The Famous Aberdeen's European Tour 2015/16

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its closer to the Western Edge of China, than where their stadium is located :lol: Its a completely different footballing world once you're that far East

That was on hoor of a bounce. Still in Rijeka, fairly fucked up.

Mental draw. But have noticed there are direct flights from Heathrow, Frankfurt and AMS. All decent 1 hit hubs for ABZ.

Affa distance like.

Interesting final leg if you go via Moscow:

logo.jpg

3415 miles by air from Aberdeen to Almaty. An epic journey East! By comparison both New York and Toronto are closer if you were to fly west.

Usually the best direction to fly, if going to New York and Toronto.

Is there no way Aberdeen can use the 'opt out' rule to postpone their league game following the trip to Almaty?

Or has this (frankly ridiculous) rule been removed?

Does seem unfair that teams have used this rule to play friendlies in the past, surely a unique situation for Aberdeen having to travel so far to play a competitive match.

It's only ever been an excuse to accommodate OF glamour friendlies. Since neither arranged one this year maybe the SPFL won't allow any opt-outs?

In any case it was always done on the basis of clubs cancelling home games - which were of course timed in the fixturelist to coincide with the friendly. Aberdeen are away to Dundee United not at home to them. Last season they cancelled their home game against St Mirren which was some time later, for recuperation - they hosted United 3 days after Sociedad 2nd leg.

Because our game against United is already scheduled to be on Sky I imagine there is a clause in there that prevents us from postponing

Could be making that up, of course

Postponing the St Mirren game didn't help us much anyway, as we drew the rearranged game 2-2 and still had a poor start to the season and didn't really get properly going until November.

You could argue playing Dundee United early is the best time to play them as they're having to make so many signings and are likely to take a while to gel (watched a wee bit of their 4-0 horsing by Utretcht on Thursday and they didn't look too clever at all), so I'd rather play them on day one rather than a midweek in October anyway.

At the end of the day, it's one game. We lost 3-0 to United on day one last season and still finished about 20 points ahead of them.

Personally I'd play a second string team at Tannadice to keep them fresh for the second leg, as we've a big enough squad that a so-called weakened team is probably still top six standard. With the potential money involved if Aberdeen could get to the group stages, the Europa League has to be the priority.

Remember Celtic have same problem. When they come back from Azerbaijan they have two successive away games within 6 days.

Can't say I advocate playing a second string for a season opener at Tannadice, Europa League or not.

Let's be honest, IF we come through the Almaty game it's very unlikely we'd overcome whoever we meet in the play off round.

Still can't see us making the Group Stages so the league is still the priority for me.

Postponing the St Mirren game didn't help us much anyway, as we drew the rearranged game 2-2 and still had a poor start to the season and didn't really get properly going until November.

Somewhat similar story in the only other case I can remember in recent times - which was Rangers having an SPL game against Gretna put off before a vital CL groupstage match against Lyon who they'd already beaten 3-0 away. Promptly lost 3-0 at home, missed-out and dropped into UEFA Cup.

It's the perfect time to play Shankland, Smith, Robson etc. we have a good squad its up to Del to use it properly.

If we get to the groups if Europe it is a fantastic achievement and frankly I don't much care about the league if we do. Big euro nights are what the Dons are famous for, let's bring them back!

Archived