F1 2015

deano67

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's all about the money with Bernie. Until those numbers decline and his pockets get hurt not much will change.

It always has been about the money - that's why we have pay-TV deals and are going to ridiculous places like Bahrain and Azerbaijan (or somewhere else in that general reason) while ditching Germany having already binned France.

Australia was indeed pish but i'm not sure it's all bad yet. Give it to maybe Barcelona and hopefully McLaren will have sorted themselves out a wee bit, there will be 20 cars on the grid and it'll be really competitive behind the Mercs.

Still wish Ecclestone would beat it though.

Australia was indeed pish but i'm not sure it's all bad yet. Give it to maybe Barcelona and hopefully McLaren will have sorted themselves out a wee bit, there will be 20 cars on the grid and it'll be really competitive behind the Mercs.

Still wish Ecclestone would beat it though.

That's not going to happen.

Is it really all the fault of Ecclestone though? Given that Red Bull's response has been a flouncing, tear-stained threat to leave the sport after a single race, alongside the previous demeanours of Ferrari etc., it's not clear that the teams actually have many good ideas to improve the sport if Ecclestone keeled over tomorrow.

Seems to me that Bernie is similar to Doncaster in the SPFL: an easy and therefore very useful scapegoat, behind which the powerful competitors can look after their own interests and deflect any criticism.

It should definitely be removed from pay TV, but you can't logically, deliberately handicap a dominant package after allowing the Schumacher era.

Is it really all the fault of Ecclestone though? Given that Red Bull's response has been a flouncing, tear-stained threat to leave the sport after a single race, alongside the previous demeanours of Ferrari etc., it's not clear that the teams actually have many good ideas to improve the sport if Ecclestone keeled over tomorrow.

Seems to me that Bernie is similar to Doncaster in the SPFL: an easy and therefore very useful scapegoat, behind which the powerful competitors can look after their own interests and deflect any criticism.

It should definitely be removed from pay TV, but you can't logically, deliberately handicap a dominant package after allowing the Schumacher era.

I'd be pretty pissed off if I was Red Bull particularly after the numerous things the FIA handicapped that they had came up with. Also, strength testing their wings three or four times with more weight than was originally stated, yet the FIA won't change engine regulations now?

Red-Bull should be pissed: with Renault, the diddy outfit that they unwisely chose not only to make last year's rubbish engine, but this year's as well. There's no credible reason to change engine regulations - Mercedes have fitted all of the brief, and given that the Ferraris are competitive with customer Mercedes teams, it can't just be the engine explaining their performance.

Red Bull had their position at the top of the development ladder and I don't recall them supporting moves to even the playing field then; it happened, but Red Bull's outrage now is straight-forward hypocrisy.

Red-Bull should be pissed: with Renault, the diddy outfit that they unwisely chose not only to make last year's rubbish engine, but this year's as well. There's no credible reason to change engine regulations - Mercedes have fitted all of the brief, and given that the Ferraris are competitive with customer Mercedes teams, it can't just be the engine explaining their performance.

Red Bull had their position at the top of the development ladder and I don't recall them supporting moves to even the playing field then; it happened, but Red Bull's outrage now is straight-forward hypocrisy.

Completely agree. Mercedes had a shit 2013 season and concentrated on producing the best engine possible for the new regs last year. If more teams had spent the proper amount of time developing the new engines then they wouldn't be having this hissy fit.

The actual racing side of it isn't his fault. I don't really have an issue with it. Teams dominate, it happens. Red Bull hilariously claiming today that they didn't dominate like Mercedes did. Suppose they're right - with Mercedes the drivers are capable of battling with each other, while at Red Bull it was always a Vettel walkover.

The FIA should be doing far more on the PR side than they are. Last year they should have been shouting about how the cars were hybrid instead of letting folk whine about them being shit engines that make sod all noise.

What is the fault of Ecclestone and the investment bankers he sold half of the sport to is going to crap tracks in front of sod all fans while the traditional venues, like the places that invented the sport, are ignored. It's insane that Germany won't have a race when Mercedes are doing so well with a German driver and a German driver recently won four titles in a row!

It's also their fault the financial model of the sport is so screwed which is a contributory factory (although not the sole reason) Marussia and Caterham were fecked and we have so many pay drivers of varying quality.

Good analogy. There is a similarity between F1 and the SPL/SPFL. Both were led by committee and both seem to bow to the self interest of those involved rather than the good of the sport.

F1 needs a single guy who who focuses on the entertainment and drives it forward no matter what- bit like Bernie used to be!

Hypocrisy? You bet, but no different than any other team in F1 and others have been guilty of the same stuff for years. Part of the game and if I was Red Bull, I'd be whinging too. I suspect Renault are getting both barrels too.

There is one point that with Red Bull winning we saw a lot of focus on rules about double diffusers, throttle output, flexible wings, all changed and tightened to haul back the pack into contention. Maybe my memory but there hasn't been a hell of a lot this time round?

I saw an article which tried to explain Mercedes advantage. The believe it to be aero in slow to medium speed corners and something to do with traction from engine output. Unsure as to whether there might be an advantage in engines over customer Mercedes.

The actual racing side of it isn't his fault. I don't really have an issue with it. Teams dominate, it happens. Red Bull hilariously claiming today that they didn't dominate like Mercedes did. Suppose they're right - with Mercedes the drivers are capable of battling with each other, while at Red Bull it was always a Vettel walkover.

The FIA should be doing far more on the PR side than they are. Last year they should have been shouting about how the cars were hybrid instead of letting folk whine about them being shit engines that make sod all noise.

What is the fault of Ecclestone and the investment bankers he sold half of the sport to is going to crap tracks in front of sod all fans while the traditional venues, like the places that invented the sport, are ignored. It's insane that Germany won't have a race when Mercedes are doing so well with a German driver and a German driver recently won four titles in a row!

It's also their fault the financial model of the sport is so screwed which is a contributory factory (although not the sole reason) Marussia and Caterham were fecked and we have so many pay drivers of varying quality.

Had this argument in work. Actually I think Red Bull are right when you look back. People say they won 4 in a row or dominated for 4 years. They were the leading team in that period but they never dominated all the time and not to a margin like the Mercedes.

Lets not forget that Vettel only won titles from Ferrari and Alonso by 3 points and 4 points in 2010 and 2012. It was 2011 and 2013 that they had dominant seasons and won by a large number of points, but even then McLaren and Ferrari won 7 of the 19 races in 2011 and Mercedes and Ferrari won 6 out of 19 races in 2013. Last year Mercedes won all but 3 of 19 races and the pack look nowhere near them this year. Indeed if Mercedes win this season at a canter too, it will be the most dominant a team has really been.

Certainly after a good year, the pack caught the Red Bulls up. With Mercedes that doesn't look like it's happening.

The engine noise I feel is a side issue. If the racing was good- we were seeing brave overtakes, Ferrari battling with Mercedes and Red Bull for wins, people wouldn't focus on it. It's more of an issue at the track than on TV too. Agree about the PR and Financials.

Remember when there needed to be qualify just to qualify to race? When the idea that Germany a major automotive centre would never be without a GP. When we didn't just race around in desert.

To This Alonso testing crash keeps getting more and more bizzare, someone somewhere is telling lies.

Alonso has said that the crash was caused by the steering locking and not as McLaren claim a gust of wind. Also he goes onto say that he did not wake up thinking it was 1995 or speaking Italian as has been widely reported, in fact he says with he can't remember 4 hours in total due to the medication given which knocked him out.

And I see Renault are hitting back at Red Bull over claims....getting rather nasty.

_81967026_09600688-3d9d-43bd-9113-dd0a6e

At the moment sanitary towel wearing Nico Rosberg fastest, Hamilton just scraped into Q3 in 8th before the rain come down. Raikkonen very quick but unlucky to miss out. Clock ticking down. Good quali results for Verstappen, Grosjean and Ericsson.

_81967297_a20764d5-6567-41a8-bd6c-240c12

Qual 3 finished as Hamilton, Vettel, Rosberg, Riccardo, Kvyat, Verstappen, Massa, Grosjean, Bottas and Ericsson.

Verstappen a great effort for 6th.

Hopefully we could see changing conditions tomorrow for the race make a Mercedes win less certain.

Ferrari closer to the Mercedes than two weeks ago, Red Bull there abouts, STR look good, Williams a bit off on wet settings, good effort by Grosjean and PM didn't decide to visit any scenery, Sauber just happy to make Q3, Force India disappointing and both McLaren and Manor still well off the pace.

I think McLaren are going to have to revise that car as soon as possible.

_81968366_maxverstappen.jpg

Max Verstappen has now achieved the highest qualifying position by a teenage driver since Ricardo Rodriguez started 2nd at the Italian GP in 1961

_81968600_formula1.jpg

By qualifying 6th he also equaled his Dad's best ever qualifying position at the Belguim GP in 1984.

Tomorrow, can he be the youngest ever points scorer. It would be an achievement even if back in his Dad's day there were only 6 points position.

The Toro Rosso looks a good enough car to score points so it might be a matter of when rather than if and he has two seasons to do it, Kvyat when at 19 is the current holder of that record.

Good to see Vettel looking a lot happier and back to his best. That Ferrari is starting to look a lot better, so hopefully might just push the Mercedes for the race win tomorrow.

It will be difficult Mercedes quick right from the word go, the rest need to catch up. Red Bull and Williams look like having a lot of work to do.

Archived