How Fuckin Shite Is Edinburgh Airport

HTG

any recomendations for car rental companies at Edinburgh airport, I usually use enterprise and its always been ok, no hassle and reliable but a bit pricey. Trying to reduce costs so looking for cheaper alternative if any

Edited by ScotiaNostra

20 hours ago, ScotiaNostra said:

any recomendations for car rental companies at Edinburgh airport, I usually use enterprise and its always been ok, no hassle and reliable but a bit pricey. Trying to reduce costs so looking for cheaper alternative if any

I wouldn’t ever just check one car rental company.

Try in no particular order Rentalcars, Holiday Autos, Carjet, Kayak, Expedia and Skyscanner. Carjet has been the cheapest for UK rentals recently.

Keep an eye on limited mileage with rentals and costs for additions such as additional drivers if relevant.

Would also recommend spending a few quid on insurance to cover the excess which can be significant with most hire companies - never buy the additional insurance from the hire co - and do go over the car with a fine tooth comb when picking it up and get every blemish logged however small - with many hire co’s running quite old cars that have been hard used don’t assume they are blemish free.

I got aspire lounge access free through credit card and its not like many lounges I have ben in before. There didn't seem to be any discernible difference between there and Spoons.

Not that it bothers as I'm not too good for the Walter Scott and its where I would have been quite happily if not for the freebie but surprised if people are paying money to sit amongst loud groups of golf groups and stag dos.  

On 19/05/2015 at 13:36, HTG said:

As the title says. How bad does this place have to become before something is done about it. The security is a fuckin disaster zone. New owners who give zero fucks about their core purpose of getting people off the ground. Maybe folk would spend more money in their extended shopping mall if they could get into the fuckin place.

Discovering this thread 9 years later.   It's not changed, well, you pay a shitload more to drop off/pick up.

Landing into Edinburgh from outwith the UK/Ireland and then having to climb 3 flights of stairs if you're not fortunate enough to have an air bridge, walk along small gloomy corridors, back down 3 flights of stairs and then face the disaster that is the Border Control tin shed is a terrible welcome to Scotland.  Last year I spent an hour trying to get through after landing from Madrid, 1 person on the desks and the e-gates working for about half the people.

Edited by Burnieman

18 hours ago, Burnieman said:

Discovering this thread 9 years later.   It's not changed, well, you pay a shitload more to drop off/pick up.

Landing into Edinburgh from outwith the UK/Ireland and then having to climb 3 flights of stairs if you're not fortunate enough to have an air bridge, walk along small gloomy corridors, back down 3 flights of stairs and then face the disaster that is the Border Control tin shed is a terrible welcome to Scotland.  Last year I spent an hour trying to get through after landing from Madrid, 1 person on the desks and the e-gates working for about half the people.

The egates are a shocker

If the member of staff there concentrated on helping folk with them rather than being surly im sure they'd be much more efficient 

But yes,an appalling welcome to Edinburgh,swiftly followed by the airports public transport option ripoffs,I suppose it'll get people into the mindset of how they'll be treated in the city

On 10/04/2024 at 19:01, Frosty said:

I wouldn’t ever just check one car rental company.

Try in no particular order Rentalcars, Holiday Autos, Carjet, Kayak, Expedia and Skyscanner. Carjet has been the cheapest for UK rentals recently.

Keep an eye on limited mileage with rentals and costs for additions such as additional drivers if relevant.

Would also recommend spending a few quid on insurance to cover the excess which can be significant with most hire companies - never buy the additional insurance from the hire co - and do go over the car with a fine tooth comb when picking it up and get every blemish logged however small - with many hire co’s running quite old cars that have been hard used don’t assume they are blemish free.

the only thing I'd say is you need to be careful with third party booking sites, especially in peak season. Companies will give priority to people booking directly through their website to the point where if they have no cars you will have to wait until there are. 

Also, worth checking Arnold Clark rental (I know). Their prices fluctuate but can sometimes be good in comparison even to agents. Only thing is that they have a surcharge if it's out of hours.

3 hours ago, highlandmac said:

The egates are a shocker

If the member of staff there concentrated on helping folk with them rather than being surly im sure they'd be much more efficient 

But yes,an appalling welcome to Edinburgh,swiftly followed by the airports public transport option ripoffs,I suppose it'll get people into the mindset of how they'll be treated in the city

My passport never works at egates in the UK, but anytime abroad and having to use them, it works.  Work that out.

Basically, Edinburgh Airport cannot cope with the amount of flights it handles.  In reality the terminal building needs demolished and rebuilt.

On 16/04/2024 at 13:30, Burnieman said:

My passport never works at egates in the UK, but anytime abroad and having to use them, it works.  Work that out.

Basically, Edinburgh Airport cannot cope with the amount of flights it handles.  In reality the terminal building needs demolished and rebuilt

I think a lot of the problems at the egates is user error,having someone to actually help would help I'm sure;I asked the guy exactly how to do it yesterday&it actually worked for once,no coincidence I'm sure

The rest of the passport control experience was a fucking shambles though,marching people up&down those string lines whilst they were waiting for people to process at the booths/terminals,people meanwhile queuing from the top of the stairs, embarrassing stuff,you actually think are they doing this to be as awkward as possible?

6 hours ago, highlandmac said:

I think a lot of the problems at the egates is user error,having someone to actually help would help I'm sure;I asked the guy exactly how to do it yesterday&it actually worked for once,no coincidence I'm sure

The rest of the passport control experience was a fucking shambles though,marching people up&down those string lines whilst they were waiting for people to process at the booths/terminals,people meanwhile queuing from the top of the stairs, embarrassing stuff,you actually think are they doing this to be as awkward as possible?

There appears to be no organisation.  It's not the first time when entering the tin shed that it's largely empty, but you still have to walk up and down the lines.  Nobody with the brains to open a shortcut to speed things up.   There's also the usual question of why no dedicated desks for UK passport holders, but that's not the airports problem I guess.

7 hours ago, Burnieman said:

There appears to be no organisation.  It's not the first time when entering the tin shed that it's largely empty, but you still have to walk up and down the lines.  Nobody with the brains to open a shortcut to speed things up.   There's also the usual question of why no dedicated desks for UK passport holders, but that's not the airports problem I guess.

Absolutely this

Given the numbers that were approaching passport control(looked like 3 aircraft full)the sensible thing would be to get the first lot of folk to the booths&machines ASAP but no;they are aware that the whole point of these tape things is that you can proactively funnel people efficiently by opening&closing it?perhaps not

On 16/04/2024 at 10:16, highlandmac said:

swiftly followed by the airports public transport option ripoffs

Its £8 for a return on airport bus, £9 for a return on the tram.

Based on the many countries I have visited, these public transport options are a fucking bargain......................................

4 hours ago, Leith Green said:

Its £8 for a return on airport bus, £9 for a return on the tram.

Based on the many countries I have visited, these public transport options are a fucking bargain......................................

We'll agree to disagree

The  fact that Edinburgh's tram system charges considerably extra only for the airport,a mere 400m from the last stop at ingliston,tells you all you need to know 

16 minutes ago, highlandmac said:

We'll agree to disagree

The  fact that Edinburgh's tram system charges considerably extra only for the airport,a mere 400m from the last stop at ingliston,tells you all you need to know 

You said the public transport options are expensive.

They are demonstrably not.

As a comparison, the Glasgow airport to city return bus journey costs £16..........

11 hours ago, highlandmac said:

We'll agree to disagree

Not unique to Edinburgh - seem to remember certain US and Canadian cities charged more for trips to/from the airport. Not trying to justify or defend it, just pointing out it's not unusual. 

It's airport drop-off/pick-up charges which annoy me more. Well, that and the lack of a rail link to Glasgow Airport.

15 hours ago, Leith Green said:

You said the public transport options are expensive.

They are demonstrably not.

As a comparison, the Glasgow airport to city return bus journey costs £16..........

Glasgow's being a ripoff too doesn't make Edinburghs any better

57 minutes ago, highlandmac said:

Glasgow's being a ripoff too doesn't make Edinburghs any better

I don't think the prices for the bus or tram journeys are a ripoff.

You obviously do - so can you give me an example of any airport that offers 2 public transport options to the city it serves, for less than £8 or £9 return?

Presumably it‘s First & Edinburgh Trams that are setting the pricing for the transport options.

Where both GLA & EDI really take the piss, is with short-term parking charges. Especially those for drop-off / pick-up. 

3 hours ago, Leith Green said:

I don't think the prices for the bus or tram journeys are a ripoff.

You obviously do - so can you give me an example of any airport that offers 2 public transport options to the city it serves, for less than £8 or £9 return?

Sofia,Poznan,Nantes,Lisbon,Porto,Athens,Budapest,Berlin,Marrakesh,Singapore,Warsaw(from Chopin,not modlin),Wroclaw,Málaga;just ones I've been to,plenty more I'm sure