St Johnstone vs Partick Thistle

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a negative second half. O'Halloran off for McDonald is one of the worst subs ive ever seen us make, utterly infuriating since the Thistle defence was started to buckle.

Thistle really are utterly toothless though. Never looked like scoring

I've never seen a referee look so scared to use his whistle. He missed so much. :lol:

Easy win in the end, I'd just wish we'd defend a bit further up the pitch, we sit too deep and just invite pressure, not that Partick Thistle ever really looked like scoring when they were in possession.

Ohh and I wouldn't want to be Michael O'Halloran right now. Wright was raging about his reaction to being subbed. Whilst it was the wrong decision. You don't react like that.

4 Observations:

1. That was typical saints of the last few years. Grit, determination and a lot of hard work won us that game

2. Great to see Scott Brown back and he remains an excellent player.

3. Easton's goal line clearance was glorious. Absolutely glorious. Celebrated it like a goal

4. O'Halloran is one of the most stupid players I have ever seen. Really talented yet such an idiot sometimes. Not just talking about his reaction to being subbed but that's a part of it.

It's games like this that piss you off being a Thistle fan this season.

All the hype about players being up for it and wanting to got for top 6, then the team doesn't even bothering showing up and give away soft as shit goals.

I doubt St J will collect an easier 3 points this season. Everything good about the United game almost forgotten.

For me again Archie has picked the wrong team. McDaid did OK against DU but Higgy is a far better player, also Frans is colossally better than Balatoni.

Picking the best players is given ffs.

Maybe it's the rage of bothering coming to the game expecting more but the team are only occasionally performing which isn't good enough.

He's fully exempt from criticism on WAT because he's a legend but he's a fucking douche at times. His brand of sideways football, shite excuses and under performing players is pissing me off.

Rant over.

Felt like a re run of the Motherwell game. Not a huge amount wrong with the overall performance other than being far too passive and not looking like scoring. Shame that's the point of the game.

IMO Gallacher was slow getting down to the 1st even with the deflection. Good save from the header though. Don't know who's man it was for the 2nd. Eccleston should've scored but it was an excellent interception from Easton. Keenan started poorly and came into it again but overall he won't do, no point in coming into a game when we're already down. Bannigan in the 2nd half is more of what I'd expect of him but he doesn't do it enough. Stevo worked hard and was unlucky with his shot. No real complaints. Saints took their 2 chances, we didn't take anything.

St. Johnstone are a very efficient team, not maybe the easiest on the eye but resolute and organised. I'd love to play a bit more like them.

I thought the ref was good today, mainly coz he seemed to give us everything.

Our run of not getting consecutive results continues!

Thistle were basically the same as they were in the game at Firhill, neat and tidy but never looked like scoring. Based on the performances they've put in against us I'd expect them to be lower down the table. Don't know if we've just got their number, or what.

Would agree O'Halloran is incredibly stupid. Talented, but a mind cripple. Couldn't care less about his reaction to being subbed, I'm talking about his choice of runs, decision making, etc.

The really irritating thing about O'Hallorans reaction was that was probably because Wright wants him to play all three games in six days. Not surprising O'Halloran didn't realise though.

Comfortable if unspectacular three points. I'm constantly amazed at the number of teams that come to mcdiarmid and just knock the ball about in front of us; it suits this team to a tee.

A solid defensive display. Apart from that, we were pretty poor once again and fortunate to be playing an insipid Thistle side. Anderson was the stand-out with a very well-taken header and Easton deserves credit for an excellent block on the line. Wright continued his consistent form and Mackay mainly did well, scoring a deflected goal in the process. Mannus wasn't tested very much, but was sharp when required and pulled off a very good save near the end of the match.

At the other end of the pitch, our attacking force was OK but not quite at the level I'd expect. MacLean is getting back to his best, but he's still lacking a bit of sharpness. O'Halloran was our most dangerous threat in an attacking sense, but he lacks a footballing brain. The clearest evidence of this was when he decided to take a 'quick corner' when MacLean was the only other Saints player in the opposition half. A bizarre decision which ruined any chance we had of gaining an advantage from the situation. I thought that Tommy's decision to replace him with MacDonald was a strange one, as there were a few players who weren't performing as well as him, but the manager's decision to send O'Halloran down the tunnel was a correct one after his hissy fit.

Our midfield was really lacking creativity once again today. Lappin had another poor performance, the majority of his passes going nowhere near his intended targets. Wotherspoon put in a lot of effort (he was close to collapsing by about the 75th minute) but he didn't provide his usual worthwhile contribution. Scott Brown, as far as I'm concerned, made very little impression throughout the match and we really missed Millar when he was removed. Caddis started pretty well. After the 15th minute or so, he provided virtually nothing. Maybe he was thinking that he could get away with doing nothing as he had provided two moments of quality earlier on. I don't imagine Lee Croft is quaking in his boots about the possibility of being displaced.

Anyway, fair play to the team for getting 3 points. Most importantly, we've won a match by TWO GOALS for the first time since May 17.

Happy enough at the result today. Performance was good considering pitch conditions. Don't agree with Tommy that Caddis did well. His header was excellent, a cracking leap. But the rest of his performance for me was below what I'd want/expect. 3 points though in my first trip through for a couple of months so happy enough this evening.

You and I watched different games regarding Scott Brown today TRS. He's was excellent as far as I'm concerned. He's not like Chris Millar in his play, he doesn't drive forward, but he does tackle more. He was sharp and in and around the Partick players and for the majority he kept it simple and recycled possession under pressure. He's a cracking player and should play more as far as I'm concerned.

Archived