Country Ranking gone from 10th to 23rd in past ten years

tarapoa

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So of the 4 teams in Europe, so far only Aberdeen have had a good result - by this I mean progressing by a team we're not expected to. Just like last season.

When was the last time Celtic won a European tie they would not be favourites for btw? I can't think

Of a good result since they beat Barca 5 years ago or whatever.

They're pish in Europe.

It shows you how far Scottish football has fallen when the mighty Aberdeen beating a Croatian team no-one has ever heard of is considered a good result, before being dumped out by a team from Kazakstan.

It shows you how far Scottish football has fallen when the mighty Aberdeen beating a Croatian team no-one has ever heard of is considered a good result, before being dumped out by a team from Kazakstan.

I'd heard of them.

And this team from Kazakhstan had a significantly bigger budget than Aberdeen.

We greatly outperformed expectations this season, it was a tremendous campaign.

Your ignorance of European football doesn't change that.

It shows you how far Scottish football has fallen when the mighty Aberdeen beating a Croatian team no-one has ever heard of is considered a good result

I'd heard of them.

Maybe ask Feyenoord, Standard Liege and Sevilla fans if they have too.

I'd heard of them.

And this team from Kazakhstan had a significantly bigger budget than Aberdeen.

We greatly outperformed expectations this season, it was a tremendous campaign.

Your ignorance of European football doesn't change that.

bigger budget means f**k all, just ask last nights mob that cunted it up again while spending a mere 37million quid a year :lol:

bigger budget means f**k all, just ask last nights mob that cunted it up again while spending a mere 37million quid a year :lol:

Of course it does!

The Celtic result was terrible, they massively underachieved. Just like they overachieved when they beat Barcelona.

But aye, I was expecting to be beat by a team attracting the likes of Anatoliy Tymoshchuk whilst our marquee oldie is Barry Robson.

Of course it does!

The Celtic result was terrible, they massively underachieved. Just like they overachieved when they beat Barcelona.

But aye, I was expecting to be beat by a team attracting the likes of Anatoliy Tymoshchuk whilst our marquee oldie is Barry Robson.

i was jesting, just fancied another cheap shot at last nights CL failures :lol:

Dear god. A post that sums up how far Scottish football has fallen.

I don't actually think we have fallen, more that others (especially the biggest leagues) have gotten better / more dominant.

Aberdeen will never win another European trophy. Neither with any Hungarian or Romanian team. It's unlikely Ajax ever will, and certainly not the CL.

C'est la vie. By any objective measure Aberdeens European performance was far above expectation. Deal with it.

I'd think it's an attitude most prevalent in older supporters. As I've noted before, a few years ago I was at a friendly the same night St Johnstone lost to Bursaspor, and a group of men in their 50s/60s along from me thought it appalling that our clubs were losing to teams from Russia/Turkey/Greece...

Since the 1980s the iron curtain has come down and the Warsaw Pact collapsed, the Bosman ruling come in and satellite TV started.

Our long head-start in having a nationwide league, and professional one to boot, has also been long eroded.

We're a small nation - albeit with excellent crowds, reasonable income, some decent players and good infrastructure - and we do OK for ourselves.

By the same token we should be looking for Celtic to beat Malmo and our smaller entrants to avoid slip-ups.

I'd think it's an attitude most prevalent in older supporters. As I've noted before, a few years ago I was at a friendly the same night St Johnstone lost to Bursaspor

Standards are slipping like the coefficient, the fans of Eskisehirspor hate Bursaspor, which is a good 2 hour drive from Eskisehir. Our bus passed Bursa on the way to the game so I am certain we did not play them.

Fully agree however on the point re older fans thinking our teams should beat everyone East of the old Iron curtain.

This is the new stadium under construction in Eskisehir, Now bar Rangers and Celtic would any Scottish team build as big a ground and to be honest bar some Saints fans no one in Scotland has ever heard of Eskisehirspor!

89707303_fXfxfCUalRlrn4Q1vuPtOGuYbjWnsV9

89707303_CYUalPrTka8bjpQF7Bggz3-2seNicRT

It's just ridiculous ignorance to say that Aberdeen have done anything other than very well in Europe for the last two seasons. Even ICT performed admirably against a side that went on to beat a team from 'the greatest league in the world' TM SKY.

Uefa, in terms of countries and probably area, is about twice the size it was 20-30 years ago, hence more teams to beat and longer journeys.

Consider this. Euro 92 had 8 teams, lasted 17 days and had only 4 venues with only 15 games. Only 33 countries entered qualifying.

Euro 2016 will have 51 games over 31 days with 24 teams and 10 venues. 53 teams are trying to qualify.

Anyone notice why it's harder for our game to stand up on the European/International stage.

At the end of the qualification phase the Scottish teams have lost a total of 4 of the 16 matches played, yet each of these loses has been enough to send the team out of their respective competitions.

Our teams don't win enough games and when they do they tend not to win big and as was pointed out earlier in this thread the lack of home and away victories in single ties is incredible.

If it were a league after 16 games 6 wins , 6 draws and 4 losses would see us in the top half but not challenging. At least these results put points on the board.

A favourable draw for Celtic and then a good results will hopefully see this season bring stability.

This is the new stadium under construction in Eskisehir, Now bar Rangers and Celtic would any Scottish team build as big a ground and to be honest bar some Saints fans no one in Scotland has ever heard of Eskisehirspor!

89707303_fXfxfCUalRlrn4Q1vuPtOGuYbjWnsV9

89707303_CYUalPrTka8bjpQF7Bggz3-2seNicRT

New stadiums thread for this pish ;)

Very impressive though, never knew they were getting a new stadium.

I notice the "diddy" Kazakhstan league is now at the stage of teams getting into the CL GS - see Astana (nae the cycling team apparently).

Kairat play Bordeaux (3.45 k.o.) - they're 0-1 from France last week, and I'd expect them to be edged out, but will be surprised if it's a pumping.

Also, that's BATE Borisov from Belarus through to CL GS yet again.

As the other poster said - all these countries that used to be grouped into the USSR, Yugoslavia or Czechoslovakia tend to produce handy sides - it really is much tougher these days.

I hope we can improve our country ranking in years to come, but UEFA seem to have designed it so it gets tougher each year.

Archived