greatest disappointment following your team

Home draws with Elgin, Montrose and Stirling.

Defeats to Annan and Peterhead.

McCoists signings.

McCoists training.

McCoist as a manager.

Getting humped off Dundee United twice.

0-3 Defeat to ICT at home.

The Challenge cup campaigns.

The Challenge cup final.

Home draws with Stranraer and Stenhousemuir.

Losing to Forfar in the league cup.

Signing every ex-ranger still active.

Failing to hold Hearts to a draw for longer than a minute.

Only beating Alloa once.

Losing a two goal lead to Alloa.

Losing to an amateur US team in pre-season

Needing a replay to beat Albion Rovers

Drawing with Brora Rangers in pre-season

Losing 1-3, 4-0 and 0-2 to Hibs.

5 draws in a row.

Failing to hold a 2-0 lead with 10 mins left at Tyncastle.

Losing at home to Motherwell

Losing away to Motherwell

Losing 6-1 on aggregate to Motherwell

Finishing 3rd

Failing to win promotion.

Not all in order and there is probably more.

Kris Boyd?

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Probably the 2013 League Cup Final. We would have been holders of both cups for a short while.

Although we've done relatively well in Europe for a non Old Firm side in my lifetime, we arguably could and should have done better during Romanov's first few years, as well as being more consistent/dominant domestically.

Also, beating Bordeaux 1-0 in France only to lose 2-0 at Tynecastle was a sore one, thanks in part to one of the best goals I have ever witnessed in the flesh:

They also drew and pumped some utter non-entity Polish side in the third round who now play in their sixth tier. It's obviously all ifs and buts but we could have been looking at UEFA Cup last sixteen football with the likes of Barcelona, Valencia, Newcastle, Liverpool, Inter Milan, Roma, Marseille and Benfica.

Losing to Ferencváros in the groups the following season was shite too.

Strangely, the defeat at East End in 2011 didn't really hurt that much for me. We were always over performing that season and were always going to be an outside bet for the title. Looking back now it's more a sense of relief that we dodged the bullet of getting hammered every week in the SPL and financial difficulties.

My greatest disappointment was the whole Anelka decision. We'd just got ourselves back into the First Division under Calderon and were looking forward to consolidating and a bit of stability. I remember exactly where I was when I picked up the Daily Record and saw the headlines about Anelka. At first I thought it was a joke but then you realised the nuggets on our board were actually serious. A blind man could have told you it was going to be a car crash. And it was. It's only now I think the club is starting to fully recover from that decision and it soured relationships between the club and fans, some beyond repair. absolutely shameful and still disappointments me much more than any half arsed performance on the pitch

Strangely, the defeat at East End in 2011 didn't really hurt that much for me. We were always over performing that season and were always going to be an outside bet for the title. Looking back now it's more a sense of relief that we dodged the bullet of getting hammered every week in the SPL and financial difficulties.

My greatest disappointment was the whole Anelka decision. We'd just got ourselves back into the First Division under Calderon and were looking forward to consolidating and a bit of stability. I remember exactly where I was when I picked up the Daily Record and saw the headlines about Anelka. At first I thought it was a joke but then you realised the nuggets on our board were actually serious. A blind man could have told you it was going to be a car crash. And it was. It's only now I think the club is starting to fully recover from that decision and it soured relationships between the club and fans, some beyond repair. absolutely shameful and still disappointments me much more than any half arsed performance on the pitch

A bit like 9/11 I know exactly where I was too.

I was in my first year Art class when I heard the news. I hadn't been following the Rovers for long but my Art teacher (a massive Pars fan) knew I was a Rover, brought the paper out to show me and had a good giggle at how much he thought it was a daft thing to do. At the time I was too young to really appreciate what was going on but looking back, dear old Mr Reddie was right. What a stupid stupid thing to do.

Other than that...Stephen Simmons on the left wing, Andy McNeil in goals and maybe even the time the Pars pumped us out of the cup at the beginning of this season, I was raging after that game and shifted closer into the Murray out camp, like a lot of other fans did.

Ignoring the Alloa game from the end of this season (still too annoyed to talk about it :lol:) there has been a few disappointments.

My 21st birthday we were playing Dunfermline for the first time in over a decade on league business. We take an early lead through John Dempster and the massive travelling support goes wild. Never seen celebrations like it. Half time whistle goes and it's 1-0 to the Blue Brazil.

Second half and for some reason the Cowden side who were playing well first half suddenly are sitting back and trying to grind out a win. BANG BANG it's 2-1 to Dunfermline and what had started off as being a fantastic day ended with me in a pub in Dunfermline getting the pish ripped out me for how shite we played second half.

Losing 8-0 to Gretna. Now this was surpassed this season but I wasn't at the Hearts game so this one is worse. 6-0 down at half time and Mark Birch (right back) had scored a hat trick. An awful game.

Colin Hardie. Stranraer away. Possibly 10 fans on the supporters club bus including myself for the long trek. Nothing is really happening in the game until a low cross into our box is turned into the net by our captain Innes Ritchie under pressure from a Stranraer striker. Thankfully the linesman has his flag up - the person challenging Innes was offside.

For some reason though Hardie decides to overrule the linesman and award the goal. 4 hours on a bus for us to lose because of that w**ker. It wasn't an important game or anything but I will never forget that bus journey home.

And last but not least - Brian Welsh. :thumbsdown

Worst thing about that game must have been that most Pars fans were just miffed we'd only beaten Cowdenbeath 2-1.

Aye, you were all expecting to not win the title when you were top of the league for months...

Yes, but although it was pretty dispiriting doing that, few of the games stand out as massive disappointments, probably because disappointment requires some hope in the first place and works less well from a stance of resignation.

The way things have generally gone since 2002 have largely made up for the dross that came before it, and in some ways made me appreciate the good times that bit more, but thinking back to it, my god there was some dross.

A few of my badges of honour that made things like promotion, the cup run, the UEFA cup, etc all the sweeter...

Queens 0-7 Livingston

Queens 0-7 Alloa

Queens 1-6 Alloa

Queens 0-7 Stirling (my record for leaving a game early: 30-35 mins in with us already 5-0 down if I remember right.)

Queens 0-5 Stranraer

Queens 3-8 Forfar

Queens 0-6 Kilmarnock (the day they ended up relegated anyway thanks to a late Clyde goal)

Queens 2-6 Ross County (with them still a Highland League team and me still young enough to go to the game expecting us to brush a team like that aside with ease - possibly the most painful of the lot).

Finishing third bottom of the old second division (after being second bottom pretty much the entire season).

The Harkness era and all that went with it in general. Season after season where singing at games basically amounted to chanting 'Harkness must go' and similar. I remember towards the end of it watching a game against Albion Rovers from the seats immediately behind the directors' box alongside 20-30 others, and spending the game waving a banner and screaming abuse at the directors from a few feet away. I think he finally called it a day after that. Also various managers getting the bullet with the directors picking the team instead, the V-sign business away to East Stirling, the directors not informing anyone that the kick off had been changed to 2pm at the same game, etc, etc. It was grim.

The Hamilton 15 point deduction season - playing Stenny in a game that at the time seemed do-or-die (Hamilton got their deduction a few days later), the players looking uninterested and surrendering easily to a 2-0 defeat. Actually the fact that staying up that season thanks to Hamilton's deduction amounted to one of the most enjoyable moments as a Queens fan to that date said something about the general state of the club in that era.

Probably lots of others if I spent some more time reminiscing.

Edit to add one more: Clydebank 4-0 Queens, a couple of days after our first Challenge Cup final. The game was at Boghead in front of 2-300 fans, the Queens bus turned up late, we had two players sent off in the first half hour, and it absolutely pissed it down relentlessly all evening. I'd been going on about Queens to a group of friends at University and chose that as the game to finally drag them along to. The whole experience was pretty much pub league standard. And here was me showing my friends the amazing hobby I had. Football at its most trainspotterish, or at least that's how it probably looked.

The way things have generally gone since 2002 have largely made up for the dross that came before it, and in some ways made me appreciate the good times that bit more, but thinking back to it, my god there was some dross.

A few of my badges of honour that made things like promotion, the cup run, the UEFA cup, etc all the sweeter...

Queens 0-7 Livingston

Queens 0-7 Alloa

Queens 1-6 Alloa

Queens 0-7 Stirling (my record for leaving a game early: 30-35 mins in with us already 5-0 down if I remember right.)

Queens 0-5 Stranraer

Queens 3-8 Forfar

Queens 0-6 Kilmarnock (the day they ended up relegated anyway thanks to a late Clyde goal)

Queens 2-6 Ross County (with them still a Highland League team and me still young enough to go to the game expecting us to brush a team like that aside with ease - possibly the most painful of the lot).

Finishing third bottom of the old second division (after being second bottom pretty much the entire season).

The Harkness era and all that went with it in general. Season after season where singing at games basically amounted to chanting 'Harkness must go' and similar. I remember towards the end of it watching a game against Albion Rovers from the seats immediately behind the directors' box alongside 20-30 others, and spending the game waving a banner and screaming abuse at the directors from a few feet away. I think he finally called it a day after that. Also various managers getting the bullet with the directors picking the team instead, the V-sign business away to East Stirling, the directors not informing anyone that the kick off had been changed to 2pm at the same game, etc, etc. It was grim.

The Hamilton 15 point deduction season - playing Stenny in a game that at the time seemed do-or-die (Hamilton got their deduction a few days later), the players looking uninterested and surrendering easily to a 2-0 defeat. Actually the fact that staying up that season thanks to Hamilton's deduction amounted to one of the most enjoyable moments as a Queens fan to that date said something about the general state of the club in that era.

Yes all of these and as you say others would be easy to add.

The week after we lost 8-3 at Forfar we beat Arbroath 6-0 in the game which Tommy Bryce scored his quickfire treble.

The 6-2 defeat by highland league Ross County was particularly painful as one of my flatmates at uni was from Dingwall. Unforgiveable.

The week after we lost 8-3 at Forfar we beat Arbroath 6-0 in the game which Tommy Bryce scored his quickfire treble.

The 6-2 defeat by highland league Ross County was particularly painful as one of my flatmates at uni was from Dingwall. Unforgiveable.

Some funny scores there! My in laws are from Dumfries and one of them told me queens have a habit of beating two or three of the top half teams then losing to one of the smaller ones, sore one for the local bookies....

Absolutely. Imagine being friends with someone from Dingwall...

Queens 0-7 Livingston

Queens 0-7 Alloa

Queens 1-6 Alloa

Queens 0-5 Stranraer

Queens 3-8 Forfar

Edit to add one more: Clydebank 4-0 Queens, a couple of days after our first Challenge Cup final. The game was at Boghead in front of 2-300 fans, the Queens bus turned up late, we had two players sent off in the first half hour, and it absolutely pissed it down relentlessly all evening. I'd been going on about Queens to a group of friends at University and chose that as the game to finally drag them along to. The whole experience was pretty much pub league standard. And here was me showing my friends the amazing hobby I had. Football at its most trainspotterish, or at least that's how it probably looked.

Some good ones in there, right enough.

That defeat at Stenhousemuir was particularly awful, even eclipsing some of the other hammerings you refer to.

Home draws with Elgin, Montrose and Stirling.

Defeats to Annan and Peterhead.

McCoists signings.

McCoists training.

McCoist as a manager.

Getting humped off Dundee United twice.

0-3 Defeat to ICT at home.

The Challenge cup campaigns.

The Challenge cup final.

Home draws with Stranraer and Stenhousemuir.

Losing to Forfar in the league cup.

Signing every ex-ranger still active.

Failing to hold Hearts to a draw for longer than a minute.

Only beating Alloa once.

Losing a two goal lead to Alloa.

Losing to an amateur US team in pre-season

Needing a replay to beat Albion Rovers

Drawing with Brora Rangers in pre-season

Losing 1-3, 4-0 and 0-2 to Hibs.

5 draws in a row.

Failing to hold a 2-0 lead with 10 mins left at Tyncastle.

Losing at home to Motherwell

Losing away to Motherwell

Losing 6-1 on aggregate to Motherwell

Finishing 3rd

Failing to win promotion.

Not all in order and there is probably more.

Kenny Miller has another season ? .

March 2000

A rainy Greenock evening in front of around 100 fans

We were chasing promotion

Clydebank 2 - Raith Rovers 1.

It was their only league win of the season

In retrospect i'm sort of glad I was at the game. Its one of those, I'm a hardcore football fan, I was there moments. Probably didn't help that a Clydebank supporting friend called me 10 mins after the game with only laughter on the other end of the phone.

I think my earliest one was losing th semi final to Airdrie, fucking Airdrie! I hadn't even heard of them.

Losing to Falkirk at brockville in Rousset's first game to put us bottom.

6-2 game :(

Only winning the championship by twenty points!

What one? 92 or 95. Wee Doddies Diamonds had your team in their back pocket for a couple of years esp in the cups. Also put you out in an earlier round at Broomfield a season or two before. Anyway my worst moment probably at Tynecastle and that fu###r Syme. I'd spit on him if he walked past me.

• 2 weeks later...

Hammarby IF Hammarby.gifSweden
23 October 1985
2nd Round, 1st Leg
Söderstadion
Attendance: 4,340

Hammarby 3 St Mirren 3

Andersson2 Gallagher3

Lundin

HQFLSt_mirren.gif

Team:-
Campbell Money, Tommy Wilson, Derek Hamilton, Jim Rooney, Neil Cooper, Steve Clarke, Tony Fitzpatrick, Kenny McDowall (Peter Mackie), Frank McGarvey, Brian Gallagher, Gardner Speirs

Hammarbyaway.jpg

Swedensvg.jpg

Hammarbyhome.jpg

HQFLSt_mirren.gif

6th November 1985
2nd Round, 2nd Leg
Love Street
Attendance: 11,728

St Mirren 1 Hammarby 2

McGarvey Iversson2

Hammarby IF Hammarby.gifSweden
Team:-
Campbell Money, Tommy Wilson, Derek Hamilton, Jim Rooney(Billy Abercromby), Peter Godfrey, Steve Clarke,
Tony Fitzpatrick, Peter Mackie, Frank McGarvey(Kenny McDowall), Brian Gallagher, Gardner Speirs
Both Hammarby’s goals came in the final three minutes! They also had one ruled off-side in between!
AND TO BOOT IT WAS FECKING FREEZING!!!!

Archived