The 2016 US Presidential Election

Adamski

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apart from a couple of usual blips this was the only speech so far by Trump that I could understand any semi sane person listening to it and deciding to vote for him. He was mainly promoting his new Washington hotel, but still.. Start about 1 hour 17 minutes in, unless you want to see the lovely Ivanka swiveling between teleprompters, in which case a few minutes earlier.

8 hours ago, Zetterlund said:

I heard the audio of that the other day and wasn't sure of the context since I knew Moore was supporting Hitlery. There were even people speculating on the thread that it was a convincing hoax.

As far as I can tell, he was talking from the perspective of The Blows who've decided to vote Trump, not that he believes Trump is the best person to help them but that they think Trump is the best to help them. The rest of the documentary is I think him trying to show why they are wrong.

He's in a sticky place politically as he grew up with and has shouted for these people for decades now, so he understands and empathises with where they are coming from.

On another note, there's some pretty wild state-by-state swings towards Trump happening in some polls now. One has him 50-34 in battleground Florida, ffs! Pennsylvania and Ohio also with some nutty swings.

10 hours ago, banana said:

On another note, there's some pretty wild state-by-state swings towards Trump happening in some polls now. One has him 50-34 in battleground Florida, ffs! Pennsylvania and Ohio also with some nutty swings.

Source?

fivethirtyeight is giving Trump a 29% chance of winning FL, 11% chance of winning PA, and 45% chance of winning OH. Don't think that's changed too much since the last time I looked. In my home state of Michigan, Trump was given less than 10% chance of winning earlier in the week and now it's 10.7% and nationally it looks like his chances have improved by a couple of points, but still in the teens.

Patriarch's for Trump!

http://takimag.com/article/a_woman_should_vote_with_her_husband_gavin_mcinnes#axzz4OIYSVtDQ

"This election is going to have unprecedented political infidelity. A good 20 percent of husbands for Trump predict their wife won’t vote with them. This is wrong for a number of reasons but the biggie is, a family is supposed to be a cohesive unit. He can’t have his better half canceling out his vote."

Unbelievable! :thumbsdown

28 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Patriarch's for Trump!

http://takimag.com/article/a_woman_should_vote_with_her_husband_gavin_mcinnes#axzz4OIYSVtDQ

"This election is going to have unprecedented political infidelity. A good 20 percent of husbands for Trump predict their wife won’t vote with them. This is wrong for a number of reasons but the biggie is, a family is supposed to be a cohesive unit. He can’t have his better half canceling out his vote."

I just read some of the comments. It's getting harder to tell who the trolls are and who the mentalist 'actually believing what they are writing' posters are.

The idea of acting in they way that some of them suggest is ludicrous :lol:

Trump tweeted this exert from Michael Moore earlier today:

Obviously it's created a bit of a "BUT HE GOES ONTO SLATE YOU" reaction from some handwringers but I thought this was a terrific summary of the situation with Trump. The media at the moment are in a frenzy picking up on any lunatic Trump supporter out there, but as I said a few weeks ago the majority of the people who will vote for him next week are not inbred rednecks, they are normal people pissed off with a ruling class deliberately suppressing them and looking after their own interests.

Trump won't win, hell he doesn't deserve to win, but I hope the message from people who are voting for him - that Americans are fed up getting involved in foreign conflicts, fed up with their traditional industries being moed abroad and fed up of political corruption and their ruling class - isn't forgotten.* That so many people are voting for him despite knowing exactly what kind of a person he is shows a remarkable statement to Washington.+

*Spoiler: it will be.

I never thought Trump ever wanted the job of President, he probably knows deep inside he'd be crap at it, and would hate the day to day job, so I assumed he was just doing the campaign because he loves being in the public eye and a chance to get a huge amount of free publicity for his hotels and golf courses. But it seems he might be playing a game that would indicate he's not as thick and egotistical as I thought. He's data mining, getting tens of millions of gullible and angry people to give him their name, address and credit card numbers, and whatever info the Republican Party have. Note, he's made no attempt whatsoever to expand his base, and his hired twitterer, or himself, have sabotaged any possibility of that happening. Warning, it's a lengthy article and you need to read the whole thing for it to make sense.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-10-27/inside-the-trump-bunker-with-12-days-to-go

1 hour ago, Paco said:

Obviously it's created a bit of a "BUT HE GOES ONTO SLATE YOU" reaction from some handwringers but I thought this was a terrific summary of the situation with Trump. The media at the moment are in a frenzy picking up on any lunatic Trump supporter out there, but as I said a few weeks ago the majority of the people who will vote for him next week are not inbred rednecks, they are normal people pissed off with a ruling class deliberately suppressing them and looking after their own interests.

Trump won't win, hell he doesn't deserve to win, but I hope the message from people who are voting for him - that Americans are fed up getting involved in foreign conflicts, fed up with their traditional industries being moed abroad and fed up of political corruption and their ruling class - isn't forgotten.* That so many people are voting for him despite knowing exactly what kind of a person he is shows a remarkable statement to Washington.+

That's a brilliant bit of work by the Trump team . Maybe they've got a new guy doing the twitter account? He might actually get some undecideds out of that. Fired tomorrow.

It just shows how gullible certain elements of the US electorate are - Trump is as much part of the established ruling class as Clinton - he has fooled them in to believing he is an outsider when he is very much on the inside.

It just shows how gullible certain elements of the US electorate are - Trump is as much part of the established ruling class as Clinton - he has fooled them in to believing he is an outsider when he is very much on the inside.

Absolutely this.

There does need to be a bonfire (metaphorical of course) in Washington but trump is part of the problem.

Patriarch's for Trump!

To be fair, you can hardly expect anything less from the head of the "Proud Boys" movement. A man who believes women have been made miserable by the feminist ideology that women can also be breadwinners.

Absolutely this.

There does need to be a bonfire (metaphorical of course) in Washington but trump is part of the problem.

It isn't stretching the point to say that the likes of Trump largely dictate the actions of the perceived political elite. Wall Street trumps (pun intended) Pennsylvania Avenue.

29 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

To be fair I have seen Kellyanne Conway say as much, in a "who would be better to sort it" kind of fashion. Trump didn't shy away from essentially saying he'd bribed politicians in the past during the primaries either. He only really stopped saying it when the Trump University story came out. 

And in fairness, could you really see Trump bending policy to help reelection chances or to satisfy a RNC donor? He's more likely to just let advisers and other members of the administration do whatever they like as he knows f**k all about it.

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I never thought Trump ever wanted the job of President, he probably knows deep inside he'd be crap at it, and would hate the day to day job, so I assumed he was just doing the campaign because he loves being in the public eye and a chance to get a huge amount of free publicity for his hotels and golf courses. But it seems he might be playing a game that would indicate he's not as thick and egotistical as I thought. He's data mining, getting tens of millions of gullible and angry people to give him their name, address and credit card numbers, and whatever info the Republican Party have. Note, he's made no attempt whatsoever to expand his base, and his hired twitterer, or himself, have sabotaged any possibility of that happening. Warning, it's a lengthy article and you need to read the whole thing for it to make sense.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-10-27/inside-the-trump-bunker-with-12-days-to-go

I totally agree. It's shades of Boris in the brexit thing. Be seen to lead a campaign, kick up f**k and get an outcome whilst not actually winning the "prize".

For Boris, that was to be a narrow remain win then fan the flames of the Tory right to lead a coup against Dave and become PM. Remember the pale faced state he was in when it sank in he'd actually led a winning referendum?

I think Trump is the same in that he was in for running a campaign ultimately ending in failure. But like Boris, he's ran a campaign that's been too bloody successful! He doesn't want to be president but the more he tries to sabotage his own campaign the more he solidifies his support with a certain demographic. 

So many people certain of a Hillary win and many predicting a landslide, yet noone willing to take the bet :rolleyes:

Anyway, here's some more of dem darn 'racist', 'sexist', etc. Trump supporters.

Archived