St Mirren Relegation Express

This aint a dig at the rivals for the sake of having a dig at the rivals but surely St. Mirren fans must be fucking glad!?

They've spent the last few years aiming for 11th and watching, mostly, dire football and precession of average players and during this time have seen smaller or similar sized clubs like St. Johnstone, Accies, ICT and Ross County have their moments in the league which, that hilarious night v Celtic aside, they've not had much of themselves.

A chance to be in the top half of the league next year and games against us and two from Hibs/Well/Sevco must seem like a great prize instead of a demotion.

It's a fair point and one I would agree with if I felt we could come back from this with a fresh impetus and completely clean slate like the Edinburgh clubs have done.

I feel that this is just the start of our woes though and the most galling thing is that with the right manager and right attitude from the board next season, we'll be pushing top 3 or 4. We're almost certs to be bottom 3 or 4 though if everything remains as it is in terms of staff and lack of support at board level.

That being said though, we've had some good moments, in our time in the top flight, we've beaten Celtic in all 3 domestic competitions, had a few victories against Sevco, were the thorn in Aberdeen, Dundee Utd and Hibs side at one point or another for long enough and of course had two cup finals with the most wildly varying results.

Although we couldn't kick on when we certainly should have, they have certainly been the best years of my 30 on this planet supporting Saints and I wouldn't change them for anything.

• Replies 909
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mind Stewart Gilmour said 5 clubs would probably go into administration within weeks if Sevco started in division 3? Mind that? For that reason, I'm glad the weasel is still in charge while they're relegated.

Even though most level headed people knew it was all scaremongering at the time, look how ridiculous this article looks now:

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/st-mirren-chief-stewart-gilmour-1166826

Is it true that Thistle have achieved more points this season than St Mirren have achieved in any season during their current top flight spell?

The jokes, the gifs, the pointing-and-laughing, the 'GIRFUY' comments, the 'cheerio' jibes... all deserved. Absolutely deserved and any Saints fans who regularly post on here need to hold their hands up and take it on the chin. From Dundee fans who have a team who have pushed on, from Accies fans who had a great season until crippled by the loss of not only a manager, but a midfielder, and from Thistle fans who have watched their team rack up more points than we ever managed in nine attempts.

All fair game. We were utterly shit, and it looks like being a long road back. However.... Morton fans. Coming out from nowhere with gifs and jibes. Seriously?

Yes, we were shit. So shit that we reached a League Cup final in 2010, and again in 2013, winning it in a thrilling 3-2 final after another thrilling 3-2 semi final win over Scotland's champions and undeniably the best and strongest team - Celtic. We also had nearly a decade as a top flight club. Not always pretty to watch, and we fannied around in the bottom six.... But I tell you this - it sure beat the kind of fannying around undertaken by our Greenock cousins over the last decade.

Morton fans would do well to button their lips for a wee while. Shhhh!

The jokes, the gifs, the pointing-and-laughing, the 'GIRFUY' comments, the 'cheerio' jibes... all deserved. Absolutely deserved and any Saints fans who regularly post on here need to hold their hands up and take it on the chin. From Dundee fans who have a team who have pushed on, from Accies fans who had a great season until crippled by the loss of not only a manager, but a midfielder, and from Thistle fans who have watched their team rack up more points than we ever managed in nine attempts.

All fair game. We were utterly shit, and it looks like being a long road back. However.... Morton fans. Coming out from nowhere with gifs and jibes. Seriously?

Yes, we were shit. So shit that we reached a League Cup final in 2010, and again in 2013, winning it in a thrilling 3-2 final after another thrilling 3-2 semi final win over Scotland's champions and undeniably the best and strongest team - Celtic. We also had nearly a decade as a top flight club. Not always pretty to watch, and we fannied around in the bottom six.... But I tell you this - it sure beat the kind of fannying around undertaken by our Greenock cousins over the last decade.

Good post. Especially the bit about the Morton diddies. The brass neck shown from these clowns is absolutely unbelievable.

awww... there there

awww... there there

I'm not in need of a hanky to dry my eyes. We fully deserve to be relegated. I said so. Trolling is easy, you look like you're decent at it. Try something with a bit more substance... Outline what Morton have been up to 2005 - 2015.... Then tell me why I should be crying over forum jibes from Greenock Morton fans. Go on, let's have it.... Morton. 2005-2015.

If you aim for 11th every season, you sorta get what you deserve.

Nail on head. I'm not even upset now, as it's been coming for quite some time. I'm a bit pissed off at the fact we've gone out without even so much as an attempt at a fight but I'm genuinely looking forward to next season. The derbies back, possibly Rangers or Hibs as well. Plus games we always had good games against Falkirk over the years, and it's been a while since I went to Starks Park. Hopefully Forfar come up as well, as I've never been there.

I'm not in need of a hanky to dry my eyes. We fully deserve to be relegated. I said so. Trolling is easy, you look like you're decent at it. Try something with a bit more substance... Outline what Morton have been up to 2005 - 2015.... Then tell me why I should be crying over forum jibes from Greenock Morton fans. Go on, let's have it.... Morton. 2005-2015.

Three league titles and the joy of seeing Freddy Bachirou

Nail on head. I'm not even upset now, as it's been coming for quite some time. I'm a bit pissed off at the fact we've gone out without even so much as an attempt at a fight but I'm genuinely looking forward to next season. The derbies back, possibly Rangers or Hibs as well. Plus games we always had good games against Falkirk over the years, and it's been a while since I went to Starks Park. Hopefully Forfar come up as well, as I've never been there.

This is the biggest saving grace to relegation. Relegation is NOT good, but it has happened, so we need to look at who we will be playing, and this is where it gets rather tasty. Depending on playoffs, next year's Championship will see us in with the Sports Direct Works XI / Hibs / Queens / Motherwell / Ross C / Killie / Falkirk / Morton / Raith / Livvy / Alloa.....

On any given Saturday (which will now at least mostly be 3pm on a Saturday!) games against most teams will see good crowds and a bit of atmosphere. It will be a competitive division too. My fear is that we are looking at four or five clubs who will be more competitive than us. They will have bigger budgets, better managers, directors who actually give a fcuk, and better and more organised players.

Fifth place at best for us IMHO. Hopefully we get Morton away in the opener. Derby, flag raising, sell out, atmosphere, perfect pitch, hopefully warm weather....

Cue Livingston away then.

Even since 2000, the last year we played them in the league. There's a good few St. Mirren fans who have never really known Morton as a derby. If you're 20 years old, and started going to games when you were 5 or 6, you probably won't ever have seen St. Mirren and Morton play in a league match. I'll be 30 next month and I reckon St. Mirren and Morton have only been in the same league for maybe 5 seasons, that I've been following St. Mirren.

Three league titles and the joy of seeing Freddy Bachirou

Nothing in the Petrofac Training Bells B&Q Ramsdens Diddy Challenge Cup?

Poor show. Looking forward to our meetings next season. Most Saints fans, me included, have wanted Morton to come up to the top flight during our own nine-season run there, but you kept shitting it around Christmas time and fcuked it up. Never mind... We have contrived to get the Renfewshire derby back as a meaningful league fixture due to our own ineptitude.

Nothing in the Petrofac Training Bells B&Q Ramsdens Diddy Challenge Cup? Poor show. Looking forward to our meetings next season. Most Saints fans, me included, have wanted Morton to come up to the top flight during our own nine-season run there, but you kept shitting it around Christmas time and fcuked it up. Never mind... We have contrived to get the Renfewshire derby back as a meaningful league fixture due tonourvown ineptitude.

They did get to a final in the 90s I believe, where they lost. At Love Street. That must have hurt.

They did get to a final in the 90s I believe, where they lost. At Love Street. That must have hurt.

My first "away" game. I had a great day. Got a bridie. We didn't get those at Cappielow.

Genuinely no other memories of that match apart from Mark Pickering getting hit on the back from a keeper's kick out and someone (Mahood maybe?) getting injured

If you aim for 11th every season, you sorta get what you deserve.

Nail on the head - St Mirren never appeared to have a plan to get further than bottom 6 and surviving - and plenty of other clubs with similar resources have come up, consolidated and then pushed on whilst Saints have turned in a string of double digit finishes and done no better than treading water. The brilliant league cup win should have been a catalyst to move things on but it hasn't turned out that way.

The main difference is whereas other clubs (ICT, St Johnstone, Dundee, Accies, etc) have appointed well with their Managers and signed players that got excellent value for their budget, St Mirren didn't basically. Gus did the initial bit of keeping them up but after that, they've never had the right man in charge...

Archived