greatest disappointment following your team

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always thought McGarvey was in the cup winning team in 1987. Obviously not!

Yes he was. Sorry forgot to respond to "was it McGarvey's last game for St.Mirren". It wasn't. From his wikipedia page.

In June 1985 McGarvey rejoined St. Mirren for £80,000. Two years later, he won a third Scottish Cup with them. In total he played 387 times for St Mirren, scoring 125 goals. Later in his career, McGarvey had spells with Dumfries club Queen of the South (where he was player-manager), Clyde (with which he won a Second Division Championship title at the age of 37) andShotts Bon Accord.

Edited to add. He scored in the semi-final in a 2-1 against Hearts.

Losing to nine man dead club in the 2010 League Cup Final. Never felt so hollow, stunned, and dazed after what is only a fitba' match after all. Then, to go against the grain of everything that is 'typical St Mirren', we won the damn thing a mere three seasons later, resigning the memories of 2010 to the bin. Yassss!

Yes he was. Sorry forgot to respond to "was it McGarvey's last game for St.Mirren". It wasn't. From his wikipedia page.

In June 1985 McGarvey rejoined St. Mirren for £80,000. Two years later, he won a third Scottish Cup with them. In total he played 387 times for St Mirren, scoring 125 goals. Later in his career, McGarvey had spells with Dumfries club Queen of the South (where he was player-manager), Clyde (with which he won a Second Division Championship title at the age of 37) andShotts Bon Accord.

Edited to add. He scored in the semi-final in a 2-1 against Hearts.

Ah. Dumbarton fan getting his St Mirren history mixed up shocker!

Losing to nine man dead club in the 2010 League Cup Final. Never felt so hollow, stunned, and dazed after what is only a fitba' match after all. Then, to go against the grain of everything that is 'typical St Mirren', we won the damn thing a mere three seasons later, resigning the memories of 2010 to the bin. Yassss!

That game still hurts though. To have beaten Rangers would have been a little sweeter than beating Hearts. And to lose to 9 men, having been the better side was tough. Plus I'd been to see the Bloody Beetroots in the Arches the night before, and got no sleep. The half bottle of bucky before the game was what got me through, at full time I was a mess. I'd have cried if my ridiculously dehydrated body could have mustered tears.

I still reckon relegation in 2001 was my worst memory. I'd have been 15, it was the first time I'd really seen St.Mirren in the top flight. After the high of 99/00, and the great football we played, I expected us to do ok. How wrong I was. We gave it a good go, Dundee Utd were able to spend their way out of trouble, and we couldn't compete. We were so unlucky with injuries that season as well. From our strike force that won the first division only McGarry played regularly. Lavety was away due to his injury, Mendes moved to Dunfermline, and Yardley was injured for a lot of it. I think I cried after the Aberdeen game, which we won but still got relegated.

deffo the 2010 cup final . I was unlucky enough to have a sevco fan right behind me (yes in the st Mirren end ) I was gagging to hook him but being a gentleman and having the mrs with me I didn't . what a total bunch of fuds most sevco fans are . I suppose there are some decent ones . I just havnt met any yet .

The day the Glasgow mafia go involved at Starks. It was only ever going to go one way and we were being used purely for their illicit means. It almost cost us everything!

East End that day was brutal as has been said as soon as we all say McNeil in goals and Simmons on left wing there was a weird sense of inevitability. I still remember shouting at McNeil for the massive gap he'd left in his wall as Hardie was placing the ball down. It was as obvious as there will be a new day tomorrow where he was going to stick it.

It didn't confine it to the bin for me. Still stings 5 years on.

The only one that's even in the same ballpark - and it's a long-distant second - is losing to another dead club, Gretna in the Scottish cup quarter finals after pumping them senseless at Raydale, missing three sitters and going down to a late Kenny Deuchar winner. Think everyone knew on the way home what a phenomenal opportunity we'd missed out on, given that the Old Firm had gone early doors and most SPL teams had fallen. It really was there for the taking that season.

At least I know both those clubs got their respective doses of karma by dying. :)

The SCQF defeat to Falkirk season . Was utterly convinced we would win this golden chance handed on a plate with a home tie against decent but beatable opponents. Even taking into account the bizarre windy conditions making football almost impossible, I still didn't think we done enough performance wise on the night .

Two spring to mind. Losing at Parkheid in the 4th minute of injury time to Henrik Larsson goal when we were fecking amazing to have come back twice and squandered an earlier chance to go 3-2 up, that was disappointing.

The other was Celtic again, the 2004 semi final of the Scottish cup, reckon we'd have won the cup double that year had we got past them, b*****ds didn't let us play Fernandez against them as he was on loan from them.

Hugh Scott.

Since then, I have never felt worse coming out of a game than balmoor in 2006. The drive home....

Or at stranraer the year before...

Or Stirling the year after...

Love Street challenge cup semi-final penalty shoot out defeat. We had the better of the game then went ahead in the shootout..... Bstrds !!

Or messing up in 2013 when we should have been winning the league with the squad we had...until Colin mcmenamin.......

Going into administration the first time and then for the second time was awful. The first one was expected and we seemed to be doing well in recovering and then that arsepiece Melville came wandering in and fucked it all up, even then the worst day as a Dundee fan was still to follow . Hit with a 25 point deduction I truly believed that we were done, think I went to bed that night at 8pm and didnt sleep a wink.

Obviously we recovered by somehow managing to stay up and then gaining promotion but 2010 was a shit year!

Archived