5 more years of the Tories

FlyerTon

Oh, I don't disagree with any of that. But given the majority of Scots oppose independence, the next best thing is to vote SNP in lieu of Labour? Why turn against what seems to me to be a highly moral stance? For most people in Scotland, independence is not the soul purpose of voting.

There is no 'next best thing'. Voting for either of them makes little difference if England returns a Tory majority. What moral stance did they take? Are we talking about voting anti-austerity?

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only time the Scottish people had absolute power and sovereignty was last September. With all due respect I couldnt give a shit about the Home counties; and the Scottish voters have no influence on what the voters in the home counties do.

The discussion is about 5 more yrs of torys and imo Scottish Labour are firmly to blame for this alongside their no voting drones.

I lay the blame firmly at Labour's door too. The Tories left most of the campaigning to Labour and put a Labour guy (Darling) up as the figurehead of Better Together. If it was the Tories campaigning for a No then we'd be independent by now.

There is no 'next best thing'. Voting for either of them makes little difference if England returns a Tory majority. What moral stance did they take? Are we talking about voting anti-austerity?

I think we are, yes. And all the other policies which differentiate the SNP from the political mainstream towards a more progressive society.

The only time the Scottish people had absolute power and sovereignty was last September. With all due respect I couldnt give a shit about the Home counties; and the Scottish voters have no influence on what the voters in the home counties do.

The discussion is about 5 more yrs of torys and imo Scottish Labour are firmly to blame for this alongside their no voting drones.

Okay, so independence is your goal, rather than a change in society?

Independence is a change in society.

I disagree. There's absolutely no reason to think an independent Scotland would be inherently more just. It would make a change in society much more likely, but it wouldn't necessarily achieve it in and of itself.

Ive never denied that independence was my goal. I firmly believe that as an independent country we would be more prosperous, more socially just and more progressive.

The people you are blaming for now having the Conservatives in power would argue precisely the same is possibly from within the current setup. Whilst I don't necessarily agree with them, I don't see it as a blameworthy position to adopt.

I think we are, yes. And all the other policies which differentiate the SNP from the political mainstream towards a more progressive society.

Now someone just needs to convince England it's a good idea.

Okay, so independence is your goal, rather than a change in society?

Independence would make changing society easier and would give the greatest chance of prolonging the effect of that change in society.

I disagree. There's absolutely no reason to think an independent Scotland would be inherently more just. It would make a change in society much more likely, but it wouldn't necessarily achieve it in and of itself.

Yes there is, voting patterns. Simple.

That's so suggest the dominant political views in Scotland are no different than those in rUK. Nothing could be further from the truth as this election has shown.

Independence would make changing society easier and would give the greatest chance of prolonging the effect of that change in society.

I completely agree. But most Scots don't.

So I would suggest the SNP stand in English constituencies. Turn it into a genuine UK wide movement.

FFA is a great idea, but the SNP need to hammer home the message FFA means Scotland gets 100% of Scotland's share of North Sea revenues. If we do FFA makes us better off.

SNP also need to hammer home in the media this talk of a black hole is pish as the UK has a similar sized black hole so it makes no difference either way.

Archived