Next UK Labour Leader

FlyerTon

Next UK Labour Leader  

243 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Dorlomin :lol:

Labour types are just desperate to believe that Scotland is some kind of hotbed of exclusive nationalism and anti-Englishness: it gives them some kind of cheap rationale for a humiliating failure that they can neither explain nor come to terms with.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Labour types are just desperate to believe that Scotland is some kind of hotbed of exclusive nationalism and anti-Englishness: it gives them some kind of cheap rationale for a humiliating failure that they can neither explain nor come to terms with.

It also allows them to live with their own ardent desire that Scotland remain a region of the British state with its governments chosen outside Scotland. Simply pretending that a desire to become a sovereign state is "anti English" means not have to acknowledge one's own servility.

It doesn't occur to them that, for example, the UK not wishing to become a region of France with a sovereign parliament in Paris, chosen by the French electorate, does not equate to being "anti French."

There are "types" on here who are just desperate to believe that most of England is a some kind of hotbed of Little Englandism and xenophobic anti-europeanism.

I'm Scottish but I love England and English people, particularly the people in God's own country of Yorkshire. I find it really frustrating that people think Scots hate the English.

Though it does remind me of celebrity Dons fan Willie's take:

I'm Scottish but I love England and English people, particularly the people in God's own country of Yorkshire. I find it really frustrating that people think Scots hate the English.

I have a great number of friends in Yorkshire. I'll not have anyone accusing me of being anti English. Absolute fact that Blair persuaded tories to vote for him by selling a lot of Labour principles down the river. As soon as the tories got their shit together Labour lost the soft tory vote. Now labour stands for f**k all and it shows. They're finished. Shame for those who support them in England like a lot of my mates because they have nowhere to turn.

There are "types" on here who are just desperate to believe that most of England is a some kind of hotbed of Little Englandism and xenophobic anti-europeanism.

From perma-raging Confidemus types, sure; but not as part of actual SNP discourse.

Compare and contrast with the 'blame everyone else', 'Scotland lost to nationalism' victim mentality inherent in Labour:

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2015/09/we-live-volatile-age-post-truth-politics-and-so-brexit-cannot-be-ruled-out

England is an awesome country with a fascinating history, a wonderful cultural heritage and millions of great people. But there's no particular reason its electorate should choose Scotland's sovereign governments.

Me too.  My mum and half my family are English.  A great bunch of lads.

Tbf I think Dorlomin is getting this year's election meltdown in early.

I doubt it can top last May's tiny tears hilarity though.

Hopefully all his pals down south didn't lose their jobs because of us not voting the way he wanted.

:lol:

That was a belter. If I could be arsed I'd repost the meltdown but we'll see it again in a few weeks anyway.

Those are absolutely glorious :lol:

Every time the SNP hype their role in a hung parliament they are deliberately trying to lose Labour votes in English marginals. They are a bunch of hypocritical back stabbing scum.

They want the tories to gain seats in England. 

They have no interest but their petty little power trip north of the border. 

This will not bother nats, in fact this will thrill them. Nothing would make them happier than throwing the English working class into the clutches of their tory mates. 

Ooft.

A fantastic example of the petty parochialism of nationalism. 

The kind of scum who look out for themselves irrespective of the consequence on others. Its one thing to want an independent nation. Its another to deliberately play up to the far right press to bring in a far right government to get it. 

I have a lot of mates down here on minimum wage and zero hours contracts, the SNP rats policy of deliberately stoking fears in the English marginals will help make their lives tougher.

You are vermin who think you are saints. 

oooooft.

I dont care who you are going to vote for. 

What I commented on and no one seems capable of defending is the constant drum beat from the SNP of how they are going to be bossing things post election, knowing full well that this will have a minimal impact of how things turn out in Scotland yet plays straight into the hands of the right wing press. 

The deification of the SNP has become deeply unhealthy. "Hear no evil, see no evil." It is into the realms of associating an attack on them with an attack on Scottishness. 

They have tacked to the left of Labour because their are votes there, not because they have any deep commitment to left of center politics. 

Nationalism has become a hysteria driven band wagon. Totally lacking any smidgen of critical self analysis. On the plus side that kind of politics almost always self implodes.

:o :o

Breakdown... imminent.

Because that is not the message being played on repeat for the last week in England. 

Its the SNP are going to be running things and spending like there is no tomorrow. The Tories pulled an unbelievable figure of £8 billion a year extra spending on the NHS. Labour were using this as a stick to beat them as "uncosted spending" then the SNP pulled £9 billion on the NHS and various other spending commitments. They constantly talk up how they will run things down here, how much they will spend with only superficial interest in where the money will come from and now Salmond starts joking about writing the budget. 

The SNP could be focussing on Scottish issue beating Scottish Labour into a pulp. Instead they just "seem" to keep playing up to the SNP bogey man image in the South. 

An image that is the Tories no 1 selling point. 

Just when the whole "Miliband is unelectable" was collapsing they have a whole new story. One Labour can do nothing about. 

And all our little cybernat friends pretend that this is unconnected with the loss of power the SNP will have if the Lab\Lib\SDLP block becomes viable. Because the SNP are soooooooo above politics. They have 60 years of being to the left of Labour or something. 

:lol:

:(

Couple more for good measure;

You need 326 seats in your block to be able to carry confidence motions (and other legislation) in the Commons. Given the Libs might get 25 ish and the SDLP 2, so a Lab\LD\SDLP block would be viable with Labour getting near 304/5ish seats. Why does this explain Boss Nass boasting he would be writing the budget (which all the neo nationalists immediately declared "only a joke" and yet gets a high billing in English press)?If the Lab\Lib\SDLP block is viable, then either the SNP would have to offer a better deal or they would get locked out. 

So the SNP and Conservative keep playing their little double game of pretending to hate each other while needing each other. Scumbags like Sturgeon and Boss Nass make ludicrous comments like the manifesto of eternal spending and the Tories use this in the English marginals.

Off course this is all ludicrous because Cameron would not be laughing at not tweeting Boss Nass's fantasies....

https://twitter.com/...851033753985025

Con\SNP. W&nkers. 

If hysterical ranting wont work, then claiming its your baw and you're going home might.

Thank you SNP for running your big mouth off about running England.

You knew what you were doing and now will get the result you wanted.

Thanks Kyle, I'd never read these rantings.

They have no interest but their petty little power trip north of the border. 

An SNP only concerned with Scotland.

Who’d a thought?

A fantastic example of the petty parochialism of nationalism.

Whit does that even mean?

Nationalism has become a hysteria driven band wagon.

Totally lacking any smidgen of critical self analysis.

On the plus side that kind of politics almost always self implodes.

Aye, right.

The SNP could be focussing on Scottish issue beating Scottish Labour into a pulp.

How did that go again?

If the Lab\Lib\SDLP block is viable, then either the SNP would have to offer a better deal or they would get locked out. 

Whit happened there again?

Thank you SNP for running your big mouth off about running England.

You knew what you were doing and now will get the result you wanted.

Aye, a huge fucking majority in Scotland

Mind Tony Blair?

A hatchet job so lethal, you almost feel sympathy for Blair: Review of Broken Vows by Tom Bower

Iain Macwhirter, Political Editor / Sunday 13 March 2016 / Arts & Ents

Published Sunday 13 March 2016 / Arts & Ents

1 comment

TONY Blair used to complain about the “feral beasts†in the tabloid press. Now, he’d be forgiven for complaining about feral historians, if this first full-scale political biography is to be taken as a benchmark. Tom Bower paints a picture of an intellectually and morally deficient politician with little grasp of statecraft who was obsessed by personal enrichment.

He all but accuses Blair of using his charitable works as a front for his financial dealings, often with dictators like Paul Kagame of Rwanda and Nursultan Nazarbayev of Kazakhstan. His account of Tony Blair’s relationship with Rupert Murdoch’s wife, Wendy Deng, is eye-popping and must have given Faber’s libel lawyers a run for their money.

The picture is so dire, indeed, that you almost find yourself sympathising with the former Labour prime minister. He couldn’t have been that bad could he? What about the investment in the health service, the national minimum wage, the Human Rights Act, freedom of information, the Northern Ireland peace process, devolution?

But as Bower tells it, Blair either regretted these achievements – he quotes the former PM as saying that the Freedom of Information Act was his “stupidest and most naive†measure – or simply failed. The English health service was left a mess, despite Labour tripling its budget. Similar investment in education, Bower claims, delivered no increase in standards.

Bower also accuses Tony Blair of irresponsibly sponsoring mass immigration for purposes of social engineering. If this all sounds a bit like the Daily Mail, that’s not surprising. This book has been serialised therein and Bower writes very much in the style of that particular tabloid. It reads like character assassination rather than scholarship.

Nor is there any attempt to give a balanced appraisal of those who served under Tony Blair. The late Labour foreign secretary, Robin Cook, is described as “a snakeâ€. Gordon Brown is a “resentful Scot†with “psychological flaws†and “tormented relationships with womenâ€.

Other members of the New Labour circle get similar rough treatment. The former Trade and Industry Secretary was over-promoted, “resentful†and “misled parliament over Railtrackâ€. Charles Clarke, the Home Secretary, was “boorishâ€, David Blunket a “bullyâ€.

Tom Bower insists that he is a Labour voter himself and that he even supported the 2003 invasion of Iraq. Though he now presents the war as a disaster based on Blair’s incompetence and vanity. He wanted to “save the world†by engaging in military adventures that employed “force for goodâ€. Quoting interviews with civil servants and senior military figures, Bower says Blair systematically misled the Cabinet and distorted intelligence to justify a

rush to war.

This is a hatchet job, but Bower uses a very sharp axe. Broken Vows is meticulously researched, especially on the run up to the Iraq War and its chaotic aftermath.

However we learn little about Tony Blair that is really new.

No-one seriously denies

today that the intelligence on Iraq’s weapons of mass destruction was “sexed upâ€.

Nor will any dedicated reader of the UK press fail to recognise the picture painted of Cherie Blair: a grasping, weak and vain woman who constantly complains of not being allowed a private jet.

Again, you feel that this successful human rights barrister and LSE governor

must have some positive qualities. But according to Bower she seems only interested in holidays and buying expensive houses – a kind of Islington Imelda Marcos.

Tony Blair built a £25m property empire within two years of his departure from Number 10, including a country house in Buckinghamshire, a town house in Connaught Square, a London mews house and a block of flats in Manchester. You wonder how anyone could have amassed such wealth so quickly. As former PM, Tony Blair received a pension of only £63,468.

Bower fills in the dots. Blair received £4m for his memoirs, A Journey. Upon retiring from Westminster he also walked into a £3m per annum job with the Wall Street bank, JP Morgan. Blair also charges £250,000 for his speeches plus £40,000 expenses.

But most of his wealth seems to come from advising governments, often African dictators. He was thick as thieves with Muammar Gaddafi, the Libyan dictator, according to Bower, and visited him six times after he stood down as PM, generally with representatives of BP and JP Morgan at his side.

Bower claims that Blair promised Gaddafi that he would try to secure the release of the Lockerbie bomber, Abdelbaset Al-Megrahi, in 2009. The Scottish Justice Secretary, Kenny MacAskill, did indeed release al Megrahi that year, though there was never any mention of Tony Blair being involved.

You simply ask yourself: why? How could a Labour prime minister be so crass, so unconcerned about his reputation? No doubt Blair would argue that he needed to raise large sums of money to finance his charitable work. But again, the way Bower tells it, Blair’s charitable endeavours through his Faith Foundation and his Africa Governance Initiative were always riddled with conflicts of interest.

Tony Blair was a brilliant politician and a gifted communicator. He was Labour’s most successful leader and won three General Elections. But if Tom Bower is right, his obsession with personal enrichment, even more than the Iraq War, is likely to provide his tawdry epitaph. “The prime minister’s judgement,†says Bower, “appeared permanently warped by money.â€

Promoted Stories

Tivoli named as cheapest SUV of the year by Auto Express. Brochures within.

(SsangYong UK | Great Value 4x4 Cars, SUVs, Crossover Cars, MPVs, People Carriers)

5 weekend breaks that you never thought of…

(FSCS)

10 Celebs You Had No Clue Were Married To Each Other

(Answers.com)

Top 10 Cars that Keep Their Value

(Money Advice Service)

15 Things That Still Shock Foreigners in America

(Destination Tips)

Mother 'gave boy, 15, drugs to stay awake for sex'

Scots Council plans to fly Irish Tricolour for 1916 anniversary on…

BT Sport apologises for X-rated interruption at Morton v Rangers game

Frankie Boyle pays tribute to Sir Terry Wogan... and offends…

Recommended by

Most Popular

Most Commented

David Torrance: Scottish nationalism and the inconvenient truth 1

BBC dismiss claims of bias against Rangers as complaints lodged on Ibrox boycott 2

Which part of Scotland has been named the hippest place to live in Britain? 3

SNP chief tells warring factions they must 'stick to the party's internal rules' 4

Glasgow tops UK list of benefits claimants labelled 'too drunk to work' 5

Veteran Glasgow leader Gordon Matheson to quit politics 6

Former Lanarkshire hospital "considerably damaged" by major blaze 7

Savings bonus for low-paid Scots as Swinney fights cuts plan 8

Scots ski instructor dies in "tragic accident" in the Alps 9

Matthew Lindsay: Strachan shouldn't ignore Wallace as Scotland bid to qualify for Russia 2018 10

Load more stories

People who read this article also read...

Iain Macwhirter: Yes, so-called state guardians are at the very least a snoopers' charter

Only a tea party with Donald Trump could stop the SNP triumphing in May

Historian Tom Devine dismisses claims he no longer supports independence as 'a falsehood'

David Torrance: Scottish nationalism and the inconvenient truth

Problems mount for McAveety in Glasgow as top official signs off sick

Turmoil at BBC Scotland as journalists threaten to block 'Scottish Six'

Comments & Moderation

We moderate all comments on Herald Scotland on either a pre-moderated or post-moderated basis. If you're a relatively new user then your comments will be reviewed before publication and if we know you well and trust you then your comments will be subject to moderation only if other users or the moderators believe you've broken the rules

READ THE NEW RULES HERE

Moderation is undertaken full-time 9am-6pm on weekdays, and on a part-time basis outwith those hours. Please be patient if your posts are not approved instantly.

Comments (1)

A hatchet job so lethal, you almost feel sympathy for Blair: Review of Broken Vows by Tom Bower

2:44pm Sun 13 Mar 16

Susan Galea says...

Blair's folie de grandeur in the decision to prosecute the Iraq war was a clear indication of his lack of knowledge of the ME; his messianic belief in his own " rightness" and his inability to learn from history- even if he was so- informed- and his utter disdain for responsibility when he felt that God was on his side and that would be quite enough, thank you very much.

Deeply frightening how he was able to con so many for so long and then hive off so few to ensure that up to the last minute parliament was bypassed in favour of his coterie of lackeys.

Perhaps his shilling for the tyrants in Africa and others is also attributable to his carapace of self-belief that acts as an impenetrable armour against enlightenment or self- doubt of any kind. Again, the damage is wrought and somehow Blair is never held responsible. He walks - swaggers- from one disaster to another and remains untouched by any accountability or seeming remorse for decisions that reflect on his self- interest rather than any apparent good achieved, for there is none evident.

Blair subverted democracy in this country and seems impervious to its imperatives across the globe: does he not care, did he ever...? The need to amass the shed loads of money from the most dubious sources for the most questionable actions that amount to PR and speechifying cannot be any compensation for the devastation to which he contributed both in Iraq and its consequences in the ME and everywhere ISIS alight.

Not sure what the redeeming features can be unless it is attributable to some kind of impulse for good that has been suborned to a delusion of his own messianic need to be followed in the belief in his own rectitude and brilliant understanding... The consequences of which are tragic for all.

Score: 3

Quote Report this post

Sign in to leave a comment or vote

Email

Password

Remember me

Sign in

Forgotten password / Forgotten email

Or sign in with

Facebook

Or register to leave a comment

Register

NEWS

SPORT

MOST READ

Desktop siteContact UsSubscribePhoto SalesAdvertiseAdChoices Exchange and MartTwo's Company Dating

Terms & ConditionsContributor TermsCookie PolicyPrivacy Policy©Copyright 2001-2015

This site is part of Newsquest's audited local newspaper network | A Gannett Company

Newsquest Herald & Times Group Ltd, 200 Renfield Street, Glasgow G2 3QB|Registered in Scotland

IPSO

REGULATEDThis website and associated newspapers adhere to the Independent Press Standards Organisation's Editors' Code of Practice. If you have a complaint about the editorial content which relates to inaccuracy or intrusion, then please contact the editor here. If you are dissatisfied with the response provided you can contact IPSO here

Archived