5 more years of the Tories

FlyerTon

Thank f**k for the English at least, now the Tories can stay on course with the recovery. Majority government eh, sweet as ya c**t. 56 pffft roond ye ya hoors

Given that you're almost certainly in receipt of ESA, you probably shouldn't be too exuberant here.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only way Labour stood a chance was to defend a Labour-SNP alliance. He bottled it and got what he deserved.

He didn't even need to do that. The Tories played their divide and rule tactics and they worked. It would be interesting to see how many of their votes were because of the SNP bogey man.

Not the biggest fan of the SNP but genuinely delighted at the result and in particular, my former MP Murphy getting beat.

However, these next 5 years are going to be horrendous.

Further and deeper cuts of £12 billion, the repeal of the Human Rights Act, the Snoopers Charter, further erosion of the welfare state, the rich continuously not having to pay that little bit more, our future in Europe in doubt and no electoral, HoL or constitutional reform.

It's going to be grim and a tough slog but I hope that a stronger Labour Party and left wing alternative emerge from this. It's clear that Scotland has rejected their New Labour and Tory - Lite package while England won't vote for them because they're not better at being tory than the tories themselves. I hope that a new force will be created, the party as it is just now is dead, and that it is something that the left of Scotland and the rest of the UK can get behind as that is what we need during these next 5 years and beyond.

It's the only future left for any sort of Labour Party.

Yep. The Tories, sad as it is to say, have played a blinder. How much influence the SNP's 56 seats actually has is another question.

The idea that England only voted Tory to keep the rogue Scots out doesn't stand up to any kind of scrutiny. It's like arguing Scotland voted SNP because of the independence movement. Far too simplistic, and actually detrimental to the numerous valid policies the SNP campaigned on.

I think there are a combination of factors for the results down South and in Scotland:

1. The SNP bogey man- despite your feelings would still have won some votes for the Tories.

2. Labour economic incompetence and perceived Tory economic competence - you can blame Gordon Brown for that,

3. UKIP taking Labour votes in southern constituencies more than Tories.

4. The collapse of the Fib-Dems - said 5 years ago that they would be the patsy to the Tories - how right I was.

5. The SNP have a grass roots organisation - Labour has nothing.

6. The SNP are seen as competent as opposed to Slab.

7. Sturgeon's performances in the debates - by far the best I've seen her - certainly moving out of Salmond's shadow.

8. Miliband saying he would rather lose before he would go in to coalition with the SNP.

9. Murphy's idiotic focus on the core vote - the very core vote who had already switched to the SNP and were part of the 45%.

The result for me is unhealthy - not because the Tories won - but because they won with such a small proportion of the votes - it disturbs me that UK-wide we have a political party elected with a majority but with 63% of people not voting for that party. In Scotland - whilst I accept that many SNP supporters will be delighted I can't help thinking either that a political vacuum with no opposition is not healthy either - especially as 50% of the electorate now have little or no representation. And, like it or not, UKIP may be a dislikable bunch of wankers, but it is not healthy either that millions votes for them but now have little representation for their votes.

Thank f**k for the English at least, now the Tories can stay on course with the recovery. Majority government eh, sweet as ya c**t. 56 pffft roond ye ya hoors

That dull thud I heard this morning. Was it your heart hitting the floor after your constituency went SNP?

If the silly SNP go on about the health service being privatised, why have they given so much private contracts to the health service in Scotland. Total and utter hypocrites.

How many private contracts?

Worth how much?

You seem to be a chap in the know, and definitely not an utterly furious Laebur drone.

How many private contracts?

Worth how much?

You seem to be a chap in the know, and definitely not an utterly furious Laebur drone.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/mobile/politics/scottish-politics/nhs-spends-millions-in-private-sector-despite-snp-clampdown.122998224

The snp have set the target figures to high,this is the end result send patients private or miss the goverment set targets.

I don't agree with the Tories on a number of issues, they are too representative of money'd classes and some of their election promises - like right to buy for housing association tenants - were stupid. I disagree with Cameron on Europe, and his foreign policy on Libya/Syria/Ukraine has done more harm than good. But... he's going to give me an eu vote and we will have stable economic growth, deficit reduction, and a reduction in the Welfare benefits craziness and the end at last to the abuse of human rights legislation by foreign criminals. So, I'm not a Tory, but the country is going to be better off without the reckless planned spending of SNP/LAB and their do nothing approach to Europe and migration. At least there is some light at the end of the tunnel.

The SNP, although toothless in London, are still a scary and hostile to business party. If they can somehow get FFA, ram up taxes and the min wage in Scotland it's going to be a disaster. As a guy in business I can tell you people will move to England/elsewhere when their cost base escalates and their returns shrink because of SNP needing to raise to cover FFA and their other spending. 52% of country still doesn't want them despite their 56.

According to the BBC website, the SNP got 50% of the vote, not 48%. However, I'm in favour of PR, unlike the Tories who love FPTP as it allows them a majority on 36.9% of the UK vote.

Every election you hear some person, saying that if a certain party wins people will leave. This time you are taking your business with you. They can't all go. Who is going to buy their house, business premises, etc. Are they just going to abandon them? I suppose that's one way to free up some housing stock.

My worry is that they'll take a new approach to deficit reduction. Real slash and burn stuff, as they revealed with their spending plans for the next parliament. Now they don't have to placate the Lib Dems, they may be a bit more hung ho. If they just scrap various benefits, then people will suffer. If people suffer, some of them get desperate and crime goes up.

According to the BBC website, the SNP got 50% of the vote, not 48%. However, I'm in favour of PR, unlike the Tories who love FPTP as it allows them a majority on 35%-40% of the countries vote.

Every election you hear some sad act saying that if a certain party wins people will leave. This time they are taking their business with them.

My worry is that they'll take a new approach to deficit reduction. Real slash and burn stuff, as they revealed with their spending plans for the next parliament. Now they don't have to placate the Lib Dems, they may be a bit more hung ho. If they just scrap various benefits, then people will suffer. If people suffer, some of them get desperate and crime goes up.

Any time a conservative got asked about the £12b wellfare cuts and where they will come from dont think one of them give a straight reply,there plans for universal credit are going to cause problems as well,6 benefit payments rolled into 1 payment per mth,i know the wellfare rights team in dundee have serious concerns about it.

Any time a conservative got asked about the £12b wellfare cuts and where they will come from dont think one of them give a straight reply,there plans for universal credit are going to cause problems as well,6 benefit payments rolled into 1 payment per mth,i know the wellfare rights team in dundee have serious concerns about it.

As do Angus. However the true impact won't be felt until they start bringing in the more complicated claims. It's starting with the "easy" ones. IE, single JSA claimants in socially rented housing. The true level of clusterfuck will hit in 2-3 years once couples, Tax credit cases, limited capability for work etc cases roll in.

It will be an utter disaster.

I don't like the idea of a Tory government either Kev. However, the people didn't see fit to elect Labour.

He didn't even need to do that. The Tories played their divide and rule tactics and they worked. It would be interesting to see how many of their votes were because of the SNP bogey man.

What swung it was the collapse of the Lib Dems in rural England. Nobody was predicting that they could win only six seats in all of England. My guess is that the disruption to decades old tactical voting patterns caused by the coalition led to local swings that were not accurately predicted by the forecast model software. The UKIP vote held up quite well so not convinced that the anti-SNP propaganda really gained much traction. Sturgeon appears to have impressed a lot of people south of the border after all.

The reason Tories are in is because Labour are a fucking shambles and can't be trusted in large chunks of the UK. That is the fault of Labour and the Lib Dems, who's shitebaggery in the last few years won them more seats.

Every single finger from every side who doesn't want the Tories in power should be pointing right at their doors and nobody else's.

The reason Tories are in is because Labour are a fucking shambles and can't be trusted in large chunks of the UK. That is the fault of Labour and the Lib Dems, who's shitebaggery in the last few years won them more seats.

Every single finger from every side who doesn't want the Tories in power should be pointing right at their doors and nobody else's.

labour had an open goal, certainly in England.disillusioned lib dems switching to labour should have got them a pretty comfortable lead over the tories but the Tories were more efficient at picking up lib dem seats especially in sw England.and in Tory labour marginals like ed balls seat, the lib dem votes should have automatically switched to labour. That really cost them the election, possibly more so than the collapse in Scotland.

labour had an open goal, certainly in England.disillusioned lib dems switching to labour should have got them a pretty comfortable lead over the tories but the Tories were more efficient at picking up lib dem seats especially in sw England.and in Tory labour marginals like ed balls seat, the lib dem votes should have automatically switched to labour. That really cost them the election, possibly more so than the collapse in Scotland.

Labour missed an open goal?.Not as big as the open goal that the Scottish people missed by voting to stay in the UK. Then this discussion of 5more years of the tories would not be relevant to any of you over the border.

If the silly SNP go on about the health service being privatised, why have they given so much private contracts to the health service in Scotland. Total and utter hypocrites.

Probably the same reasons that Labour did in Scotland too. Is it preferable to leave someone needing a hip or knee replacement waiting months due to a lack of capacity or is it better to agree a deal with Bupa etc to have the procedure done by them?

If memory serves having briefly worked with Bupa the figures being charged were not too bad and worked for both parties and more importantly the patient. What it all boils down to though is a lack of hospital beds caused by a generation of low investment and neglect in the nhs that saw buildings crumble, wards closed, staff leave all the while why the population got older.

Although the last few years have saw increased investment its not an overnight remedy. It takes time.

So in essence the NHS will continue to require assistance from private partners while the rebuilding of services takes place and capacity is increased through the building of new facilities like the one in Glasgow. As a current NHS Employee I know how tough austerity has been for us in Scotland yet compared to England it has been a breeze. Down south under the Tories it has been a nightmare with terms and conditions for staff attacked as well as a desperate attempt to reduce front line services and flog off contracts to the highest bidder. So I firmly believe that the SNP are doing a good job with our NHS and I am hopeful they continue to do so.

Labour missed an open goal?.Not as big as the open goal that the Scottish people missed by voting to stay in the UK. Then this discussion of 5more years of the tories would not be relevant to any of you over the border.

I voted no because I believe an independent Scotland, whoever the party in power is, would impose austerity measures, the Scottish parliament gives us the opportunity to mitigate against some of the worst, like the bedroom tax. Its why the SNP should stay well away from full fiscal autonomy as proposed by the Tories for holyrood, its quite obviously a trap.

Archived