How Fuckin Shite Is Edinburgh Airport

HTG

3 hours ago, Empty It said:

Why are all airport security staff and passport control permanently seething?

They deal with the general public every day,  a very high percentage are utter idiots and then there's the c***s to add onto that.  

Still think one punch per day should be legal and acceptable for all public facing staff.  gives justice to those who deserve it and lets staff relieve stress and able to deal with the minority who are decent better.

4 hours ago, Empty It said:

The airport security woman I encountered in Nova Scotia was so full of stereotypical Canadian politeness it was bordering on offensive.

8 hours ago, Empty It said:

Probably because every night they try to get to sleep, all they hear in their head on repeat is ‘Take out all laptops, iPads, put them in a seperate tray. Remove all belts, any liquids in your bag cunto? Anything in your pockets bawbag?’

Every. Fcuking. Night.

12 hours ago, parsforlife said:

They deal with the general public every day,  a very high percentage are utter idiots and then there's the c***s to add onto that.  

Still think one punch per day should be legal and acceptable for all public facing staff.  gives justice to those who deserve it and lets staff relieve stress and able to deal with the minority who are decent better.

7 hours ago, pozbaird said:

Probably because every night they try to get to sleep, all they hear in their head on repeat is ‘Take out all laptops, iPads, put them in a seperate tray. Remove all belts, any liquids in your bag cunto? Anything in your pockets bawbag?’

Every. Fcuking. Night.

Is it any different to any other job working with the public though?  

1 hour ago, hk blues said:

Is it any different to any other job working with the public though?  

Years ago, a friend of mine who worked in a bank went into Glasgow Central to buy a train ticket. When they got to the front of the queue, instead of saying ‘a return to Paisley Gilmour Street please’, they simply blurted out ‘Good morning, Royal Bank of Scotland’…. So aye, probably the same deal for a lot of folk!

Mind you, when you see how many fannies those airport security staff have to deal with who still shove their hand luggage through with all sorts of prohibited shite in it, despite the constant ‘please remove all laptops, iPads….’ then frankly, it’s a wonder they don’t smack some of them square in the puss’.

• 2 weeks later...

Observations on “EDI”:

1) The airport is taking the piss with gate assignments. They put a big Ryanair flight on 29, and then shoehorn a full-size BA flight next to it at 28. Then they drive both to the other end of the terminal to board. Two gate with full-size Airbuses trying to load while clambering all over each other at the far end of a corridor is bogus.

2) Security is chaotic due to a very poor design to enter the lines.

3) It’s full of morons who walk in to the lounge area from security and simply stop and stare at the departures board. When it says your gate won’t be posted for 30 minutes, go find a f**king seat!

4) The paving around the walkways and such is, well, poor.

First time using FastPark last week, seemed to me to be very good, much better than long-stay which was a similar price.  I presume the price of FastPark will be getting bumped up in future if it proves to be a success in the long-term.

All in all, both experiences were fine, security no bother on the way out, they dealt very patiently with a chap from Nigeria who was informing them he had a waiver from the 100ml liquid limit.  Bags were back within 10 mins on the way back.

(as an aside, Basel was even more efficient)

On 01/01/2024 at 01:48, TxRover said:

Observations on “EDI”:

1) The airport is taking the piss with gate assignments. They put a big Ryanair flight on 29, and then shoehorn a full-size BA flight next to it at 28. Then they drive both to the other end of the terminal to board. Two gate with full-size Airbuses trying to load while clambering all over each other at the far end of a corridor is bogus.

2) Security is chaotic due to a very poor design to enter the lines.

3) It’s full of morons who walk in to the lounge area from security and simply stop and stare at the departures board. When it says your gate won’t be posted for 30 minutes, go find a f**king seat!

4) The paving around the walkways and such is, well, poor.

Gate assignments - thats not just an Edinburgh problem.

2022 flight from Frankfurt to Glasgow. Airport has the Glasgow and Manchester Lufthansa flights at the gates immediately next to each other. Glasgow is flying about 10 minutes earlier than Manchester. Airport has absolutely no queuing barriers set up and nobody keeping the Glasgow and Manchester passengers separate. Not ideal at the best of times. Worse when Lufthansa short haul fights almost never get an air bridge at Frankfurt and are usually bus out to the apron efforts.

• 1 month later...

Landed in Krakow. 50 mins later we had done a 20 minute taxi journey and were in hotel. Back to Edinburgh today and 50 mins later folk still queuing outside to get to passport control- shambles.

• 3 weeks later...

They must have a system that ensures boarding announcements only go out one at a time over the tannoy. This morning it clearly wasn't working as the announcements ran out on top of each other. Chaos.

Incidentally, where do they teach the lassies to speak like that? You see them blethering normally at the gate then they switch on the microphone and speak like a startled ferret swallowing a billiard ball. 

Easyjet just nippily announced a 30 minute delay due to "the usual Edinburgh facilities" 🙄 

3 hours ago, Hard Graft said:

Collected wife at Pick Up point at Glasgow airport. Drove in and out in 3 minutes and charged £5.50.  Robbing Cnuts

It's scandalous. Milan airports all give 15 minutes free to pick up/drop off outside the terminal buildings.

6 hours ago, Hard Graft said:

Collected wife at Pick Up point at Glasgow airport. Drove in and out in 3 minutes and charged £5.50.  Robbing Cnuts

£6 at Bristol. I think Aberdeen might be £10

I noticed they were checking carry on baggage sizes at Edinburgh and I've just been reading some Swissair people saying there's been a crackdown by Easyjet and Ryanair. Apparently not enough money has been getting raised from hold luggage so they're pressurising the Swissair agents to catch more over-sized luggage at the boarding gates. They've been putting "Mystery Shoppers" through the lines to catch staff out who are then disciplined. 

16 minutes ago, Newbornbairn said:

I noticed they were checking carry on baggage sizes at Edinburgh and I've just been reading some Swissair people saying there's been a crackdown by Easyjet and Ryanair. Apparently not enough money has been getting raised from hold luggage so they're pressurising the Swissair agents to catch more over-sized luggage at the boarding gates. They've been putting "Mystery Shoppers" through the lines to catch staff out who are then disciplined. 

Easyjet have massively upped the fees for taking a larger carry on bag to put in the overhead locker, it can be cheaper checking it in.

Edited by welshbairn

8 hours ago, Newbornbairn said:

So if everyone just has a normal size bag they get in trouble? I could understand if there was constantly over weight bags getting on but to go out of your way to find them is ridiculous. Like telling the police they need to catch X amount of speeders a day and then sending unmarked cars to drive over the limit. 

Seems to be random with easyJet in my experience been on two flights to Belfast from Edinburgh recently and bags were sized on one of them - flight was half full, and not on another when the flight was sold out and they were telling everyone every 10 seconds when on board to only use the bins if need be due to the potential lack of space. 

Returns from Belfast were the same, one checked and one not. 

On 08/01/2024 at 18:57, O_Kahn said:

First time using FastPark last week, seemed to me to be very good, much better than long-stay which was a similar price.  I presume the price of FastPark will be getting bumped up in future if it proves to be a success in the long-term.

All in all, both experiences were fine, security no bother on the way out, they dealt very patiently with a chap from Nigeria who was informing them he had a waiver from the 100ml liquid limit.  Bags were back within 10 mins on the way back.

(as an aside, Basel was even more efficient)

We used Fast Park the other week for the Tenerife break.

Piece of piss and cheaper than a taxi both ways.

Security was a doddle (even though I go thru the scanner every time due to a lump of metal in the leg) even allowing for the diddies with bottles in their bags.

We checked in via Jet2 resort checkin in Tenerife which is brilliant - radge taxi driver to airport, ripoff coffee and beer then flight left late but pilot made up time on way home.

Coming back we waltzed through the eGates in about 2 mins -  to the baggage carousel and our bags were first off ! Back out to Fastpark and Bobs yer uncle.

Flying Tue to Tue makes a massive difference.