Better Call Saul

The Real Saints

Two episodes in, a disappointing start to the season so far. Too much incoherence and lack of direction / scattered storyline. I think it's trying too hard.

The scene in the nerd's car at the police parking lot for instance was a lazy deus ex machina, and wholly unrealistic in how the scene unfolded thereafter. The police station interview scene was reasonably clever, but again lazy and an in-your-face solution. No nuance or subtlety.

I'm not feeling the sympathetic human study that really made he first season shine.

The first couple of episodes have indeed been a lot slower but they're going to be building up the fact that Saul's life is pretty great at the moment just so it'll be more impactful for when he pisses it away. I've found it ok and not as exciting as the first two episodes of the last series but I have faith it'll quickly pick up.

They seemed to get the wanky direction out their system in the opening scene, which is nice cos I find that distracting. Not really much happening, but it's still quite absorbing. I watched the first 3 eps in one sitting.

Was kinda hoping the guy Mike was meeting at the end was gonna be Gus, suppose they can't have too make BB references in the show.

Wonder if this is where Jimmy gets sacked from Davis & Main at starts his own firm under Saul Goodman?

I thought the third episode was really good. Did everyone pick up on the nod to Breaking Bad?

The pig toy that Mike's granddaughter is playing with near the start of the episode is the same one that he ties to Chow's door before sneaking round the back to shoot the guy Lydia had hired to kill all of Mike's guys in season 5.

It's wee things like that that make BCS enjoyable for me.

Another good one, it really is a slow burner this season, but it is still gripping stuff nonetheless, excellent Mike-centric episode which perhaps shows why he is the most interesting character on the show, he has so much depth and gravitas I think it was a shame the way he went out in BB, but then perhaps that was the whole idea!!!

Good to see Tuco again, he's such a bad b*****d, it's always going to kick off in some way when he's on screen!!!

Also another couple of BB characters turning up really ties it into the continuity, think the return of Crazy 8 could tie into an appearance of Jesse later on perhaps, and Bobby from Supernatural is just a cool presence!!!

Another strong episode which really moved the story along very nicely without appearing to do very much, if/when something is going to go off it will be such a surprise as it would go against the flow of the show so much it will probably have such a bigger effect!!!

I really liked today's. It was certainly a far better episode whenever Mike was on screen as Saul's journey didn't really progress, in my opinion, but seeing more of Mike and the extents he's willing to go (we did see some of that in BB) to get the job done was great viewing.

I thought they perhaps slightly alluded to how Jimmy becomes Saul during his chat with Chuck where he offered to stop practising law to help Kim. There'll obviously be far more to it but I definitely had a "light bulb" moment when watching that scene.

I let out a fanboy "HA!" and pointed at the screen when Crazy 8 appeared; they even had him in a Tampico van, the family business that he discussed with Walt when he was tied up in the basement.

Looking forward to the stage where Jimmy/Saul's story arc is similarly as dark as Mike's.

Whilst the Mike stuff is a good distraction to have, all the intrigue is still with Jimmy for me. The only real progress in his story in ep 4 was the conversation with Chuck mentioned above, which does suggest it could be very relevant and they didn't want it missed in a Jimmy-heavy episode.

Mike is the man but we know his back story from season one and the character we see now is pretty much the same one we see in Breaking Bad. That's why I find the Jimmy stuff more interesting as by the time Walt comes on the scene, he's clearly cut all ties with Kim and Chuck, presuming he's still alive.

Has season three been commissioned yet?

As of four days ago - no. Gilligan doesn't know how long he wants to play it out.

Odenkirk has said there's zero chance of Cranston (Walter) appearing, but Paul (Jesse) has said he's 100% up for it, has held discussions about it and may even have shit the scenes.

The hardest part of the timeframe would be keeping Mike's story going. It'd be fairly simple to drag Saul's story out, IMO.

Maybe he'll get his own spinoff when this is all finished!!!

Better Call Mike - The Adventures of a Grumpy (but nails) Old b*****d!!!

I just rewatched "Five-O" from season 1 which was the main Mike centric episode. I think I might have said it at the time but the final scene in that episode is flawless and for my money anyway, might be the best scene across both Breaking Bad and BCS.