Better Call Saul

The Real Saints

That was an absolute gut punch in the last minutes. I'll admit I was taken hook line and sinker by his speech and thought he was being sincere. Which was masterful as it was the entire point of the episode. 

That last camera shot with Kim left stranded and isolated just looking totally broken at what's transpired was beautiful as well. Next season is all about her out plan and I find myself genuinely hoping she gets out alive. 

The Jimmy/Kim getting together / breaking up has been one of the best relationships I've ever seen acted out. I find it hard to buy them as a couple, but the way their relationship is slowly breaking down is just magical acting.

Did Lalo appear in BB? I know Saul mentioned him in one episode but dis he actually appear? Seems like a ledge and a step above the other cartel boys.

18 hours ago, Stevieda said:

The Jimmy/Kim getting together / breaking up has been one of the best relationships I've ever seen acted out. I find it hard to buy them as a couple, but the way their relationship is slowly breaking down is just magical acting.

Did Lalo appear in BB? I know Saul mentioned him in one episode but dis he actually appear? Seems like a ledge and a step above the other cartel boys.

No, just mentioned by Saul as you said.

Much improved season in style and interesting/satisfying self-contained scenes. Chuck gone is a huge weight off the shoulders of the series.

Mike's storyline was stretched just a bit far, that chase episode was contrived as f**k. Great seeing his relationship with Gus grow, though.

The scam episode getting the boy off for assault was superb, as was the whole 'Jimmy trying to survive the year' thing, ducking and diving.

Hope this is the last season coming, and that there's some spectacular demise of Kim / her relationship with Jimmy. Some sightings of Jesse and Walter wouldn't go amiss either.

13 hours ago, banana said:

Much improved season in style and interesting/satisfying self-contained scenes. Chuck gone is a huge weight off the shoulders of the series.

Mike's storyline was stretched just a bit far, that chase episode was contrived as f**k. Great seeing his relationship with Gus grow, though.

The scam episode getting the boy off for assault was superb, as was the whole 'Jimmy trying to survive the year' thing, ducking and diving.

Hope this is the last season coming, and that there's some spectacular demise of Kim / her relationship with Jimmy. Some sightings of Jesse and Walter wouldn't go amiss either.

I was saying to the wife the other night, even a kind of 'easter egg' like seeing Walter's green car in a car park or something subtle like that would be great.

Of course, I want the final scene of BCS to be Walter and Jesse going into Saul's office for the first time.  But I think that's pushing it a bit.

38 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

I was saying to the wife the other night, even a kind of 'easter egg' like seeing Walter's green car in a car park or something subtle like that would be great.

Of course, I want the final scene of BCS to be Walter and Jesse going into Saul's office for the first time.  But I think that's pushing it a bit.

Yeah, even that, or them in a background scene, or being mentioned if not by name then by some reference.

Jimmy's speech and then subsequent turn (and the devestation on Kim's face) were excellent, but the Mike and Werner scene was even better. The final shot (pun intended) of that scene was both glorious and heartbreaking. Possibly the best scene of the entire programme so far, and it's a fucking amazing programme.

Still not as good as Breaking Bad, mind. Nothing is.

There's nothing to say Kim isn't still around in some capacity during BB, so will be interesting to see how this progresses. Her reaction at the end does seem to confirm this is the begining of the end though.

Am I right in thinking the next series will be the last? If so will they resolve the Gene story line post BB? 

Think they're in 2004 at the end of season 4?  So in theory they still have 4 years they can play with before BB starts in 2008.

Not to say there's going to be another 4 seasons but there's still a time gap they can squeeze a season or two into.

22 hours ago, TheScarf said:

I've always said for me, that's the only way it can end. 

Hank must be due to show up in some capacity next season. 

• 1 month later...
That was an absolute gut punch in the last minutes. I'll admit I was taken hook line and sinker by his speech and thought he was being sincere. Which was masterful as it was the entire point of the episode. 

That last camera shot with Kim left stranded and isolated just looking totally broken at what's transpired was beautiful as well. Next season is all about her out plan and I find myself genuinely hoping she gets out alive. 

I'm sure she will/does!!!

There was a scene a few episodes ago of a flashforward to just before Saul legs it for a new identity and life, he is knocking a hole in his office wall and Francesca is shredding documents, just as Francesca goes to leave and Saul asks her to chuck the bin bags of documents in the dumpster, he says "if you ever need a lawyer call this number" and gives her a business card!!!

That's got to be Kim's!!!

• 2 months later...

Decided to start watching this having just completed watching the stunning Breaking Bad - it seemed like the natural progression, and I had a pretty burning desire to learn more of this world and the characters within. 

Unfortunately, what I seem to have been watching thus far can only be described as a complete and utter crock of shite. 

The standout performer in Breaking Bad - a certain roustabout Government agent in Hank Schrader, played by Dean Norris - appears to have been bombed out. Perhaps he has been deemed too "everyman" for this art-house vanity project.

What on Earth was Vince Gilligan thinking? Perhaps the brilliance of Breaking Bad was despite his flagrant incompetence and not because of any perceived directorial mastery.

Having worked my way through, I found myself threatening to fall into possibly even enjoying the show, with the affable character of Werner Ziegler in particular capturing my imagination. However - in true Gilligan style - Werner was needlessly killed, in a "twist" as disappointing as it was tragically foreseeable. What Better Call Saul delivers is some sort of pseudo-improvement on Breaking Bad, where the pace of a snail and snooty cinematography fools simpler audiences into being wooed by a direly lacking product.