St Johnstone vs Partick Thistle

Come Saturday, 7735 days will have passed since Thistle last won a game in Perth- we've had 15 goes since.

At that point Gary Fraser who will almost certainly play for us on Saturday hadn't been born, Cool Runnings was in the cinema, and this classic was at the top of the charts.

I would do anything for an away win, but I won't do that.

Hopefully the extra time off will give us a chance to get players (Frans, Osman, Higgy) back fit and maybe even a left back signing.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember a time back in the mid/late 90's when it seemed we always scored 4 against Thistle especially away.

96/7 I think we went something like 9 games without conceding a goal until Falkirk got one, scored by the player who died a few years back - Paul McGrillen

Big Roddy didn't look too unhappy at scoring a hat-trick against his dream team!

John Davies always did wear his shorts ridiculously high.

Anyone remember a game at McD between the two sides early to mid 1990's, think it might have been the league cup, which finished 2-2 I think and went to penalties? John Davies had been a bit of a boo boy at the time but bravely stepped up to score the winning penalty.

On that note.. Gary MacDonald to score the winner in a close fought game. 2-1 Saints.

Yeah I remember that game. We were two nil up early on but Thistle scored twice right on half time. Davies scored winning penalty and Totten made a point of him going to the East Stand afterwards. Bit of a mixed reaction......

Was last time Thistle won in Perth John McClelland's last game in charge? 3-1 defeat and Roddy Grant scored in that one as well. Sturrock took over from there. Fairly sure McClelland played in that game and was horrendous. 1993?

Some blasts from the past in that one.. Gunni Thorfasen, Anthony Cole (signed from Middlesborough??) and you're right about Mclelland having a shocker!

I'm sure John Davies was our record signing for a while around that time - £160,000 from Clydebank. Up Until we bought Paul Wright for £280,000 from Hibs a year or so later.

Amazing to think that was 23 years ago and it's light years away from the money getting spent now in Scottish football. I don't think we'd even pay £160k for Lionel Messi these days!!

Big Roddy didn't look too unhappy at scoring a hat-trick against his dream team!

John Davies always did wear his shorts ridiculously high.

Anyone remember a game at McD between the two sides early to mid 1990's, think it might have been the league cup, which finished 2-2 I think and went to penalties? John Davies had been a bit of a boo boy at the time but bravely stepped up to score the winning penalty.

On that note.. Gary MacDonald to score the winner in a close fought game. 2-1 Saints.

I may be wrong, but I thought that the penalties ended with Mark McWalter hitting the post as opposed to Saints scoring?

Anthony Cole (signed from Middlesborough??)

Thought it was Newcastle but a quick google shows it was Newcastle, Boro then Saints. I liked him. You could tell there had been a player in there before injury took it's toll. Found this about him from a few years ago...http://www.thejournal.co.uk/business/business-news/united-training-tips-winner-business-4516875

In same search it turns out there is still a St Johnston cricket club and indeed a town in Northern Ireland. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Johnston_Cricket_Club I never knew. I wonder if they'd allow an Ann Summers in their High Street.

We need three points from this, as we then play Caley and Aberdeen. We're also edging towards the important Scottish Cup tie. If we're wanting to secure top six then beating the lower half sides at home is an absolute neccesary.

We need Brian Easton back for this as we've struggled without him. Certainly Lappin at left back shouldn't be considered again but even Miller and Mackay at full back isn't ideal. I'd almost suggest if we do need to go with that pair, he tries Miller on the left so we at least still have the threat of Mackay on the right. Other than that, think we need to try and maintain the stability that saw us go on the good run.

Always impressed by the manner in which Thistle play. Expected them to kick on a bit more than they have this season but that could yet come.

Ando at left back?

Who plays centre back then? Much like Lappin at left back, I think the notion of Gary Miller should be consigned to the last resort category, so you are shifting Mackay again. Surely Easton should be fine though. When we get him, Mackay, Anderson and Wright on the park, we don't give much away. Since Wright came back in after getting his injection - at Firhill against Thistle as it happens - we've lost just 5 goals in 9 games. Gives us such a strong base to work off.

Always impressed by the manner in which Thistle play. Expected them to kick on a bit more than they have this season but that could yet come.

We have the makings of a good team, have been a touch unlucky with injuries (although not too much more than average, and Sean Welsh doesn't count) but have had an incredibly bizarre run of inconsistent results. I still expect us to comfortably avoid relegation but possibly not do as well as we 'should.' There's a clutch of decent teams though (I expect Killie to fall through to tenth eventually) and I'm not sure where we deserve to be in that group.

Was just throwing out ideas to counter a Lappin LB or Miller LB scenario.

When we have our best back four out there the whole team plays better. We defend well, retain the ball much better and attack far better with more purpose. Get that out there and I'm confident. Start with a different combination and there's a good chance of a fiasco.

Archived