Best Central Midfielder ;EPL Era

Best CM in the EPL Era  

128 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Thanks to the BBC for the poll ideahttp://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/32535848, but as usual it's up to the experts on P&B to get the real answer so ...vote for who you think was best and discuss.

For me it was a 3 way split between Scholes ,Keane and Viera but just went for Viera, the way he used to control the pace and tempo of a game was stunning, all great players (in the EPL anyway)

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's difficult to compare these players really. They all play centre-mid but in very different ways.

- the sheer brute physicality of Yaya or Viera or Keane

- the controlling tempo-driven play of Scholes, and to an extent Fabregas

- the box to box, old-school arrive-late-in-the-box types of Lampard and Gerrard

Patrick Vieira. If I was making a team from scratch, before picking any other position I'd build it round a brilliant central midfielder, and he's who I'd pick. Brilliant defensively and going forward, composed in possession just as he was aggressive without it. At his peak for Arsenal he was the closest I've seen to the 'complete' central midfielder.

Would probably pick Scholes second and Keane third, cracking players the both of them.

I always court controversy in this debate as I insist didi hamann was the most underrated player in that position I'd take him ahead of the rest. He read the game better than them, led by example on and off the park, the man was class.

Agree on the park a fantastic player who Rafa maybe should have hung on to a season or 2 longer.

Not so sure off it though he liked a fag, beer, a gamble and sure he surrendered his driving license at one point.

Think Veron was better than all of them, but never saw his best in the EPL.

He also has the greatest endorsement imaginable, Ferguson called him 'a fucking great player', which is about as good as it gets. He's the best manager ever, if he calls you a fucking great player that's serious praise.

Archived