The 2016 US Presidential Election

Adamski

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Can you imagine the uproar if Trump had done this? - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-37781800

"The singer Joni Mitchell startled her friends by appearing at a Halloween party 40 years ago disguised as a black man in pimp-like garb."

If he'd done it 40 years ago or if he'd done it last week?

4 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Either. There would still be uproar in the media. 

On the other hand Donald Trump is a racist arsehole and Joni Mitchell is not.  I'm sure I don't see the connection other than "Look at her! Look at her! She did it too!" But Joni Mitchell isn't running for President, so....

6 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Either. There would still be uproar in the media. 

If he'd done it (and there's no evidence he has done it, although I think most people would reckon he has done it, he's has done it, he's definitely done it) ten or twenty years ago there would absolutely be an uproar. Forty years ago? Maybe. What you're saying is racist man being racist is news, though. Hardly earth-shattering. All it would do is prove he's been racist for most of his adult life.

He's definitely done this.

Just now, Rugster said:

What point are you trying to make here?

I saw the the Mitchell story on the BBC website and was sickened. Celebrities are treated leniently compared to politicians. 

There is also the issue of double standards - http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/black-white-minstrel-show-most-2077085

"it’s 35 years since The Black & White Minstrel Show was broadcast on BBC1 for the final time. Now that four decades have past since it was in its prime, it’s fair to ask the question ‘was this the most racist show in the history of television?’ The answer is ‘almost certainly yes’."

Just now, Bishop Briggs said:

I saw the the Mitchell story on the BBC website and was sickened. Celebrities are treated leniently compared to politicians. 

There is also the issue of double standards - http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/black-white-minstrel-show-most-2077085

"it’s 35 years since The Black & White Minstrel Show was broadcast on BBC1 for the final time. Now that four decades have past since it was in its prime, it’s fair to ask the question ‘was this the most racist show in the history of television?’ The answer is ‘almost certainly yes’."

What's this got to do with Donald Trump?

Just now, Bishop Briggs said:

I just thought "imagine the reaction of the BBC if Trump had done that". But it was Joni Mitchell so she gets a free pass. 

Ok. Seems a bit weird that the first thought in your head when you read the story was Donald Trump, but each to their own.

26 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

I just thought "imagine the reaction of the BBC if Trump had done that". But it was Joni Mitchell so she gets a free pass. 

Blackface was mainstream entertainment in '76, chum.  They were still showing the Black and White Minstrel show. 

Meanwhile in Trumpland:

Cv2tPLHXYAAGB40.jpg

2 hours ago, Bishop Briggs said:

God forbid we hold the people running a country to a higher standard than a musician or some other Z-list dickhead.

Bad news for Clinton - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-37805525

"FBI director James Comey has said the bureau is reopening its investigation into Hillary Clinton's emails. Investigators have discovered new emails "in connection with an unrelated case... that appear to be pertinent to the investigation", he said."

Archived