Country Ranking gone from 10th to 23rd in past ten years

tarapoa

I suppose we really need the Dons to make it to the group stage to have a shot at matching last season's total now, right?

Must admit that I'm starting to find this coefficient business more intriguing that the actual football now, which is sort of depressing.

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last season we got 16pts, contributed by:

* Celtic - 10.5pts - 3.5pts in qualifiers, 6pts in EL groupstage, 1pt in EL knockouts

* Aberdeen - 3.5pts in qualifiers

* St Johnstone - 1.5pts in qualifiers

* Motherwell - 0.5pts in qualifiers

This season we're on 7.5pts, almost halfway, contributed by:

* Celtic - 3.5pts in qualifiers

* Aberdeen - 2.5pts in qualifiers

* St Johnstone - 1pt in qualifiers

* Inverness - 0.5pts in qualifiers

If Celtic got to CL groups just on away goals / margin of goals - e.g. by 2 draws, or 1 win & 1 loss - then they would get another 1pt plus 4pts bonus, taking us up to 12.5pts. If they managed only 1 win & draw in those groups and even finished bottom, we'd hit 15.5pts and that's before considering any further contributions from Aberdeen.

If on the other hand Celtic were to lose in CL QR4 and only draw one of the legs they'd only get 0.5pts. To hit the same sort of total would need their resulting EL groupstage (and potentially knockout) campaign to be pretty good, therefore - 3 wins & 2 draws, for example, would get us to 16pts in this scenario again before considering any further contributions from Aberdeen.

I'm sure HibeeJibee went over this previously in the thread, and the numbers make my head go funny, but our weakest year from the ones used will be discounted for next season :thumsup2

As mentioned elsewhere, the Dutch look like they'll be taking a big tumble in the rankings next season, unless they have an absolute stoater this year.

How many point are we 'loosing' next season from the points we won four years ago? It's that total we really need to beat this season.

We are losing our lowest points. 2.75 if i remember correctly.

You should also think of it in terms of where we want to be, and use that as an annual target.

To get 2 CL slots means reaching 15th. At the end of last season that was Romania on 26.299 - i.e. requires about 21pts per season if being provided by 4 clubs. That looks fairly out of reach just now... as none of our recent seasons hit that mark, and it requires a substantial uplift even on last season and our realistic goal for this season.

More realistic might be 17th (where EL slots are distributed 1x QR3, 1x QR2, 1x QR1) - or 18th which often gets the cup winner slot uplifted due to title holder places going unused. At the end of last season those were occupied by Croatia and Cyprus on 23.500 and 22.300 respectively - i.e. requiring a more attainable 19pts to 17pts sort of range.

I know this thread is about the country coefficiant but I have a question about the club coefficiant. I don't really understand it I have read how it's calculated a few times but I just don't understand how the club table looks. For example Birmingham city and Fulham are relatively high in the table top 100 clubs yet haven't represented their country in Europe for few years so shouldn't they have slipped much much further down the table. Rangers are 113 yet haven't represented for quite few years yet teams like Aberdeen and new saints of Wales etc who have been in Europe and playing are below such teams and by quite some margin. Like arsenal are 7th. There is no way they are 7th best club in Europe IMO but yeah can anyone help me get my head round it please

Guest DAVIDB69

Needs a decent season again as I noticed we have now fallen another place to 24th now.

24th means all Europa league qualifiers are in from the first round proper in early July.

Yet we still finish the season at the end of May

I know this thread is about the country coefficiant but I have a question about the club coefficiant. I don't really understand it I have read how it's calculated a few times but I just don't understand how the club table looks. For example Birmingham city and Fulham are relatively high in the table top 100 clubs yet haven't represented their country in Europe for few years so shouldn't they have slipped much much further down the table. Rangers are 113 yet haven't represented for quite few years yet teams like Aberdeen and new saints of Wales etc who have been in Europe and playing are below such teams and by quite some margin. Like arsenal are 7th. There is no way they are 7th best club in Europe IMO but yeah can anyone help me get my head round it please

Each club gets 20% of their country's coefficient, so even if an English team hasn't played they'll still get a better coefficient than most.

Unless it's the same thing there is also something known as the 'base coefficient' provided from your country which you can't drop below. That's why a team from one of the top countries can make their European debut yet be seeded... their country's base coefficient is enough to seed them on its own.

Arsenal I'm presuming will be so high as they've often come through CL QR4/qualified directly, and consistently make Last 16, hoovering up bonuses?

Well we got another 0.5pts tonight which brings us up to a round 8pts. So if we want to hit the target of 16pts we need the same again off Celtic alone.

Needs a decent season again as I noticed we have now fallen another place to 24th now.

24th means all Europa league qualifiers are in from the first round proper in early July.

Yet we still finish the season at the end of May

We haven't fallen anywhere. We're 24th in the "as it stands" table for 2015/16, but Celtic can still accumulate points in that table and we could still overtake a lot of other countries.

Pretty much every country in Europe finishes their season at the end of May.

Well that's 3 out of Scotland`s 4 teams gone already. Pretty piss poor really.

It's not great but the whole system needs changed. The second best team in Scotland shouldn't have to play 4 teams to just get into the group stages of the Europa League and the best team in Scotland 3 teams to get into the Champions League.

Well we got another 0.5pts tonight which brings us up to a round 8pts. So if we want to hit the target of 16pts we need the same again off Celtic alone.

You'd like to think that's achievable. 1 point at least from the playoff round, 4 bonus points for the CL group stage. Then a win & a draw in the group itself. Fingers crossed.

The system maybe broke, but we are not really doing ourselfs any favours by still avoiding summer football.

Our teams are not fit enough, sharp enough, good enough to play against some of these obscure teams around europe. Especially in high tempertures and long journeys.

Europa League and Champions League qualifiers start at the end of June/start of July. And we will be finding our teams entering the Q1 and Q2 stages on a regualar basis. So why dont we bring the league and cups forward 2/3 weeks? Clubs will start preperations for these games earlier in the year and players will be much fitter for these early rounds of the qualifiers. Could be the extra edge our teams need to win more games and progress further.

Archived