Organ Donor Opt Out Bill

The NHS will be privatised soon enough.

True.

You'll be dead someday too, but I bet you still go to the doctor when you start pissing blood :P

True.

You'll be dead someday too, but I bet you still go to the doctor when you start pissing blood :P

Never started pissing blood.

My point is that when the NHS is privatised who will profit from the use of my organs?

Why should some private company use my bits to profit?

This is akin to the government claiming that when a cow dies they should automatically get a cut from the farmer to sell to the butcher.

EDIT or maybe a wee bit more like if a cow dies then the butcher gets the offal for free.

Edited by stonedsailor

Never started pissing blood.

My point is that when the NHS is privatised who will profit from the use of my organs?

Why should some private company use my bits to profit?

This is akin to the government claiming that when a cow dies they should automatically get a cut from the farmer to sell to the butcher.

EDIT or maybe a wee bit more like if a cow dies then the butcher gets the offal for free.

Aye. It's not privatised yet though, and you could always opt out when it is. But you already know that.

• 5 years later...

Bump!

This came in to effect this week I believe (or is about to?).

Good stuff I say. Have yet to hear a single decent argument against it. If you care so much about people in need not getting help from something you'll never use (what with you being dead) then it's easy enough to opt out of.

Edited by DA Baracus

Top stuff. The only folk who'll be opting out will be the people whose religion tells them they'll need their bits and bobs when Starlord raises them from the grave. Well, that and the conspiracy theorists who think the doctors will let them die just to get their hands on their precious bodily fluids (hint: that's not the reason your doctor doesn't want you to live).

It will be lovely to live in a country where people don't die because someone else didn't bother to sign a form before they kicked off.

55 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Bump!

This came in to effect this week I believe (or is about to?).

Good stuff I say. Have yet to hear a single decent argument about it. If you care so much about people in need not getting help from something you'll never use (what with you being dead) then it's easy enough to opt out of.

I would like to introduce an amendment in which anybody opting out is instantly killed and their organs used immediately. Win-win.

My wife actually opted out the other week. Was extremely surprised by this as its really not like her. She's given blood on a number of occasions and she's not even remotely religious. I suppose it's a completely personal thing, but I was pretty taken aback. 

I think this law is fantastic personally and will hopefully start saving lives ASAP 

12 minutes ago, madwullie said:

My wife actually opted out the other week. Was extremely surprised by this as its really not like her. She's given blood on a number of occasions and she's not even remotely religious. I suppose it's a completely personal thing, but I was pretty taken aback. 

I think this law is fantastic personally and will hopefully start saving lives ASAP 

Did you ask her why? Unless it’s a bonkers religious thing, then genuinely interested to know why people would opt out.

28 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Did you ask her why? Unless it’s a bonkers religious thing, then genuinely interested to know why people would opt out.

There’s something pretty unnatural about the idea of your internal organs being taken out of your body after you have died I suppose. We were all born and lived our lives with our organs intact so I can understand why people don’t want to be divided in several pieces after they die.

I’m very relaxed about this.  Never got round to it but delighted that it’s mandatory.  I like the idea that any organs from my decrepit body might be of help to someone.

Just need to have the conversation with Mrs Granny now to let her know my wishes.

8 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I’m very relaxed about this.  Never got round to it but delighted that it’s mandatory.  I like the idea that any organs from my decrepit body might be of help to someone.

Just need to have the conversation with Mrs Granny now to let her know my wishes.

Oh, I think she'll have been considering your disposal longer than you have.