Country Ranking gone from 10th to 23rd in past ten years

tarapoa

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Well thats it all over folks. Cant drop any further down the coefficient tables ..................... at least until next season.

With the likes of Azerbijan, Serbia, Kahzakstan etc below us, things dont look good. They could potentially catch us and force us further down the table if we have another horror show of a season.

Well in seasons to come we can look forward to seeing teams playing first round qualifiers in June.

Although it has been a disastrous showing from Celtic there is a very noticeable gap - larger than any outside the top few places and the bottom few in the whole 54 nation ranking - between ourselves in 25th and the trailing leagues below.

In addition, the score that drops off next season is the lowest of our 5.

There is also no difference in slots and start points between 19th-25th.

In these respects it's not a disaster, but improvements would be welcome.

Azerbaijan and Kazakhstan could catch up over the next couple years, as their coefficient over the last 3 years is higher than ours. But Israel and Cyprus should drop behind us.

We are probably stuck around 25 for a long time, though.

In addition, the score that drops off next season is the lowest of our 5.

No coincidence thats the only season we've not been involved in IMO

Would have to go with my gut feeling and say Sevco. First year in Europe they will splash some cash and strengthen to try and reach the group stages.

I wonder, lets say they win the cup and get the spot, would they be able to enter Europa league because of fair play? They've been losing so much money.

I wonder, lets say they win the cup and get the spot, would they be able to enter Europa league because of fair play? They've been losing so much money.

Good point. But hard too see them being barred from entry as there is a number of clubs out there that have incurred big losses for years and played in euro competitions. i.e Man City, PSG, etc.

Since Scottish involvement in senior European football has ended for another season, I think we should reflect at how crap everyone is.

Celtic
Champions League: Pretty much the worst they could do, beating Icelandic and Azerbajiani teams is fine, to then lose to the 7th team in Sweden is poor. Especially given the money Celtic spend each transfer window.
Europa League: Group A was tough. However, Celtic should be good enough to have won at least 2 home matches. I only saw the highlights, but FFS Celtic's defending was atrocious.

Aberdeen

After two disappointing draws against FK Shkéndija, a great 3-0 victory over HNK Rijenka was probably the peak of Scotland's European antics this season. However, the loss to Kairat Almaty is shocking, obviously teams in Kazakhstan are improving with money being pumped into them but if Aberdeen are good enough to beat Groningen and Rijenka then they should be good enough to beat FC Kairat.

St Johnstone
Saints have established themselves in Europe with wins over Luzern and Rosenberg, so Alashkert, the 2nd lowest ranked team in Europe should have been a breeze. Losing 1-0 in Armenia is bad, but in Perth you expect St Johnstone to give them a hammering. 2-1 FFS. Losses to teams like Alashkert is why our coefficient is so bad, and will not improve.

Inverness CT

The one team from the four in Europe that has an excuse. Drawing FC Astra, who beat Celtic a couple of years ago IIRC, was always going to be difficult, especially being the first time Inverness had played in Europe. Losing at home in Europe is cardinal sin... but to get a draw away in Romania is still a decent achievement. It's a shame as in a game against a reserve West Ham side, you would have given ICT a chance.

I don't like to admit it but sevco need promotion. Celtic will spend more money to get the quality players and for a coefficient point of view do better in Europe. They are really missing van dijk for me.

Aberdeen and hearts if they can keep their key players might make the groups but as we all know as soon as clubs have even a half decent prospect old firm or English sides swoop in and clubs are generally powerless to resist.

Hope next season is better for Scottish clubs but won't hold my breath

As regards cup holders dropping to EL QR1 - they almost certainly won't, as those places get upgraded if Title Holder slots aren't used.

There are plenty of cup winners across Europe that enter at the 1st round.

being 25th means we are most likely going to have 3 in Q1.

No it won't. It didn't this season, it won't next season, and it probably won't in more than about 1 in 10 future seasons either.

As of this season countries that finish 24 - 54 in the Euro Coefficient will have their Cup winners and League placed teams enter at Q1 of the Europa League.

Seeing as we are 25th at the end of this season and unlikely to get up the table anytime soon we will probably have a few years of 3 Q1 teams as of the 2017-18 season.

Go check out the new format for the Europa League that was brought in this season if you dont believe me.

I'm well aware of the new format that was introduced this year.

The initial entry list has countries 24-54 entering teams at QR1 but, as HibeeJibee has already pointed out, in reality this will not be the case in most seasons. However, a spot is held back in the group stage for the title holders, and this spot is hardly ever used. It wasn't used this year, and it probably won't be in most future seasons. That means that the cup winners from countries 24 and 25 move up into QR2.

That may all completely irrelevant anyway, because as of next season the rules will be tweaked slightly - the 3 Fair Play spots will no longer be awarded. That will probably mean a slight tweak to the entry list

Aberdeen

After two disappointing draws against FK Shkéndija, a great 3-0 victory over HNK Rijenka was probably the peak of Scotland's European antics this season. However, the loss to Kairat Almaty is shocking, obviously teams in Kazakhstan are improving with money being pumped into them but if Aberdeen are good enough to beat Groningen and Rijenka then they should be good enough to beat FC Kairat.

e.

Just because they're from Kazakstan and you'd never heard of them, does not make it a "shocking" result.

Kairat finished a point behind Astana this season, who, unlike Celtic, made it through three qualifying rounds to get to the champions league, and rather than being the group whipping boys they only lost twice - away to Atletico Madrid and Benfica.

They were nothing special, certainly, but Aberdeen were always the underdog in the tie and losing narrowly on aggregate was what most neutrals would have predicted.

Archived