5 more years of the Tories

FlyerTon

A slim majority such as this is good for democracy and the Tories will be kept on their toes during this tenure.

The same, however, cannot be be said for Scotland. It's very unhealthy and potentially quite dangerous for a party to have such a position, absolutely no good will come of it.

Turbulent times are ahead to be sure...

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A slim majority such as this is good for democracy and the Tories will be kept on their toes during this tenure.

The same, however, cannot be be said for Scotland. It's very unhealthy and potentially quite dangerous for a party to have such a position, absolutely no good will come of it.

indeed, but the SNP will be kept on its toes at holyrood, in areas it actually has power over. The voting system guarantees that, even if they have a majority, it will only be a slender one.

You'll have to explain this one, sounds like complete bollocks to me

I voted no because I believe an independent Scotland, whoever the party in power is, would impose austerity measures, the Scottish parliament gives us the opportunity to mitigate against some of the worst, like the bedroom tax. Its why the SNP should stay well away from full fiscal autonomy as proposed by the Tories for holyrood, its quite obviously a trap.

You mean austerity measures like the UK has been imposing for the last five years and will be imposing for the next five.

File that as another farcically stupid reason given by an idiotic no voter for their no vote. That's a new one on me, and one of the most stupid (and it has serious competition).

You'll have to explain this one, sounds like complete bollocks to me

As an SNP voter, I can see where he's coming from. For all of Scotland to essentially be represented by one voice - which makes up less than half the population - probably isn't very good. Scottish conservatives and labourites are going to have a hard time getting their voices heard at Westminster. There's almost no room for dissension in the SNP ranks (SNP voting unionists, for example).

That said, if the SNP sweep represents a genuine desire of Scots to move towards a fairer society - and I'm not convinced it does - then it's a great thing.

My worry is that they'll take a new approach to deficit reduction. Real slash and burn stuff, as they revealed with their spending plans for the next parliament. Now they don't have to placate the Lib Dems, they may be a bit more hung ho. If they just scrap various benefits, then people will suffer. If people suffer, some of them get desperate and crime goes up.

The stories coming out down here are fucking incredulous. I know it's happening everywhere but the housing crisis is especially felt in London and rent prices are sky rocketing especially in areas in East London and Brixton compared to what they were. Private landlords, who've made millions buying old council stock, are putting rents up well over the rate of inflation, councils are refusing (or unable) to put housing benefit up with it. I've got a very small circle of friends down here but, out of that circle, I know three people with mental health conditions or physical disabilities who've been made homeless in the last two years.

The stories coming out down here are fucking incredulous. I know it's happening everywhere but the housing crisis is especially felt in London and rent prices are sky rocketing especially in areas in East London and Brixton compared to what they were. Private landlords, who've made millions buying old council stock, are putting rents up well over the rate of inflation, councils are refusing (or unable) to put housing benefit up with it. I've got a very small circle of friends down here but, out of that circle, I know three people with mental health conditions or physical disabilities who've been made homeless in the last two years.

The situation in London regarding rent prices, will probably mean people being shunted out to the likes of Chatham in Kent. This tactic will probably work initially, but then the landlords out there will cotton on and put up rents. It's all supply and demand.

The situation in London regarding rent prices, will probably mean people being shunted out to the likes of Chatham in Kent. This tactic will probably work initially, but then the landlords out there will cotton on and put up rents. It's all supply and demand.

Isn't Chatham on the CrossRail? Prices are gonna fucking soar there anyway

The No voting labour supporters who voted SNP?

The outcome which is being debated is 5 more yrs of the Torys.

If Scotland had sent 59 labour MPs to London..... we would still have 5 more yrs of the Torys.

If Labour had not urged their supporters to vote No last yr, then we wouldn't have 5 more yrs of Torys

Hence I blame any Labour and their attached No voters

Anyone who then subsequently voted for SNP on Thursday has to be respected for learning from their mistake

What is also true....is that the vote snp get tory is UTTER PISH

The No voting labour supporters who voted SNP?

While their late conversion is welcome, it's come too late to be of much use. Now those ex-Labour voters find themselves in a familiar position, where Scotland has voted resoundingly anti-Tory, yet has a Tory government ruling it. Independence could have stopped that.

Look how many blue bits there are on the map down South. Red is an endangered species down there, while it's all yellow up here, yet the blue bit gets to call the shots. That situation can't go on. It's not a healthy democracy.

The outcome which is being debated is 5 more yrs of the Torys.

If Scotland had sent 59 labour MPs to London..... we would still have 5 more yrs of the Torys.

If Labour had not urged their supporters to vote No last yr, then we wouldn't have 5 more yrs of Torys

Hence I blame any Labour and their attached No voters

Anyone who then subsequently voted for SNP on Thursday has to be respected for learning from their mistake

What is also true....is that the vote snp get tory is UTTER PISH

Right. But surely your ire should be towards the fine folk of the Home Counties, who vote out of self interest and spite, as opposed to those who see a fairer and more just society coming through a united Britain rather than an independent Scotland, and yet chose to punish Labour for rejecting those ideals?

I think voting no and changing your vote from Labour to SNP is an ethical stance.

While their late conversion is welcome, it's come too late to be of much use. Now those ex-Labour voters find themselves in a familiar position, where Scotland has voted resoundingly anti-Tory, yet has a Tory government ruling it. Independence could have stopped that.

Look how many blue bits there are on the map down South. Red is an endangered species down there, while it's all yellow up here, yet the blue bit gets to call the shots. That situation can't go on. It's not a healthy democracy.

Oh, I don't disagree with any of that. But given the majority of Scots oppose independence, the next best thing is to vote SNP in lieu of Labour? Why turn against what seems to me to be a highly moral stance? For most people in Scotland, independence is not the soul purpose of voting.

Right. But surely your ire should be towards the fine folk of the Home Counties, who vote out of self interest and spite, as opposed to those who see a fairer and more just society coming through a united Britain rather than an independent Scotland, and yet chose to punish Labour for rejecting those ideals?

I think voting no and changing your vote from Labour to SNP is an ethical stance.

No, my ire is towards Scots who could have voted last year to guarantee Scotland never, ever gets another Tory government. And they said no to that, now we have the Tories again.

Isn't Chatham on the CrossRail? Prices are gonna fucking soar there anyway

Not sure. Haven't lived in London since 2008. My pal had stayed in various bits of Kent, so I know rent is still cheap in some parts. He was in Twydall by Gillingham and he's moving to Milton Regis soon. Rent for a 3 bed house was fairly cheap.

The only time the Scottish people had absolute power and sovereignty was last September. With all due respect I couldnt give a shit about the Home counties; and the Scottish voters have no influence on what the voters in the home counties do.

The discussion is about 5 more yrs of torys and imo Scottish Labour are firmly to blame for this alongside their no voting drones.

No, my ire is towards Scots who could have voted last year to guarantee Scotland never, ever gets another Tory government. And they said no to that, now we have the Tories again. [/quote

That's fair enough, but a sizeable number of SNP voters oppose independence.

Archived