Cinema/Pictures, Going alone

I went to see Filth on my own when it came out. It wasn't a great experience as I felt like the odd one out because all the other people in the cinema were either a couple or with their mates. To make matters worse, I took a tin of juice in with me (feck paying over the odds for juice at the place) and during the trailers I accidentally knocked the can over and the surrounding area was humming of raspberryade for the duration of the film. I also lost a filling whilst eating a bag of starburst. I vowed never to return to the cinema on my own again.

I'd quite happily go to a gig on my own and have done on several occasions.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's weird how everybody's got different comfort zones about what they'll do on their tod. Personally, I'm happy to go to a gig on my own - I'm not missing out on a band I like just because no-one else fancies it - but I'd be reluctant to go to the cinema on my own.

Similarly, I don't mind nipping in for a couple of solo pints if I've got time to kill before a train or whatever, but if I'm away from home with work I'd rather grab a takeaway and eat it in the hotel than give it "Table for one..." at a restaurant.

Yeah, I love playing golf on my own, well I don't mind it. You play well no pressure and can take your time, maybe practice a bit. But a lot of my mates wouldn't even consider it.

I went to see Filth on my own when it came out. It wasn't a great experience as I felt like the odd one out because all the other people in the cinema were either a couple or with their mates. To make matters worse, I took a tin of juice in with me (feck paying over the odds for juice at the place) and during the trailers I accidentally knocked the can over and the surrounding area was humming of raspberryade for the duration of the film. I also lost a filling whilst eating a bag of starburst. I vowed never to return to the cinema on my own again.

I'd quite happily go to a gig on my own and have done on several occasions.

Sounds like a episode of Mr Bean

I hardly go to the cinema any more, but when I do it's usually on my own. I also plan my visit for when it's most likely to be viewer-friendly. DA's first post was poetry (apart from the "as little people as possible" rather than "few".) My cinema trips require careful research into pin-pointing the screening most likely to be spacious and ned-free: typically Monday, Tuesday and Thursday mornings. My brain is still conditioned not to go on Orange Wednesdays- even though I'm pretty sure they don't do those any more. Weekends or evenings are a complete write-off.

Nothing against it in principle but I think the type of film does play a factor. Romantic comedies, weepy chick flicks or kids' films...probably best not.

Unless of course, you happen to be a romantic, a weepy chick or a kid in which case, have at it.

I think I'd happily go and see any Pixar movie on my own. I've not done so yet, because there's always been someone to go with, but if I had to, I'd have no problem with it.

The same point still applies. I'm not going to be stopped seeing something I want to see because others don't want to.

I want to go and see Mad Max. My missus doesn't. I shall now be attending the Imax on my tod.

Sometimes the planets align and life is as perfect as its ever going to get.

Amen to that KB......

I went to the pictures on my own for the first time the other week to see Avengers AOU.

I work 6pm-2am and was really bored before work, having done it once I'll defo be doing it again.

It was kinda awkward asking for the ticket and stuff at first but once your watching the movie you don't give a f**k.

I hardly go to the cinema any more, but when I do it's usually on my own. I also plan my visit for when it's most likely to be viewer-friendly. DA's first post was poetry (apart from the "as little people as possible" rather than "few".) My cinema trips require careful research into pin-pointing the screening most likely to be spacious and ned-free: typically Monday, Tuesday and Thursday mornings. My brain is still conditioned not to go on Orange Wednesdays- even though I'm pretty sure they don't do those any more. Weekends or evenings are a complete write-off.

Yup, most weekday mornings are good but you have to be careful as some cinemas do shit like family sceenings some mornings. As you say weekends are a write off, but Monday, Tuesday and Thursday evenings can be good if the film has been our for at least a couple of weeks. Most weekday afternoons are fine as well, although I'd urge caution with Wednesday afternoons due to the aforementioned Orange Wednesdays.

Obviously during school holidays you need to avoid weekdays.

Choice of cinema is important as well. When I lived in Aberdeen I went to Vue. There are two Cineworlds where most folk go, leaving Vue less busy. So I would say avoid the larger, more popular cinemas when you can.

I want to go and see Mad Max. My missus doesn't. I shall now be attending the Imax on my tod.

Sometimes the planets align and life is as perfect as its ever going to get.

Ditto,tuesday at midday im going to watch this which i also did for the new star trek,ned free time aswell

I went to the pictures on my own for the first time the other week to see Avengers AOU.

I work 6pm-2am and was really bored before work, having done it once I'll defo be doing it again.

It was kinda awkward asking for the ticket and stuff at first but once your watching the movie you don't give a f**k.

Ticket machines are your friend here.

I went to see the first Lord of the Rings film on my own. It was the cinema in Worcester. I was working down there. I used to slag folk off for going to the cinema on their own, but I'd probably do it again.

I've not been to the cinema since 2001.

Similarly, it's been several years since I was last at the cinema. I went to see Les Miserables, the movie, at the Adam Smith theatre a couple of years ago, but I think it's been 6 or 7 years since I was at the cinema.

Archived