The Maureens v Steelmen 6 pointer 20/12/14

Sorry to join the ranks of seething, verge of tears, etc, but the ref was the decisive factor in that game today. I don't know if Thompson deserved his red card, or if we should have had a penalty, but I'm absolutely convinced that header crossed the line. If TV evidence proved it didn't, then fair enough, but I'm pretty confident we were absolutely shafted today by some particularly bad officiating.

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sorry to join the ranks of seething, verge of tears, etc, but the ref was the decisive factor in that game today. I don't know if Thompson deserved his red card, or if we should have had a penalty, but I'm absolutely convinced that header crossed the line. If TV evidence proved it didn't, then fair enough, but I'm pretty confident we were absolutely shafted today by some particularly bad officiating.

Almost as bad as a referee awarding a penalty when it clearly hits the player in the face.

We have played St Johnstone twice and deserved a couple of draws but lost both games. That is how it works from time to time......

Almost as bad as a referee awarding a penalty when it clearly hits the player in the face. We have played St Johnstone twice and deserved a couple of draws but lost both games. That is how it works from time to time......

I don't disagree, however I was talking specfically about today.

BTW, as for the penalty you were talking about, Motherwell fans should know just how well "tactical booing" works.

An important 3 points for us although we witnessed 2 dire teams. Still we placed less reliance on the long hoof up the park. Surprised how little has been said about our goal - it was a well worked team effort. Saints were always going to be hard to beat after losing a man. Referee was dire to both sides, although he got Thomson's red card right. Thomson's initial challenge may have been worthy of a yellow card at most but his stamp was a straight red. O'Brien was rightly hooked at half time as he'd become a target for Saints fans and players.

As for the chalked off goal I was at the wrong end and couldn't make an informed judgement. I suspect few fans actually saw what happened. TV may show an accurate assessment.

At the time, I thought it was red. O'Brien caught Thompson with a tasty challenge a few minutes previously which Thompson was visibly annoyed at. The red card looked like him trying to get his own back on O'Brien by leaving a bit on him. From where I was it looked like Thompson's foot was high and his studs were showing and he it looked to have followed through on O'Brien.

StMirrenGallery20122014F.jpg

Hard to tell from a still picture but if Thompson does catch O'Brien here then he can have nobody to blame but himself.

Coincidentally there's no way Thompson's fit. He tried chasing a ball early doors and he could barely muster a hobble with his face grimacing with every stride. Guy looks like he's been patched up due to the fact he's Saints only decent striker. The fact they played Kenny McLean up front for over hour must show what Teale thinks of the likes of Ball & Marwood.

Yeah, hard to tell from a still.

At the game I thought O'Brien had gone through Thommo from behind again.

Can't remember any time I've seen a player red carded for studding someone who's tackling them when they're both facing the same way.

Most people around us were thinking O'Brien was the offender, and initially I think we were as dumfounded as Thommo appeared to be.

An important 3 points for us although we witnessed 2 dire teams. Still we placed less reliance on the long hoof up the park. Surprised how little has been said about our goal - it was a well worked team effort. Saints were always going to be hard to beat after losing a man. Referee was dire to both sides, although he got Thomson's red card right. Thomson's initial challenge may have been worthy of a yellow card at most but his stamp was a straight red. O'Brien was rightly hooked at half time as he'd become a target for Saints fans and players.

As for the chalked off goal I was at the wrong end and couldn't make an informed judgement. I suspect few fans actually saw what happened. TV may show an accurate assessment.

So Thompson did a yellow card tackle and then stamped on the player; all in the same incident?

No wonder he was sent off then.

Alan Muir, I take it all back.

Just out of interest, what were the incidents where Muir was dire to Motherwell?

I do remember us getting a controversial throw in on the halfway line that could have possibly been Motherwell's. Hopefully the TV footage will clear that one up.

Referee was dire to both sides, although he got Thomson's red card right. Thomson's initial challenge may have been worthy of a yellow card at most but his stamp was a straight red.

Thompson's initial challenge wasn't a challenge at all. O'Brien was the player with all the momentum who came flying in from behind. He done so on three seep rate occasions in that first half. All were high, all were reckless. The picture Casagolda put up is very misleading as it shows Thompson going in at knee height, whereas in reality, his foot was there already and O'Brien is the one flying in from the back.

Anyhoo, what's done is done. The fact of the matter is, it's going to be a hell of a long road back from here now. The only positive yesterday was that the first shoots of recovery are there now and the team CAN play to an actual system instead of the shapeless blob we had become.

If a new gaffer comes in and rescues us from this position, he'll be a legend. I think it's fair to say though that whoever does take it will be under no pressure or expectation to do so as the damage done by Craig is irreparable in one transfer window.

Coincidentally there's no way Thompson's fit. He tried chasing a ball early doors and he could barely muster a hobble with his face grimacing with every stride. Guy looks like he's been patched up due to the fact he's Saints only decent striker. The fact they played Kenny McLean up front for over hour must show what Teale thinks of the likes of Ball & Marwood.

My old man pointed out this moment as well, reckoned thompsons been told he's not going to be manager so no longer gives a f**k. Either that, or he's just horribly unfit.

The sensitive bunch in the stand on our right seemed terribly upset by O'Brien. I'd like to see them again, but I thought in all of the ones that left them screeching like banshees, O'Brien had won the ball, then clattered into the man. Yeah, they were at pace, yes they were hard challenges, but he'd won the ball with each of them.

Reassuring that Baraclough was so readily able to change what we were doing. Josh Law even looked like there was a player there at right back, with a great ball for the goal.

That's the proudest I've been watching the Saints since we won the cup.

The 2 young boys were excellent. It's as if the pressure was off us when Thommo got sent off.

Well won't care, they got the win but I seen a vast improvement in us.

Agreed on all counts.

Have to chuckle at some of the more smug 'well fans, though. To scrape an undeserved 1-0 victory from a match in which they were outplayed by 10 men for 70 minutes - dearie me. They had better keep looking over their shoulders as we are on the way back.

Had spoken to a few supporters of different teams who felt that Motherwell this season were as poor a premier league side as they had ever seen, assumed this must have been an exaggeration and just relative to the last few years they were struggling, however based on yesterday they truly are horrendous! I'm sure they will be delighted with the three points, but to absolutely mug a ten men team packed with wee boys from their youth academy should be little source of satisfaction, playing like that Motherwell are doomed. From a St Mirren perspective I thought there was a lot to like, Mclear, McLean, McGinn, Mallan, Naismith all young home grown talent playing well in the first team - that alone is something to be proud of. Think if they can just get a couple of breaks and gain some momentum these boys have the makings of a good team. Really like Osbourne as well, if they can keep him fit he could be a massive player for St Mirren. Need to see the red card incident again, but my gut instinct is that Thompson has sold the jerseys. The big man has been about long enough to know that you need to just take the hits from big thugs like that number 15 and sooner or later the ref will catch up with them.

Had spoken to a few supporters of different teams who felt that Motherwell this season were as poor a premier league side as they had ever seen, assumed this must have been an exaggeration and just relative to the last few years they were struggling, however based on yesterday they truly are horrendous! I'm sure they will be delighted with the three points, but to absolutely mug a ten men team packed with wee boys from their youth academy should be little source of satisfaction, playing like that Motherwell are doomed. From a St Mirren perspective I thought there was a lot to like, Mclear, McLean, McGinn, Mallan, Naismith all young home grown talent playing well in the first team - that alone is something to be proud of. Think if they can just get a couple of breaks and gain some momentum these boys have the makings of a good team. Really like Osbourne as well, if they can keep him fit he could be a massive player for St Mirren. Need to see the red card incident again, but my gut instinct is that Thompson has sold the jerseys. The big man has been about long enough to know that you need to just take the hits from big thugs like that number 15 and sooner or later the ref will catch up with them.

You've got to love the Maureens eh???

Outplayed by 10 men for 70 mins? go and have a look at the match stats.

Mate if we're horrendous which tbh we have been what does that make you?

As one of your other posters said we will be looking over our shoulders at you, yeah watchin you prop up the league.

Accused of having thugs in our team when you still play the biggest thug in Scottish (if not British) football in Goodwin.

You might be bottom of the league in football terms but if there was a league table for moanin faced b*****ds you would be clear by 10 points at the top

The sensitive bunch in the stand on our right seemed terribly upset by O'Brien. I'd like to see them again, but I thought in all of the ones that left them screeching like banshees, O'Brien had won the ball, then clattered into the man. Yeah, they were at pace, yes they were hard challenges, but he'd won the ball with each of them.

I actually said to the people I was with - even before the red card - that it looked like Muir had rolled back refereeing to the 50s with the challenges he was letting O'Brian away with.

In the modern game, just getting a touch on the ball does not let you wipe out the player.

So many other things to get annoyed about yesterday, but I'd forgotten a couple:

Lasley taking out Osbourne in the first half, no punishment, then a really bad foul on Mclear - and he gets a warning word. Then he goes down holding his face trying to get Ball sent off. Lasley must be so glad he's not followed by Goodwin-cam or he'd miss an extra 5-6 games a season.

Well's No. 2 not getting booked for the most outrageous time-wasting, then 30 seconds later puts his studs in to Naismith. Result - yellow card for No 2, and to McLean and a Well player, for what happened in the protests.

Still waiting to hear about all these dire decisions he made that adversely affected Motherwell :-)

Archived