St Johnstone vs Partick Thistle

We have the makings of a good team, have been a touch unlucky with injuries (although not too much more than average, and Sean Welsh doesn't count) but have had an incredibly bizarre run of inconsistent results. I still expect us to comfortably avoid relegation but possibly not do as well as we 'should.' There's a clutch of decent teams though (I expect Killie to fall through to tenth eventually) and I'm not sure where we deserve to be in that group.

Without wanting to take too much away from Accies or Inverness, you could maybe argue a main difference between them and Saints, Thistle and Dundee has been the consistency of selection they've been afforded. Saints losing MacLean so soon after May leaving and when the club had gambled on not making signings hurt us for a month, Thistle haven't been able to get arguably their best two centre backs together for more than three games and Dundee too have lost players at various times.

RG said above that Saints need to win this game but in terms of the top six, it's far more vital for Thistle. To fall eleven points behind Saints in sixth (albeit with a game in hand) would leave Thistle with a lot of work to do.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RG said above that Saints need to win this game but in terms of the top six, it's far more vital for Thistle. To fall eleven points behind Saints in sixth (albeit with a game in hand) would leave Thistle with a lot of work to do.

That was kind of my point, tbh. A loss here opens up the possibility of more than just Kilmarnock challenging for the spot.

Big Roddy didn't look too unhappy at scoring a hat-trick against his dream team!

John Davies always did wear his shorts ridiculously high.

Anyone remember a game at McD between the two sides early to mid 1990's, think it might have been the league cup, which finished 2-2 I think and went to penalties? John Davies had been a bit of a boo boy at the time but bravely stepped up to score the winning penalty.

On that note.. Gary MacDonald to score the winner in a close fought game. 2-1 Saints.

I have a feeling that Don McVicar got sent off after the final whistle but before the penalties were taken. That might be complete bollocks but I remember it as a head butt on someone.

Did John Davies not score the last goals before 3 managers got sacked? I think Lou Macari was one.

I have a feeling that Don McVicar got sent off after the final whistle but before the penalties were taken. That might be complete bollocks but I remember it as a head butt on someone.

Did John Davies not score the last goals before 3 managers got sacked? I think Lou Macari was one.

Liam Brady I think.

I always condider that 3rd Roddy goal as the goal that relegated us, since we were relegated on GD by 1 goal from Partick.

Wonder if Wright will be tempted to through Kane into this one?

If not like to see O'Hallaron through the middle with Maclean off him. Easton being fit would be a massive boost too. Missing him through the balance of the team off completely.

Mannus

Mackay Anderson WrightEaston

Millar Lappin

Croft Maclean Wotherspoon

O'Hallaron

Wonder if Wright will be tempted to through Kane into this one?

If not like to see O'Hallaron through the middle with Maclean off him. Easton being fit would be a massive boost too. Missing him through the balance of the team off completely.

Mannus

Mackay Anderson WrightEaston

Millar Lappin

Croft Maclean Wotherspoon

O'Hallaron

That's the 11 I'd play, but in a slightly different order. O'Halloran on the left, with Wotherspoon just in behind Maclean. That will allow both Wotherspoon and O'Halloran to drift and Maclean is the best link between those 4 players.

Expecting a tough game, but we really need to win this when you look at the games coming up for us.

I always condider that 3rd Roddy goal as the goal that relegated us, since we were relegated on GD by 1 goal from Partick.

I always prefer to think we were reconstructed rather than relegated that season.

Steve's right, think it was Brady got sacked after Davies scored his 2 against them. Can't remember the headbutt, but Don McVicar got charged after the massive game where we beat them 2-1 in the first season at McDiarmid. Crowd of over 10,000 for a first division game.

When we scored he celebrated in front of the crowd and all the greeting thistle fans ran to complain to the police. Seriously, if you can't give an away support a good GIRUY gesture when you score, then what's the point of it all??!! ;)

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/spl/aberdeen/soccer-player-for-trial-1.595809

I'd forgotten that he later went onto play for Thistle as well.

Aye, McVicar had a good wee spell with us including lifting the Tennents Sixes trophy- can't believe it's nearly 10 years since he died.

Great quote from the Herald Article from 1990.

"He is accused of shouting, swearing and gesticulating in an obscene manner, all to the alarm, upset and annoyance of the lieges."

Much better than a 2-match offer from the compliance officer.

I'm sure I found my ticket for that game at my parents' house a few years back, price was scandalously cheap.

It was a cracking atmosphere. I remember Saints had a shot that crossed the line but wasn't given as a goal. The Thistle end burst into a chorus of "that was in hahaha that was in hahaha". For some reason I found it really funny and it's stuck with me.

A Typically no-nonsense Dougie Donnelly intro "for the losers, very little has gone right since..."

Postponed!

Starting to think that myself. Our game against Thistle's under 20s has already been postponed because of a waterlogged pitch this week and the forecast is for snow. Our carpark is a b*****d to clear, so the police will likely call it off on grounds of public safety if it's significant.

f**k snow.

Starting to think that myself. Our game against Thistle's under 20s has already been postponed because of a waterlogged pitch this week and the forecast is for snow. Our carpark is a b*****d to clear, so the police will likely call it off on grounds of public safety if it's significant.

f**k snow.

Never understood the police "public safety" call offs. How come it's safe for other businesses to open in the vicinity of mcdiarmid?

Archived