Better Call Saul

The Real Saints

I enjoyed that unlike in El Camino, when the last flashback of Walt and Jesse is a reminder of better times and a bit poignant with Walt being the father figure to Jesse that he was earlier on in the series, the very last scene we ever see Walter White in summarises how much of a horrible b*****d he'd descended into by the time he had to be extracted. 

The scene with Saul was excruciating. 

6 hours ago, Clown Job said:

Saul Goodman could have gotten him a real good deal but in the end he decided to go down as Jimmy 

Loved it 

This.

(Although part of me wanted the 7-year trade-off option to be the outcome to set up a Going Straight-type sequel with Saul as the Norman Stanley Fletcher fish out of water character...)

7 hours ago, Clown Job said:

Saul Goodman could have gotten him a real good deal but in the end he decided to go down as Jimmy 

Loved it 

Yeah I enjoyed the role reversal of Oakley becoming the incompetent defence and Saul becoming the powerful state prosecutor almost. Ultimately Saul Goodman was proven to be the best lawyer, the only one who could send himself down for any length of time, everyone else let Slippin' Jimmy talk himself out of things again! 

Great ending. Great show.

Agree that it was fitting that our last ever (presumably) glimpse of Walter White was him being an absolute p***k. I also enjoyed Saul’s answers to the time machine stuff showing how utterly shallow a character Saul was, before we get the redemption and a bit of humanity return to him as Jimmy.

This is very petty, and I get that Marie will be biased and that, but her monologue about Hank annoyed me. The guy was a fanny.

In terms of further spinoffs, I’m torn. I’d like more stuff because all of it as quality, but at the same time I don’t actually know if it needs it. 

Jesse in hiding in Alaska might be fun. Would still prefer a Young Mike series, and I wonder if his reference to taking a bribe in 1984 might have been a hint towards it. Maybe we could have another Jesse film.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

I thought that was less underwhelming than the BB finale, but once again I'd say the best episodes came earlier in the series. It was merely ... very very good, rather than blowing me away. I don't mean that as an underhanded criticism - there was lots to like about it, they didn't spoil anything, it was a good way to end it.

Been outstanding, overall. If there was still a debate before this year as to which of the two series was better, this last season has settled it decisively, surely. 

I think another spin-off would be a bad idea, notwithstanding that I originally thought this one was a bad idea too.

I think BB was marginally better overall due to the faster pace of the story over the whole show, rather than the pace of BCS only picking up around series 4, you often read about people giving up on BCS after series 1 or 2, and you don't really see that with BB (well I don't).  So BB edges it for me, but two utterly brilliant show, two of the greatest of all time without any doubt whatsoever.

What I really liked about that Walter White scene was the fact that, although he was exactly the same Walter White who we saw in Breaking Bad, he seems considerably more psychotic/frightening in the context of a more measured show where he isn't the protagonist. We really got desensitised to him during those BB days. Excellent writing.

Edited by The Real Saints

As for the finale in general, I enjoyed it up until the courtroom scene which I found a tad predictable and the dialogue a bit schmaltzy/uncharacteristically lacking in subtlety. It didn't hit me emotionally, whereas the opening scene with Mike did. But maybe the series had earned that and I'll end up enjoying it more on second viewing. A satisfying end plot-wise, no doubt, and one which makes perfect sense.

Edited by The Real Saints

I’m still trying to work out why, when Jimmy and Kim were having their cigarette in the jail at the end, the lit end of the cigarette was in colour. It’s possibly obvious to some of you sleuths, but I still can’t work it out. Small point in a fantastic series. Simply fantastic. 

1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

I’m still trying to work out why, when Jimmy and Kim were having their cigarette in the jail at the end, the lit end of the cigarette was in colour. It’s possibly obvious to some of you sleuths, but I still can’t work it out. Small point in a fantastic series. Simply fantastic. 

Just a subtle return to Gene/Saul being Jimmy again. I was expecting them to go full colour once Jimmy and Kim reconnected with the eye contact in the courtroom after she could see he was finally admitting to his wrong doing. But I'm glad they went with the more subtle fag end, it was always symbolic of the quality time they spent together through the years.  

Edited by Christophe

On 17/08/2022 at 13:32, The Real Saints said:

As for the finale in general, I enjoyed it up until the courtroom scene which I found a tad predictable and the dialogue a bit schmaltzy/uncharacteristically lacking in subtlety. It didn't hit me emotionally, whereas the opening scene with Mike did. But maybe the series had earned that and I'll end up enjoying it more on second viewing. A satisfying end plot-wise, no doubt, and one which makes perfect sense.

Somewhat predictably, I've just re-watched it and totally changed my mind. Perfectly sculpted.

On 17/08/2022 at 21:51, Christophe said:

Just a subtle return to Gene/Saul being Jimmy again. I was expecting them to go full colour once Jimmy and Kim reconnected with the eye contact in the courtroom after she could see he was finally admitting to his wrong doing. But I'm glad they went with the more subtle fag end, it was always symbolic of the quality time they spent together through the years.  

I’ve got it. I’ve just started watching BCS again from the start. 30 minutes into the very first show Jimmy and Kim are standing beside each other, leaning against a wall, sharing a cigarette. Exactly the same as the last scene in the prison. Brilliant again.

6 hours ago, kingjoey said:

I’ve got it. I’ve just started watching BCS again from the start. 30 minutes into the very first show Jimmy and Kim are standing beside each other, leaning against a wall, sharing a cigarette. Exactly the same as the last scene in the prison. Brilliant again.

Rewatched that episode today as well. Opening scene has Gene watching the Saul tapes with the reflection of the screen in colour in his specs. Amazing continuity 

Just now, Christophe said:

Rewatched that episode today as well. Opening scene has Gene watching the Saul tapes with the reflection of the screen in colour in his specs. Amazing continuity 

I was thinking that as well. I'd no recollection that that's how the first episode started.

I've mentioned it previously in this thread, I nearly gave up after the first couple of seasons, I just couldn't get into it. Gave it another go from the beginning during the original lockdown and was well worth it. An absolutely amazing piece of television. Despite all his wrongdoings I still wanted a happy ending but in reality, it wouldn't have worked and the ending was as perfect as they could've done.

I was gutted when The Sopranos finished and also Breaking Bad and I'd say I probably prefered both as a whole over BCS but I'll miss Jimmy/Saul/Gene as a character more than I'd miss the main characters from these other shows. 

Also gutted that I will have no more Mike in my life, perhaps one of the best side characters of all time, up there with Silvio Dante 

I've just rewatched all of BCS.

Some have said they gave up watching because series 1-3 were too slow but anyone who has watched the whole story can see those were necessary to convey the transition from Slippin' Jimmy to a guy who idolised his brother and wanted his approval to the morally corrupt "criminal" lawyer.

Interwoven was the back stories of Mike (JB's acting in Five-O was magnificent), Fring and the Salamancas.

Loads of call backs to BB; how did I miss, first time around, when Jimmy is in the tailor's buying clothes for his billboard stunt, Fring's shirt and tie combo is on a mannequin high up on a shelf? Loads of cameos from Hank, Crazy-8, Emilio, Spoodge, Wendy, Ken etc.

Some of the other great dramas have bits which are easily skipped upon a rewatch (for example in The Sopranos, Carmella's affairs and Meadow's Uni days; The Wire has McNulty's marital issues; BB has almost every scene where Skyler and Marie are together) but BCS is engrossing from start to finish.

I opted to wait until all of the last season was out before I watched it.  That took some doing.  Some shows I like to watch weekly and guess whats going to happen.  But if I mind right all of saul aside from the last season was put out in one go.  Or am I wrong?