Scottish Cup Quarter-Final Draw

Lyle Lanley

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dream case....

Berwick/Spartans at home in QF

Falkirk or QoS in Semi

Celtic in final. (This is on the understanding that we would qualify for Europe if we lost and Celtic win League) Can anyone confirm that if, say, Dundee Utd win the cup beating a Championship side in final and finish 2nd in league then the extra UEFA cup place goes to next best finishers in Premiership but should Celtic win cup (and win league as most would expect) their final opponents (if not already) would qualify for Europe?

Really want to avoid Inverness home or away in QF, probably be beaten and crowd would do little to boost the coffers

Rangers/Spartans anywhere followed by Queens/Falkirk at Starks would be the ties I would be 'confident' about

Now that Rangers are out, who will the BBC show as a televised game!?

Funny you should mention that. I saw the Spartans chairman in the paper the other day saying that it's an exciting time (blah blah blah) because if they win this game (Berwick. It was before the first game) they're guaranteed a television deal. I just wondered what that was all about. I can understand it would be a big deal should they beat Berwick, but I can't say I'd be happy with 'Inverness Vs Spartans' being the featured game, especially considering there is more than likely going to be one cracking draw. A Championship team at home to a Premiership one being the likely case. I wonder if the guy has just got confused and thinks all Quarter final games are televised? Or has he been tipped off that he is guaranteed a TV deal?? ;)

To answer the question though, I can't see past Celtic getting the TV coverage. There isn't one potential fixture there that the media won't be slevvering over them. The only Celtic fixture I can see not being televised is if they get Berwick at home. Spartans however, then they'd no doubt put it on; which would be a farce.

From our point of view I'm excited but in the same breath I'm not looking forward to it today. There's only 3 fixtures I'd be content with. Berwick/Spartans at home or away or Raith at home. Anything else and I'll be pretty disappointed/underwhelmed. Falkirk at home would be one more half decent one at a push. Shocking to be so negative at this stage, but TBH, it's more the fact that we could be stuck with another Championship team again. 4 times a season is boring. A 5th time is brutal. Here's hoping for at least a winnable fixture!

I think you now need to win the cup to qualify for Europe unfortunately.

The cup runners up qualify for Europe if the cup winners have qualified for the Champions League. If the cup winners haven't qualified for the Champions League then it goes to the next side in the league.

So if Celtic win the league and make the Scottish Cup Final, then whoever they meet in the Final will go into Europe.

Only team I'd really want to avoid would be Inverness. Never much atmosphere or crowds when we play them and we'd invariably lose. We'd also lose to Celtic or United but at least we'd get a crowd and decent money for the club.

Ideally though we'd avoid all three and have a tie were we could have a go with Berwick or Spartans at Stark's obviously the most winnable

Funny you should mention that. I saw the Spartans chairman in the paper the other day saying that it's an exciting time (blah blah blah) because if they win this game (Berwick. It was before the first game) they're guaranteed a television deal. I just wondered what that was all about. I can understand it would be a big deal should they beat Berwick, but I can't say I'd be happy with 'Inverness Vs Spartans' being the featured game, especially considering there is more than likely going to be one cracking draw. A Championship team at home to a Premiership one being the likely case. I wonder if the guy has just got confused and thinks all Quarter final games are televised? Or has he been tipped off that he is guaranteed a TV deal?? ;)

To answer the question though, I can't see past Celtic getting the TV coverage. There isn't one potential fixture there that the media won't be slevvering over them. The only Celtic fixture I can see not being televised is if they get Berwick at home. Spartans however, then they'd no doubt put it on; which would be a farce.

From our point of view I'm excited but in the same breath I'm not looking forward to it today. There's only 3 fixtures I'd be content with. Berwick/Spartans at home or away or Raith at home. Anything else and I'll be pretty disappointed/underwhelmed. Falkirk at home would be one more half decent one at a push. Shocking to be so negative at this stage, but TBH, it's more the fact that we could be stuck with another Championship team again. 4 times a season is boring. A 5th time is brutal. Here's hoping for at least a winnable fixture!

I thought it was usually one bbc game and two on sky in the QF? Maybe thats why he was excited although unless they get one of the spl teams i cant see them being broadcast live.

Spartans/Berwick R v Stranraer/Dundee Utd

Inverness CT v Rangers/Raith Rovers (with apologies to Rovers fans, but I want us another go at that lot to show them that our 3-0 win on their patch wasn't a fluke and their scrappy 1-0 win was just us having an off day.) :lol:

Queen of the South v Falkirk

Hibernian v Celtic

Delighted to disappoint you Dave :P

Archived