St Johnstone vs Partick Thistle

For once I was right about Thistle losing! Saintees 2 Thistle 0! Get it right up them!

Please kindly f**k off back to your diddy league and take your sorry attempt at trolling or whatever this is with you. Much appreciated.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not the prettiest affair but an important win for us as it creates a big gap over Thistle and extends the advantage over Killie and Dundee, even if the latter got a very impressive result up north. Was actually similar to at least a couple of other meetings between the sides over the last couple of seasons with Saints scoring early then not really taking the initiative.

Despite maybe only one change from what would have been a predictable team selection, I thought we looked uncomfortable for much of the first half but Thistle failed to really take advantage of it. We appeared a bit better organised at least after the break but Thistle were barely even jabbing at our defence despite their possession at times, never mind striking a proper blow.

Would pick Wotherspoon as our best player, which isn't something I say too often. Thought he was involved in a lot of the decent stuff in the first half but what impressed me more was the way he set the tone with his effort in the latter stages, a real show of defending from the front on what looked a heavy pitch. It'll now be interesting to see what the manager does for Tuesday when you take that into account.

Easy three points, good, solid performance.

Random, is that you that sits down the front with your old man and a dodgy barnet? Your seethe at the linesman was the highlight of the day if so. Some boy.

Yeah, my hair goes a bit mental in the Winter time, might cut it in the Summer.

Also...

Alan Mannus clean sheet today for @St_Johnstone_FC is his 42nd from 129 starts.

I've fucking given up on this team.

We spent about a decade in the First Division - with a quick trip to the Second for a season - but a poor loss to St. Johnstone as we sit 9th our second Premiership season has caused you to give up?

I'm not accepting bottom six is the best we're going to get, and Archie isn't immune to criticism for me, but f**k sake. We're an alright team.

I'm just jealous of the luscious locks tbh. :wub:

Luscious?! Not sure you have the right person :lol: I hate to think what it looks like from behind (naughty) tbh

Also did I overuse "useless c**t" today? Became a bit self-aware of using it while my dad was cracking out the specsavers ones. I'm open to suggestions for the next linesman/ opposition player.

Luscious?! Not sure you have the right person :lol: I hate to think what it looks like from behind (naughty) tbh

Also did I overuse "useless c**t" today? Became a bit self-aware of using it while my dad was cracking out the specsavers ones. I'm open to suggestions for the next linesman/ opposition player.

Wish I could sit nearer the linesman. I'd love to change my angle of abuse. As it is all I ever get to do is abuse the referee, which today didn't happen as much, I was laughing maniacally at most things he did. :lol:

We spent about a decade in the First Division - with a quick trip to the Second for a season - but a poor loss to St. Johnstone as we sit 9th our second Premiership season has caused you to give up?

I'm not accepting bottom six is the best we're going to get, and Archie isn't immune to criticism for me, but f**k sake. We're an alright team.

The highlighted bit is the problem for me.

We are an OK team but we just only show it on certain occasions and it's massively frustrating.

Today was a low point for me. There was no desire to get in about St Johnstone and get back into the game.

Stevenson and Eccelston aside the rest were going through the motions. They looked like they didn't give a shit if we lost or not.

You and I watched different games regarding Scott Brown today TRS. He's was excellent as far as I'm concerned. He's not like Chris Millar in his play, he doesn't drive forward, but he does tackle more. He was sharp and in and around the Partick players and for the majority he kept it simple and recycled possession under pressure. He's a cracking player and should play more as far as I'm concerned.

Meh. I wouldn't say that anybody was 'excellent' today. I don't even recall Scott Brown having too much of the ball. I do like him as a player but, as far as I'm concerned, I don't want to see him in the XI unless he is playing beside a central midfielder who is capable of driving forward. Chris Millar, as you say, is able to provide this quality. The 4-3-1-2 formation didn't quite work in my eyes, and the midfield unit as a whole wasn't doing much.

RG is the ultimate East Stand seether.

Nah thats still Ghostie. You can hear his bellows from Strathtay Road

Wish I could sit nearer the linesman. I'd love to change my angle of abuse. As it is all I ever get to do is abuse the referee, which today didn't happen as much, I was laughing maniacally at most things he did. :lol:

Yeah you should try it some time

I think of all the adjectives used to describe us so far, "insipid" is my favourite. I'd have gone for "impotent", only because "passpasspasspasspasspasspasspasspasspasspasslosetheball25yardsoutwhensomeoneactuallytriestodosomething" isn't a valid adjective.

Their first goal was remarkably similar to their goal the last time we played there, about a million chances to clear, take none of them, and massive deflection sneaks in at the near post. My mate though Gallacher should have saved it but I'd need to see it again - there was a camera behind the goal so that should help.Never nice to lose a goal from a set piece but I'm pretty sure we're in credit this season on that score.

Second half was as limp an attacking performance as anyone could muster- only really Stevenson and Higginbotham were willing to take their players on and they lost it 90 and 100% of the time respectively when they did. We never seem to have many players in the box, and we spent most of the second half shuttling the ball back and forth in front of their back 4- who are an excellent unit at this level and needed something different to test them.

Stevenson would be about the only one to get pass marks, McDaid is maybe better than I thought but as yet isn't confident enough to take defenders at this level on. Higgy wasn't afraid to try things at least but by god he was awful, and Doolan might have been better playing in football boots rather than Adidas Sambas. If Eccleston has a future here I'd play him on Wednesday, he deserves a chance- he should obviously have scored but credit to Easton for getting back.

Said yesterday we're not out the relegation fight and the next 3 games against Hamilton, Killie, and St Mirren are probably going to determine whether we're going to be fighting relegation or reasonably comfortable. If I hear one more player say "top 6" this season I'll go Bob Hoskins in a dustbin levels of mental.

Good 3 points for us, but fairly brutal viewing to be fair. We are a very resolute, hard working team but we could have done far more in the second half.

I thought Scott Brown did really well. He was always trying to take an extra touch to find a pass and keep possession rather than just help the ball on. I went for Spoony as Man Of the Match on WAP, he was our most creative player, geting the ball down and twisting away from players and trying to link up with strikers.

Lappin is a mystery to me, promises so much and yet gives the ball away just about every time he tries to find a pass.

Our defence is immense, there isnt a lot of playing the ball out from the back, but its as solid a CB pairing as you'll find in this league.

Sure the Thistle fans dont need me to say what they already know; they really knock the ball around well in midfield but have very little sting up front. Saints were happy to let them have possession in front of us, and they rarely looked like getting in behind.

That referee and linesman though..??!!! Thistle would have scored if it wasnt for Brian Easton's heroic goal line clearance. Their gk rolled the ball in front of himself and passed it out while it was moving, while the referee was running to the centre circle with his back to play.. he would get slaughtered at boys club football for something like that. Wonder if sportscene will pick it up??

How was your Dads eye(s)?

No issues today, thanks for asking! He should be getting surgery for it at some point this week, so that will hopefully be the end of the problem. The PRI staff said they had never seen anything like it before. The worst case scenario, I dread to imagine, is that he'll end up becoming an elderly version of Dean Shiels.

I think of all the adjectives used to describe us so far, "insipid" is my favourite.

Cheers mate, you've made the right choice. I am very eloquent and I have a Masters degree in English and Creative Writing.

Good 3 points for us, but fairly brutal viewing to be fair. We are a very resolute, hard working team but we could have done far more in the second half.

I thought Scott Brown did really well. He was always trying to take an extra touch to find a pass and keep possession rather than just help the ball on. I went for Spoony as Man Of the Match on WAP, he was our most creative player, geting the ball down and twisting away from players and trying to link up with strikers.

Lappin is a mystery to me, promises so much and yet gives the ball away just about every time he tries to find a pass.

Our defence is immense, there isnt a lot of playing the ball out from the back, but its as solid a CB pairing as you'll find in this league.

Sure the Thistle fans dont need me to say what they already know; they really knock the ball around well in midfield but have very little sting up front. Saints were happy to let them have possession in front of us, and they rarely looked like getting in behind.

That referee and linesman though..??!!! Thistle would have scored if it wasnt for Brian Easton's heroic goal line clearance. Their gk rolled the ball in front of himself and passed it out while it was moving, while the referee was running to the centre circle with his back to play.. he would get slaughtered at boys club football for something like that. Wonder if sportscene will pick it up??

Eccelstone looked a mile offside aswell. I think it was the same player who was standing yards offside literally two feet in front of the linesman, and still never got called offside when he got passed to. One of worst linesmen I've ever seen, looked shit scared.

Hope this gets called off at half time tbh

I fucking wish.

Nice and comfy.

HANDBALL!!!

:lol:

That was really, really, really awful. Worst I've seen us this season. First save the opposition goalkeeper made was in the last minute from a 35-yard shot, and Eccleston really should have finished his chance with his right foot but a "lack of match sharpness" can be his chosen alibi. I think it was Keenan (or maybe even Seabourne - they both have shite haircuts) who deflected the ball in for the first, but that wasn't really his fault. Balatoni lost his man for the second, but I'm unsure if he should have started. I'm going to give the benefit of the doubt and say Frans wasn't 100%. V poor.

Spare me the history lesson, mate.

I'll be at Firhill and Kilmarnock next week, but I mean I've given up hope with this particular Thistle side. You're correct when you say we're an 'alright' team - that's what makes it so infuriating. We're capable of so much better.

We're underachieving badly due to a combination of incompetent management and under-achieving players. To go over a season and a half without recording back-to-back wins is scandalous.

Whilst I've never really believed or expected a top six finish, I don't think it's unfair to say that we could and probably should have a much more comfortable gap between us and the bottom three.

Our next three games are absolutely huge. This is our chance to pull away and ensure a relaxed finish to the season or allow ourselves to be dragged further into trouble.

Slithering over the line in tenth place was perfectly acceptable last season, but we should be achieving much more when you look at the quality we have in our squad and at how poor the teams in the bottom six are.

Archived