both matches against St. Mirren and that on play you guys probably 'deserved' 4 points instead of 0 (3 at Fir Park where you missed half a dozen sitters and 1 today) but the fact is if you play better teams and don't take your chances they tend to punish you with a little bit of quality and that's exactly what we did today. We played about 10 seconds of football and it was enough to win us the match.

John Sutton has been very poor this season and lot of people want him dropped but I'll bet every St. Mirren supporter would take him over Ball or Marwood. And that's what I'm talking about.

John Sutton has been very poor this season and lot of people want him dropped but I'll bet every St. Mirren supporter would take him over Ball or Marwood. And that's what I'm talking about.

I love John Sutton, would take him in a minute. Unfortunately our fans never really appreciated him. They would much rather like donkeys like Dargo and Mehmet.

How many 2nd and 3rd place finishes have St. Mirren had recently? Those players have done it over long league seasons. This season we have been poor but I think we have players that would walk into a St. Mirren no problem - Ainsworth, Ojamaa, Vigurs, Sutton, Lasley etc.

I agree that we have been poor in both matches against St. Mirren and that on play you guys probably 'deserved' 4 points instead of 0 (3 at Fir Park where you missed half a dozen sitters and 1 today) but the fact is if you play better teams and don't take your chances they tend to punish you with a little bit of quality and that's exactly what we did today. We played about 10 seconds of football and it was enough to win us the match.

Ball and Marwood would struggle to get a game in the championship so not really the best comparison.

I love John Sutton, would take him in a minute. Unfortunately our fans never really appreciated him. They would much rather like donkeys like Dargo and Mehmet.

That's drivel. Of course Sutton was appreciated - no idea where you're getting the idea from that he wasn't.

At the time, I thought it was red. O'Brien caught Thompson with a tasty challenge a few minutes previously which Thompson was visibly annoyed at. The red card looked like him trying to get his own back on O'Brien by leaving a bit on him. From where I was it looked like Thompson's foot was high and his studs were showing and he it looked to have followed through on O'Brien.

StMirrenGallery20122014F.jpg

Hard to tell from a still picture but if Thompson does catch O'Brien here then he can have nobody to blame but himself.

Coincidentally there's no way Thompson's fit. He tried chasing a ball early doors and he could barely muster a hobble with his face grimacing with every stride. Guy looks like he's been patched up due to the fact he's Saints only decent striker. The fact they played Kenny McLean up front for over hour must show what Teale thinks of the likes of Ball & Marwood.

On the game, I was encouraged by Baraclough's instance on passing the ball out from the back. You could probably count on one hand the number of times we lumped the ball long towards Sutton where as in most games this season you'd see it 15-20 times a game easily. We had a fair amount of possession but it was quite slow and lacking in any sort of penetration apart from the goal which was a thing of beauty. Started from the back, a wonderfully weighted ball in behind the Saints defence by Ojamaa onto a great overlapping run from Law at fullback, great ball across the face of goal by Law and John Sutton done what he does best by being on hand to turn the ball into the back of the net from inside the six yard box. Fitting that a game lacking in quality was settled by the one truly good bit of football in the 90 mins.

No surprise we lacked a cutting edge though when Lawson and Vigurs, are two best passers of the ball, were in the stand. Carswell and Lasley both put in a shift but they are both lacking in imagination and creativity. Too many square, safe passes when a quicker switch of play was required. Still encouraging to see Baraclough stick to his word about getting the ball down and playing out from the back. Also true to his word about giving the young boys a chance, great to see Dom Thomas finally get his debut even if it was only for 10 mins. Big fan of the boy and I've said before I have high hopes for him in the future.

Also he wasn't afraid to change it when it wasn't working. Took of Ferguson at half time for Erwin, changed shape slightly and put Law to full back which was crucial to the goal with his overlapping run.

Not getting carried away though, St.Mirren are a sorry lot and despite their fans claims to the contrary they were quite poor and down to 10 men. Two headers from set pieces aside, one cleared off the line by Law the other possibly over the line, they didn't create a great deal. Then again neither did we and as I said to my mind the only real bit of quality in the game ended in a goal.

However I'll take a clean sheet and three points as a solid starting point to build from. Whilst it might take time for Baraclough to implement his style of play properly, right now points are all that matter and today was a big 3 points to put some breathing space between ourselves and the bottom two. A win next week against Thistle drags us to within touching distance of them and Killie.

Coincidentally there's no way Thompson's fit. He tried chasing a ball early doors and he could barely muster a hobble with his face grimacing with every stride. Guy looks like he's been patched up due to the fact he's Saints only decent striker.

Chasing a ball is more than he managed against us a couple of weeks ago, when he was feeling his groin from very early into the game. He got some good flicks but was totally immobile. I know St Mirren are desperate for points but having a fit Thompson in a month's time is surely better than what they are getting at the moment but with an increased risk of the injury recurring. Him having to sit out two games might turn out to be a blessing in disguise.

Not getting carried away though, St.Mirren are a sorry lot and despite their fans claims to the contrary they were quite poor and down to 10 men. Two headers from set pieces aside, one cleared off the line by Law the other possibly over the line, they didn't create a great deal. Then again neither did we and as I said to my mind the only real bit of quality in the game ended in a goal.

So aside from a clear goal and 3 clear cut chances we didn't create a lot?

Might not be saying a lot but that's about 4 matches worth of chances under Tommy Craig, so I''ll take it for now.

Archived