Country Ranking gone from 10th to 23rd in past ten years

tarapoa

I hope we can improve our country ranking in years to come, but UEFA seem to have designed it so it gets tougher each year.

erm except in the CL

the scottish champions, while having to play more games, have a significantly easier time now than they did 5-10 years ago

put it this way, tony mowbray had to play dynamo moscow then arsenal to get to the CL

ronny deila had to play qarabag and malmo

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of the 102 sides that entered the Europa league at qualifying round 1 only 2 (Rosenborg & Gabala) have progressed all the way to the group stage.

Just shows it's almost impossible for our clubs to reach the groups when entering the competition so early.

erm except in the CL

the scottish champions, while having to play more games, have a significantly easier time now than they did 5-10 years ago

put it this way, tony mowbray had to play dynamo moscow then arsenal to get to the CL

The "Champions route" was explicitly created to make it easier for clubs like Celtic (and as it turns out Malmo)

erm except in the CL

The "Champions route" was explicitly created to make it easier for clubs like Celtic (and as it turns out Malmo)

So reading the latest coefficient points table Romania up in 15th are all out for the season so it's good chance now to close the gap a little bit will do nothing for us this year or next but may be useful 3-5 years down the line how well we can do this season and seasons to come

If Norway and Denmark push us down to 25th. I think that means the 3 Europa League entrants will go into Q1 which will begin right after the Euro Championship finishes.

Lets hope Aberdeen, Hearts and Sevco make it then.

If Norway and Denmark push us down to 25th. I think that means the 3 Europa League entrants will go into Q1 which will begin right after the Euro Championship finishes.

Lets hope Aberdeen, Hearts and Sevco make it then.

Changes come into force a year ahead i.e. in 2017, i.e. for the Europa League 2017-18. It has to be like that so clubs know what they're playing for the preceding season. Dropping to 24th or 25th would in theory see all 3 teams entering in QR1, but in practice the title holder place is likely to go unused, so dropping to 26th would be the point to worry.

We're also close behind Denmark currently who've only Midtjylland left in tough EL group.

It's most easily explained by simply looking at the Access List chart.

http://kassiesa.home.xs4all.nl/bert/uefa/access2015.html

Note that the highlighted blocks show where teams get moved up due to titleholder slots going unused (plus the 3x Fair Play places but those have now been abolished).

As you can see no difference 19-25, and big difference comes at 15.

Just goes to show the importance of being in the top 15, obviously these countries have better teams than us but the raw stats say that the top 15 countries account for 42 of the 60 clubs left in Europe and only 7 of the remaining 18 came from countries outwith the top 25 at the start of this season and only 1 of that 7 are in the CL (Astana)

I also didn't realise that theoretically there could be as few as two places in the CL groups for teams outwith the top 15. If the champions of 13-15 qualify then that's 30 places taken up by the top 15. Astonishing.

• 2 weeks later...

With 3 points (or more) needed to overhaul us I would be surprised if Azerbaijan, Serbia or Kazakhstan managed to surpass us - even with Azerbaijan still having 2 clubs on the go.

It remains possible for us to catch Denmark or Norway - although having thought Midtjylland had a very tough group they promptly went on to win their opener against Legia Warsaw. Also the fact that Norway have got 2 clubs left, and Molde managed a surprising win at Fenerbahce, doesn't help and if Molde can get results v Celtic we'll struggle.

However ranking anywhere from 19th to 25th makes no difference, anyway.

23rd is poor but I remember even when we were 10th people were saying Scottish football was a laughing stock and all our teams were shite etc. Some things really never change.

Realistically unless the tribute act financially dope their way back to the top and Celtic respond with reckless spending of their own we're not likely to hit 10th anytime. I think 15-20 is our level, somewhere in that bracket.

Now down to 24th as Norway overtake us.

http://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/country/index.html

If I've understood correctly (and there's every chance I haven't), if we drop two more places then the Cup winners join the 2nd and 3rd placed teams in Q1 of the Europa League (instead of Q2) for 2017/18.

Bert Kassies has us as 25th. In theory your scenario could happen at 24th but in practice it would be unusual for the title holder slots to be used hence the real cut-off is 26th. However given the sizeable gap between ourselves and Azerbaijan, Serbia and Kazakhstan (over 3 points which equates to no fewer than 6 groupstages wins for example) it will take something pretty remarkable from any of those countries to overtake us.

Obviously the aim is to be going up, though, so we need Celtic to get going.

Archived