Country Ranking gone from 10th to 23rd in past ten years

tarapoa

While I do hope Inverness can do something in Romania, its more important for the coefficient that both Celtic and Aberdeen not only get through but win again this week. Bar Aberdeen in last years first round how many non old firm teams have won both legs in the last few years, all those extra 0.125 or 0.25 points do add up.

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Made this broad point before myself. With the coefficient points being earnt on results, not progression (except for CL groups or sharp end of knockout stages), it's important to win both legs where we can. Since 2002-03 our clubs, bar Celtic, have won both legs of knockout ties remarkably seldom:

Aberdeen - v Daugava (EL '14-15)

Celtic - v Suduva, v Blackburn (UC '02-03); v Kaunas, v Hungaria (CL '03-04); v Braga (CL '10-11); v Sion (CL '11-12 award); v Helsinki, Helsingborg (CL '12-13); v Cliftonville (CL '13-14); v Reykjavik (CL '14-15)

Dundee - v Vlaznia (UC '03-04)

Hibs - v Dinaburg (IC '06-07)

Motherwell - v Breidalbik (EL '10-11)

Rangers - v Famagusta (CL '05-06), v Zeta (CL '07-08)

Of course it's one of the cyclical effects of dropping down the coefficient table... you meet weaker opposition who are more easily beaten.

I have a feeling McInnes will be content with Thursday being the dullest match ever, just to try and avoid giving them any hope and sending us into panic mode.

Best bets are probably 0-0 or even 0-1, which sadly does nothing for the country ranking - hope I'm wrong, but anything to avoid a repeat of the mass sphincter twitching that Zalgiris Vilnius caused in 96 will do.

Tbf at the time of the draw everyone would have jumped at the chance of Aberdeen talking 1 win / 1 draw from the tie or even 1 win / 1 loss or 2 draws and going through having scored more goals (or on away goals).

However, having thrashed then 3-0 away from home in the first leg there is a natural hope that a home win could now follow.

I have a feeling McInnes will be content with Thursday being the dullest match ever, just to try and avoid giving them any hope and sending us into panic mode.

Best bets are probably 0-0 or even 0-1, which sadly does nothing for the country ranking - hope I'm wrong, but anything to avoid a repeat of the mass sphincter twitching that Zalgiris Vilnius caused in 96 will do.

If he does send them out to play anti football and they do it properly then eventually the visitors will overcommit and get caught or simply give up hope and fold

While I do hope Inverness can do something in Romania, its more important for the coefficient that both Celtic and Aberdeen not only get through but win again this week. Bar Aberdeen in last years first round how many non old firm teams have won both legs in the last few years, all those extra 0.125 or 0.25 points do add up.

I for one will not be fussed as to whether we contribute to the coefficient with a win or not, so long as we go through.

In fact, I'm willing to bet we will not win on Thursday. 0-0 would do me just fine.

I for one will not be fussed as to whether we contribute to the coefficient with a win or not, so long as we go through.

In fact, I'm willing to bet we will not win on Thursday. 0-0 would do me just fine.

I hope we do, as it is much needed for all teams, but not at the expense of naive tactics.

1-0 with a late pen will do, albeit I put money on 0-0.

BBC's live Europa League text feed currently claiming that we're 44th in the club coefficients :huh:

No idea where they got that from. Even if they were looking at an "as things stand" coefficient table i.e. including 2015-16 points gained so far, we'd be 23rd.

Is disappointing that Aberdeen couldn't win, but rescued the draw and Inverness got one. Accrued 6pts so far, compared to 7pts at this point last year.

No idea where they got that from. Even if they were looking at an "as things stand" coefficient table i.e. including 2015-16 points gained so far, we'd be 23rd.

Is disappointing that Aberdeen couldn't win, but rescued the draw and Inverness got one. Accrued 6pts so far, compared to 7pts at this point last year.

Apparently it was a table comparing how each nation's clubs have done in Europe so far this season, or something. Thorough fact checking from the Beeb, and good to see that Scotland being ranked as one of the worst nations in Europe didn't set any alarm bells ringing. Probably because they were more worried about an English team's performance against someone from Malta at the time all times.

So after 2 rounds 18 of the national associations have had all their teams eliminated. The top leagues all come into the Europa league next week so that should see a lot more of the smaller leagues eliminated.

Our performance seems to be in line with the leagues around us at the start of this season.

It was someone from England who made the mistake of looking at the wrong table, presumably because no-one in England has ever needed to go and check the coefficient because they've never been in danger of falling out of the top 3.

And of course the Fair Play entry of West Ham hampers their efforts if the Hammers don't make much of an impact as the score's divided by 8 instead of 7... So far they have done reasonably well (in coefficient terms!!), by picking up 3 wins from 4 games, but of course they are only collecting points at half value. England has also got Southampton entering at the next round with a comparatively tough opponent: Vitesse Arnhem. Things may go badly.

Talking of dropping down, Denmark are right up our arse, to the tune of just 0.2 coefficient points behind us. They still have 3 teams left to our 2.

23rd to 24th wouldn't make much difference in the grand scheme of things though, but Norway are also scoring well and still have all 4 teams left.

If we fell to 25th we could face the prospect of 3 teams starting in QR1, and if we fall to 26th then "could" changes to "would".

Thankfully, the two nations behind Norway - Slovenia and Bulgaria - have lost all of their teams so can't score any more this season.

Archived