Brora Rangers v Montrose, Play Off 1st Leg

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congratulations to Montrose - I'm all in favour of the pyramid, but it really didn't feel right for Brora to be replacing Montrose this season. Must have been great to see such a big crowd too.

Be nice if we could get some TV coverage of these games for next season, even if it's just a web stream. I know I'd stump up for it.

having seen Brora and Turriff in recent seasons highland league is nothing like it used to be imagine a lot of the players going to Elgin, Peterhead

Er, didn't Nairn pap your lot out a couple of years ago?

Nairn (not the strongest HL team by any means) have beaten Clyde and ran Forfar very close after a replay. Forres only lost 0-1 to R*ngers and Formartine got through two rounds of the Challenge Cup.

Your other point is mince too - the money on offer at some teams is at least as good as they'll get at Elgin. (who have totally underachieved since getting in the league).

A scrappy game I thought, but not surprising under the circumstances. Brora looked pish. Montrose marginally better and deserved winners.

The referee was an absolute disgrace. Waving yellows about willy-nilly for f**k-all in the first half and - from my vantage point - incorrectly booking the Brora number 10 for diving when a penalty should have been given.

His sending off made a difference eventually as Brora were fucked after 70 minutes. From that point, it was a foregone conclusion.

Andrews' header was unstoppable, Wood's strike an absolute worldy.

Was happy at the end of it, despite an indifference towards both clubs. Hegarty described it as a wake-up call for all League Two teams and it's hard to argue with that.

A lack of ambition will be punished from now on. That has to be to the benefit of Scottish football as a whole.

Well done Montrose,looking forward to the Angus derby next year.Where was Ross Tokley and Gavin Morrison today for Brora,prob could have done with players like that on days like today.

Er, didn't Nairn pap your lot out a couple of years ago?

Nairn (not the strongest HL team by any means) have beaten Clyde and ran Forfar very close after a replay. Forres only lost 0-1 to R*ngers and Formartine got through two rounds of the Challenge Cup.

Your other point is mince too - the money on offer at some teams is at least as good as they'll get at Elgin. (who have totally underachieved since getting in the league).

demolished Turriff this year and Brora the year before????

Brora couldn't beat montrose easily one of the worst teams I have seen in the league for years

The highland league is pish fact

On a side note, are the referees genuinely as shite as that every week in the lower leagues of the SPFL? For both teams today, referee McKendrick was utterly rotten. Giving fouls for bare pieces of contact then wrestling was being let go. Some very strange stuff for both teams. And I thought Craig Thomson, Steven McLean etc were pish in the top division!!!

Yes. One of the biggest problems in Scottish football is the extremely poor quality of the refereeing. I reckon that the result has been determined by the referee at about 30% of the games I've attended over the last 10 years.

Yes. One of the biggest problems in Scottish football is the extremely poor quality of the refereeing. I reckon that the result has been determined by the referee at about 30% of the games I've attended over the last 10 years.

I don't disagree with your point, but I always come back with the response 'How would you go about rectifying it?'.

Some mouth foamers go on about demoting and banning refs, but then what? Who are you going to replace them with?

Well done Montrose , hopefully a big wake call for your club and town ! Now get your arses back up a league and gives a derby ! It's been way too long !

I'm not a Montrose fan...

I don't disagree with your point, but I always come back with the response 'How would you go about rectifying it?'.

Some mouth foamers go on about demoting and banning refs, but then what? Who are you going to replace them with?

Willie Collum has been fucking abysmal most of the season and the SFA reward him with the Scottish Cup Final.

Congratulations to Montrose on their 'achievement' but those photos of the pitch invasion are above are exactly what is wrong with them as a club. They've been the worst team in senior Scottish football and they're actively celebrating it. The sad reality is that while Montrose were the only team (or club) who wanted to win the game today, they'll still have no ambitions of winning this division next year. Playing just to 'exist' is pointless. Berwick might be fucking shite, but at least we're constantly failing in bids to try win a league or make the right play-offs.

Montrose should do the decent thing, resign, and allow Edinburgh City to take their place. Brora meanwhile should take their inbred community and take it to a different clogger league which doesn't have a thing to do with the SPFL :-)

On another note, chuffed for some of Montrose's players. Big Marv, of course, and fair play to Wood who seems to love the club. One of few Mo players I wouldn't mind seeing in a Berwick top. By and large the fanbase are complete mutants, so while I don't begrudge you getting pished tonight, I do hope you all leave your wives unbruised

Just home gutted and disappointed. Well done to all those Brora fans who made the journey and so much noise cheering the boys on.

On the way down stopped in Inverbervie and 3 separate people said in rhetorical conversation " that we didn't want to go up" . The overwhelming sentiment in these threads on this site is that we are a club of whinging Willies and have fostered a good deal of resentment towards us from supporters of other clubs.

I'm afraid this is a legacy of Chairman John Youngs totally inappropriate now infamous TV interview that he doesn't want to go up. We all know that our players gave 100% in all the play-off's but I'm afraid the perception of those outside Brora is that we didn't. Even the "Off the Ball" presenter joked with a jubilant Montrose supporter that their win was tainted as Brora didn't want to progress.

I'm sorry John, despite your wonderful service to the club , you have to step down from the chair and the committee as we cannot go forward with those remarks continually hanging over us. Your efforts in the past have been valiant but I'm afraid it's time to leave the stage so we can stand a chance of rebuilding our integrity reputation.

Now tell me, where was Craig McKeown today - apparently away on holiday - bloody marvellous. He has been monumental at the back alongside Grant Munro and it beggars belief that he was away on holiday for the biggest day of the clubs history. Bloody good job the fans never went on holiday and failed to turn up for the gig.. Does he have form at this trick as he was booted out of Formartine under a cloud.

Today, due to him going AWOL, Dale Gillespie had to drop into the back 4 which left our midfield empty, further worsened by Gavin Morrisons suspension due to a needless booking last week.

Now tell me also who were our two mystery subs today, certainly never been sighted in a Brora kit during the last season. In essence we went into that game with just 1 sub . We reap what we sow. Kirkwood has refused any type of squad rotation and even after we had won the league refused to rest the same 11 which he played all season, failing to develop the entire squad. The result a tired and overplayed set of players in the last two games.

Having been so close to the SPFL, Highland Fare next season will seem a bit like " after the Lord Mayors show".

We will never get another shot at the playoff's. Today was our chance and we blew it big time. We could have been ready for SPFL if McKeown and Morrison played and Kirkwood had of developed more of a squad throughout the last season.

Today's defeat was the beginning of the end of our Highland League dominance. Unless we sharpen up, build a squad of at least 18 and practice rotation then a third title is impossible as our decay will set in and we'll settle back into mid table mediocrity.

We managed to hit the headlines, screwed up on our PR, alienated ourselves from most of football supporters in Scotland and over two legs against Montrose let ourselves down. Malin, Kettlewell,Munro,McDonald and Richardson were real stalwarts but others contributed little.

Well done to Montrose. Like us you galvanised your supports but unlike us you got your players up for the gig, when we couldn't get ours to literally turn up. - Hope you enjoy your holiday Craig.

Taxi for The Mon..........all down the Anchor to drown the sorrows. Let's enjoy our last night of SPFL status cos some pretty dark days lay ahead. All this pische about Brora having 5 out,fielding U17 players and only bringing a Minibus.-believe not a word of it. We'll get gubbed tomorrow we all know that and Hegerty and Holt do too. We've been crap all season so why should things change now.Brora's record speaks for itself so lets take our vaporisation and remember fondly the the good times at links park.As the dark of the evening descends and era will come to an end. The Highlanders will return north with plans and anticipation for next season while we shall prove Darwins theory of evolution by sliding toward extinction.......Taxi for the Mon.....

spoon savoury.jpg

Congratulations to Montrose on their 'achievement' but those photos of the pitch invasion are above are exactly what is wrong with them as a club. They've been the worst team in senior Scottish football and they're actively celebrating it. The sad reality is that while Montrose were the only team (or club) who wanted to win the game today, they'll still have no ambitions of winning this division next year. Playing just to 'exist' is pointless. Berwick might be fucking shite, but at least we're constantly failing in bids to try win a league or make the right play-offs.

Montrose should do the decent thing, resign, and allow Edinburgh City to take their place. Brora meanwhile should take their inbred community and take it to a different clogger league which doesn't have a thing to do with the SPFL :-)

On another note, chuffed for some of Montrose's players. Big Marv, of course, and fair play to Wood who seems to love the club. One of few Mo players I wouldn't mind seeing in a Berwick top. By and large the fanbase are complete mutants, so while I don't begrudge you getting pished tonight, I do hope you all leave your wives unbruised

Put down the glass, man, for the love of God.

Archived