The Great Big Kilmarnock Thread

3 hours ago, Molotov said:

Been really quiet in here for 2 weeks. 

You looking for this @Sortmeout?

IMG_7376.gif.997e3631d8513ab160da651ed0fbabe8.gif

Good luck with your new signing. No hard feelings.

Think KVV might make a huge difference to your side. 

To be fair we’ve got a decent fans forum of our own where most of the posters on here post regularly. It’s not a patch on P+B though.

Some window for Killie.  Looks like McInnes has persuaded your board to spend big and chase that third spot. 

Given Naismith's lack of managerial experience it's probably the right bet to make.

Without double checking it this is our current first team squad (I’m including players who have played games already or are likely to play):

Dennis / O’Hara

Mayo / Findlay / Wright / Deas / Ndaba

Watson / Polworth / Donnelly / McKenzie / Lyons / Magennis / Kennedy / Armstrong / Balagizi

Watkins / Vassell / Stewart / Van Veen / GMS

Pretty strong squad.

Edited by Sortmeout

Just look at what has happened since the transfer window of January 2023 closed. Having started the window in a promising way by signing Kyle Vassell, absolutely nothing else was done until Luke Chambers signed on loan the day before the window closed. I can remember hearing rumours of players coming in as the clock ticked away, with nothing happening apart from a feeling of dread building. When the window shut, I had a horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach that relegation was coming, and we would only have ourselves to blame if it happened. The following day Dundee United came to town and we managed to win, thus changing my outlook slightly for a while - but on the whole, it felt as if McInnes was giving himself the worst possible hand on purpose to try and stay up in order to prove some oddly perverse point. It all worked out somehow - but how, exactly, I have no idea. 

Bringing it back to the present day, we have strengthened very well over the course of the two windows. While I was sceptical about the merits of re-signing some of the players who renewed their contracts, the only one who has disappointed has been Liam Donnelly. Almost every member of the current squad who features regularly is earning their keep and performing well. After surviving in a fairly comfortable fashion on the final day of last season, the club seems to be going in a good direction and things are broadly positive for the first time since the days of Steve Clarke's glorious reign. Things feel slightly different from that time, however. From my own time as a Killie fan, I would liken this current era to the 90s in terms of the vibes and the general feel. The club is on the up, looking towards Europe, and the fans are coming out in force at home games. With the prospect of a tasty cup run on the horizon, things feel a lot better at RP than they have for some time.

At the start of the season, I would have been satisfied with a season of consolidation that improved upon last season's survival. A 7th-placed finish would have been perfectly adequate, with more improvement over the summer and then having a proper crack at the top six and subsequently Europe, should we have been good enough for that. However, given the way in which the season has unfolded, I don't see why we can't aim for a European spot come the end of May. 

I don't know what's going to happen next - and it could all fall apart at any moment - but I feel a real excitement watching my team these days and I don't want it to stop. 

• 3 weeks later...